Portland Timbers 2

kmccarthy27

Why does the USL Pro team have more chevrons? The axe being contained within the circle looks a lot better than the way it extends past the circle in the Timbers crest. Personally, an all around better looking crest. Just remove the '2' and adopt that for the senior team.

You might well be right about the slightly better proportions of the axe on the older version. However...

325px-Portland_Timbers_(MLS)_logo.svg.pnPortlandTimbers_OriginalNASLLogo.png

I look at these two, and damned near every element of the current version looks so much better to me. Are there changes I might make? Sure, there are some tweaks I'd consider. But it's head, shoulders, and nipples ahead of the old one for me.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

325px-Portland_Timbers_(MLS)_logo.svg.pnPortlandTimbers_OriginalNASLLogo.png

I look at these two, and damned near every element of the current version looks so much better to me.

Just out of curiosity, has a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist ever examined your eyesight? Have you received a sharp blow to the head recently?

:P;)

Just kidding, Kev. Just kidding. We all have our personal preferences.

That said, I honestly can't see what - with the possible exception of the wordmark font - anyone would prefer about the new Timbers' badge. I find it a clear downgrade from the former Timbers' mark on display here. In my opinion, the old logo is vastly superior to the new offering.

Well, the old Timbers' mark is certainly a product of its era, there's no question about that. Still, I think the same can be said for the current Portland mark and I don't believe that represents an improvement. The new logo strikes me as "change for change's sake"... and not well-executed change. I honestly don't think the current Timbers' badge comes close to cracking into the "Top Ten" of MLS marks.

Sorry, but a hatchet wearing a supporter's scarf doesn't do it for me. :D

Well, FWIW, this was the version I was thinking about:

timberslogo.jpg

It looks so much better without the white.

And yes, I'd stack the axe, the full chevrons and the general alignment against the MLS version anyday. Between the truncated hatchet and the uneven diagonal lines (which lose any sense of representing a tree), it's an overdone mess.

The only element I could make a case for being better in the modern one is the wordmark. But that doesn't even work in the modern one, since there's extra empty space on either side like they expected the letters to extend outwards past the circle and then never adjusted it once the squared-off wordmark was introduced.

325px-Portland_Timbers_(MLS)_logo.svg.pn

That's just wrong. There's a reason that the fans rebelled when the MLS logo was unveiled, resulting in this somewhat-improved version.

Portland+Timbers+Logo+before+and+after.p

Didn't fix all the problems, but it is a little better.

Excuse the sloppiness, as I just kind of whipped it together, but how hard would something like this have been to do?

(answer 30 minutes, and some revisions to nail down the weight of the chevron lines and roundel size.

YQCSKJU.jpg

It's far from perfect, but at least makes design sense.

Archived