NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

It's the kind of fanboy theory that only makes sense if you squint, look at it from an angle and don't really think about it.

It's not a theory that has much of a chance at reality, I agree, but I'm pretty sure he's a Pittsburgh fan.

The only franchise swap theory that makes much sense is the one where Kroenke winds up owning the Broncos, but that too is fantasy.

On a partially related note, by the way, I saw confirmation for the first time the other day that Kroenke did submit a plan to resolve his cross-ownership issues by the June 15 deadline that he had. Apparently the NFL finance committee is currently studying the plan, but the commissioner believes it will satisfy the rule. No details were given on what the plan was. I'm assuming it'll just be him formally divesting himself of the Nuggets and Avs (giving ownership to his son) as was originally anticipated years ago but apparently never took place.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't the Raiders have a really convoluted ownership situation too? Davis owns less than 50% of the team but has the contractual power to dictate all team decisions from a financial and on the field standpoint?

I'm betting Kroenke owns close to 100% of the Rams.

Don't the Raiders have a really convoluted ownership situation too? Davis owns less than 50% of the team but has the contractual power to dictate all team decisions from a financial and on the field standpoint?

I can't find the details, but you're right.

Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez (Georgia Frontierre's children) maintain a minority ownership stake, but Kroenke owns at least 70% of the Rams and more likely something above 90%.

The only thing I can find right now is something from the time of purchase that stated Kroenke would buy half of Rosenbloom's and Rodriguez's 60% immediately (he already owned 40%), and the other half at a later date. I can't be certain that later date has come, but it probably has and even if it hasn't, it may be a contractually binding anyways. That 60% number can't be quite right either since they were retaining a small stake (something I've read in multiple places), but the point is Kroenke owns almost everything.

And yes, I don't think the Raiders ownership split is public information, but I believe what you've stated is pretty accurate as best we know.

The Davis family reportedly controls between 47-52% of the Raiders.

However, with recent changes in the NFL Constitution in May, the percentage has been lowered even more as irrevocable family trusts are now permitted with one family member only needing 5% ownership to be considered the "owner".

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/05/25/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-trust.aspx?

Ok, getting past all of the political stuff in the NFL.

At a base level it makes NO sense to allow either the Rams or Chargers to have priority moving to LA over the Raiders given the stadium situations in their respective home markets.

It just makes absolutely zero sense when you get to the core of the issue.

Who's giving the Rams and Chargers "priority" to move over the Raiders?

Well, the new theory that the Rams and Chargers will work together in Inglewood could certainly be viewed this way.

Of course, there's reasons for why the NFL would want to do it. But it does leave the Raiders in the worst stadium in the league or relocating elsewhere (or just semi-relocating within Santa Clara).

But the business realities are that the guy with the least financial pull isn't going to get priority. Davis has to hope he can latch on to something good.

The Raiders ownership situation is quite convoluted, and has been since Al Davis took charge in what was essentially a hostile takeover with friendly elements. In that move, Davis was able to take operational control with less than a third (33%) of actual ownership. Over time, he'd consolidate his interests through a holding corporation (A.D. Football, Inc.) that was the managing general partner of the entity that actually holds the Raiders franchise - thus Al's confusing-sounding title of "President of the Managing General Partner." But there were other general partners through at least the 1970's, and there are tons of limited partners even now. I'm not sure how the Raiders entities are structured exactly, but if you look at how the Boston Celtics or Los Angeles Dodgers are, they're a tapestry of numerous interwoven entities, each owned by the next one up the pyramid, with the one holding the actual franchise from its league usually as close to the bottom of the pile as possible for liability purposes.

The Davis family reportedly controls between 47-52% of the Raiders.

That report's liable to be accurate, but it's not likely 50% anymore. At the time of Al Davis' death, his wife Carol inherited A.D. Football, Inc. (see above), which likely held between 55-60% of the team's ownership interests. While she turned management of A.D. Football, Inc. (and thus, the Raiders) over to their son Mark upon Al's death, she still holds the shares, but reportedly A.D. Football, Inc. has sold off small pieces of the team for tax purposes to facilitate the final transition to Mark.

nav-logo.png

Things will only get more confusing when the ownership partners fight and split into A.D. Football Hollywood and A.D. Football Wolfpac.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived