Go Red Sox!

Hi guys! This is my latest logo redesign – this time it's the NY Islanders. Feedback is welcome as usual!

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0_zps0cb595e2.pn

Current logo

NYIslanderslogocomparison_zpsf63e3ac1.jp

Before After

NYIslandersprimarylogo_zpsa5b78357.jpg

Primary logo

NYIslanderssecondarylogo_zps9237f9e0.jpg

Secondary logo

NYIslanderswordmark_zpsa60a0afa.jpg

Wordmark (used on helmets)

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

While this is well done, and I can see the skyline logo being used for the move to Brooklyn, I think it needs to be noted that the lighthouse, although appropriate, is a reminder to fans of the negative "fishstick" era. The Fisherman was accompanied by a similar secondary lighthouse logo. mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.pnghttp://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/19/full/mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.png

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

While this is well done, and I can see the skyline logo being used for the move to Brooklyn, I think it needs to be noted that the lighthouse, although appropriate, is a reminder to fans of the negative "fishstick" era. The Fisherman was accompanied by a similar secondary lighthouse logo. mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.pnghttp://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/19/full/mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.png

From what I hear around, a lot of Islanders fans say this is the only positive thing to come from that era. So maybe if done right people would be happy to see it return. YOu did a good job but I agree with an above comment about the waves. I'd try to add something more to it though. It seems too static compared to the old lighthouse logo that I really like. Maybe having it at a different angle instead of straight on?

Thank you guys for all your comments. I appreciate it! I was pretty busy, so I couldn't reply to your comments as quickly as I wanted to.

@Keel, @MrWonka: Totally agree about the waves. I don't even know how many versions of waves I've had and discarded eventually. In the end I was completely unsure about the shape of them.

I will also work on the angle.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I just came to the conclusion that I will discard my NY Islanders primary logo in order to start again from scratch.

I totally agree with you (MrWonka) about the static (and rather bland) look of the entire logo. Therefore it makes much sense to redo the whole thing. Constructive criticism will always pay off. And that's why I like this site so much.

Hang on there Go...I wouldn't be throwin' out the baby with the bath-water!

First of all IMO, the lighthouse concept provides a real nice icon for the franchise. They should use it.

I wouldn't be tossing the logo you've done...that would look real sharp as a merchandising logo on a T.

You've done a nice job rendering the actual lighthouse. Keep that.

However, as THE main logo; yeah, it could be a bit more dynamic.

For the primary logo, I'd try...

- losing the script

- Filling the circle with the lighthouse

- and how about having the waves crashing around the base of the lighthouse?

You're on the right track.

Yea I wouldn't say throw it away. More of a "..let's see this" type of thing. I think it's still a great mark. I think the lighthouse needs to be shown more though. The side of the circle are pretty empty. What if you made the lighthouse bigger and have it coming out of the roundel on top? I don't know, just spittin out ideas to cover more area.

Hang on there Go...I wouldn't be throwin' out the baby with the bath-water!

First of all IMO, the lighthouse concept provides a real nice icon for the franchise. They should use it.

I wouldn't be tossing the logo you've done...that would look real sharp as a merchandising logo on a T.

You've done a nice job rendering the actual lighthouse. Keep that.

However, as THE main logo; yeah, it could be a bit more dynamic.

For the primary logo, I'd try...

- losing the script

- Filling the circle with the lighthouse

- and how about having the waves crashing around the base of the lighthouse?

You're on the right track.

Thanks sparky! I appreciate it. These are some nice ideas. I will try to put them into practice – as soon as I have time for that again.

Yea I wouldn't say throw it away. More of a "..let's see this" type of thing. I think it's still a great mark. I think the lighthouse needs to be shown more though. The side of the circle are pretty empty. What if you made the lighthouse bigger and have it coming out of the roundel on top? I don't know, just spittin out ideas to cover more area.

Thanks MrWonka, I appreciate it. I like the idea with the lighthouse coming out of the top of the roundel. Sounds good.

NYI logo is dated but it's a classic. Adding a light tower in a roundal doesn't necessarily say "Islanders" to me.It's a nice looking design but I dunno, it's a tough logo to make better since it is so good to begin with.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

The font used in the primary just feels very generic to me. Doesn't really add anything to the logo other that identifying the team.

With the Islanders moving to Brooklyn next year, I would think about swapping the primary and the secondary to symbolize the Islanders coming into the city.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Archived