Colorado Avalanche logo redesign

Quackcom

Hello All,

Here is my first post on this awesome forum. I've been playing around with redesigning a few NHL logos, here's my take on the Colorado Avalanche. Basically making the "A" a mountain. Please let me know what you think.

A big shout out to davidson on his logo presentation video.

Colorado_Avalanche-R1.jpg

I think you're onto something here... the perspective is really, really good. But right now, I don't see an "avalanche of snow," I see a hanging curtain being blown by an open window. It's also a little too long on that right side... pulling the puck up closer to the base of the mountain would help achieve a little more balance in the design.

I think you're onto something here... the perspective is really, really good. But right now, I don't see an "avalanche of snow," I see a hanging curtain being blown by an open window. It's also a little too long on that right side... pulling the puck up closer to the base of the mountain would help achieve a little more balance in the design.

I see a dude with long hair.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's late, so perhaps I'm reading the OP wrong, but the "A" is already a mountain, is it not,?

I'd agree you are making it more "mountain-y" I also think it is less an A.

I also prefer the more graceful, yet likely less realistic, snow path on the existing logo which helps form the A. It also portrays a controlled powerful force of nature, in possession of the puck, by intent in design. As opposed to just sort of dumping a huge uncontrolled load of snow off the side of the mountain that happens to contain a puck.

The existing logo illustrates the avalanche, and the power of the avalanche, as an intelligent entity. Yours is more of just a mindless natural disaster.

I've seen complaints about the Avalanche logo, I don't really get it. Unless you are changing the name of the team, I think it is a good logo.

Alrighty, here is the next pass with a couple of the suggested modifications:

I made the A more legible

I tried to integrate the puck into the snow more. This is a bit tricky and may still require some work, I think the current Avs logo has the snow engulfing the puck too much but I'm undecided if the little snow "fire" balls are working yet.

Thanks for your input.

Colorado_Avalanche-R2.jpg

I don't think it's working.

Here's a picture that should help:

gr000023.jpg

An avalanche should look like a waterfall at the top and a thundercloud at the bottom. Right now, I think your design has too much twisting-motion at the top and not enough "thunder" at the bottom. Think of it less as a river of snow (like their current logo portrays it) and more like a waterfall.

depositphotos_22451305-Waterfall.jpg

A couple of things.

I like the way you've positioned the light blue and white, really gives it relief.

I feel the logo is still too close to the existing one, and most importantly, it is way too "off-centered" for my liking, I tend to like symetry.

But I have to admit that I like your overall treatment, I wished I knew how to work contrasts in shades like this. (p.s. I want burgundy too).

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived