W H A franchises select first players...

World Hockey Association franchises have selected their first players (or the rights to negotiating with them, at least) in advance of the league's July 17th and 18th inaugural draft. Each club was allowed to select a single player as a "Draft Exemption".

Additionally, on Saturday, July 17th, each team will select 30 NHL/AHL free agents. On Sunday, July 18th, each club will draft 30 entry level players.

The teams and their "Draft Exemption" players were:

Dallas - Brett Hull

Detroit Gladiators - Chris Chelios

Florida - Martin St. Louis

Halifax - Glenn Murray

Hamilton - Paul Kariya

Quebec - Mike Ribeiro

Toronto Toros - Chris Phillips

Brian in Boston

Not been following WHA news too closely, where's the Florida team supposed to be located?

According to the WHA website, it will be in Miami.

-_-

April 1, 2004

Miami Enters WHA Fold

The Founders of the World Hockey Association have accepted a Franchise Reservation for the city of Miami, Florida.

This brings to six the number of franchises for the inaugural season of the WHA which begins in late November or early December of 2004.

The Miami group is headed by Dan Krusz, President of Endicott Media of Boston.

His partners in the franchise are all based in South Florida. This brings to six the number of franchise agreements posted for the revived WHA.  Groups from Toronto, Hamilton, Québec, Minneapolis, and an as yet unnamed U.S. city have previously joined the league.

The WHA expects to operate with as many as 10 teams in their first season. Lease negotiations continue in a number of Canadian and U.S. cities.

8QSKdCG.png

ive also heard orlando for the Florida franchise......by the way I highly doubt Martin St Louis will play in the WHA, i read an article in the St Pete Times about his feeling on playing in the WHA and I believe that he wouldnt, but maybe im wrong

wait.....he will pass on the chance to play in this GREAT league. WHY? So, he won the Stanley Cup....so what. He could win the modern day version of the AVCO Cup! That is much better in my book. :wacko:

BTW, they should bring that (AVCO Cup) out of retirement and rename it.

avcocup.jpg

ive also heard orlando for the Florida franchise......by the way I highly doubt Martin St Louis will play in the WHA, i read an article in the St Pete Times about his feeling on playing in the WHA and I believe that he wouldnt, but maybe im wrong

He's said he'd rather make $5 million in the WHA next season than $0 sitting at home if there's a lockout, so we'll see about that.

Archived