Nike, NFL extend deal through 2019

WinTheDay8

I'm so glad that Nike is back. They are miles ahead of any company,make the best designs, and their uniforms are much more comfortable than they 2000s shiny garbage. They have improved looks, (MIN, MIA, SEA) and all Jacksonville needs is a full matte helmet. And all TB needs is I different # font. The only thing I'd like is to try to make the jets greens match a little better, but other than that they did a great job so far and can't wait to see what comes in the future.

May I ask what planet you are from? anyone can have an opinion. That is just one I haven't heard in awhile.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad that Nike is back. They are miles ahead of any company,make the best designs, and their uniforms are much more comfortable than they 2000s shiny garbage. They have improved looks, (MIN, MIA, SEA) and all Jacksonville needs is a full matte helmet. And all TB needs is I different # font. The only thing I'd like is to try to make the jets greens match a little better, but other than that they did a great job so far and can't wait to see what comes in the future.

May I ask what planet you are from? anyone can have an opinion. That is just one I haven't heard in awhile.

Nike has let some real trash designs into the league, but if not Nike then who, really?

The only other companies I could imagine jumping into the fray would be Under Armour or Adidas. As far as templates go, I would pretty much die if I had to watch that crummy Adidas TechFit seep into the league, and UA's template is essentially a mix between Adidas and Nike, so eh. Overall, I prefer the Elite 51 for bringing uniformity to the league after the chaos that Reebok left, and for looking the least tank-toppish.

In the design department, I'd say Nike and UA are on even footing as both have shown to be very hit or miss with their brands and alts. Adidas, on the other hand, really doesn't even deserve a mention here. They are just capable of so much gross.

All that leaves is the shiny/matte pants issue. While Nike does catch a lot of flak for bringing their lame flat pants into the league, it can be overlooked that UA and Adidas have fallen prey to this trend as well, so that'd leave the issue unfixed. The only major remaining major option would be the ex; ol' Reebok, who do seem to have retained a degree of shine in their britches during their current CFL gig. However, a quick look at a recent image this should be enough to remind us why we don't miss that old flame. (Old habits die hard, it seems.)

Overall, while I'm definitely not going to be an apologist for Nike and the eyesores that they have wrought upon this league, I cannot at this moment see a reason to want to switch gears, really. Under Armour would be fine, I suppose, but it can't really get better unless overall design trends get better. All that's left for questioning now is what a modern Puma NFL uni would look like.

At the end of the day, Nike being Nike is better than Adidas or UA trying to out-Nike Nike.

I'd actually reluctantly agree with this, but (as I ask every time we have this discussion) why is that the only choices?

What I'd like to see? The NFL make a deal with one of the big boys for all licensed gear... hats, jackets, performance wear, whatever... but the on-field uniform should be left up to each team. It wasn't that long ago (at least to those of us born before 1980) that this was exactly the case. I want every team to make their own on-field look a product of their own in-house decision making process. Choose the independent design firm that they feel best suits them, design a uniform, and pass that design on to a manufacturer. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, that manufacturer can be Nike, as long as they know their role. And that role is to meet the expectations of the team, with no self promotion bleeding into the design.

And, yes, I know it's not going to happen.

Theoretically the shield could produce its own branded merchandise or use a private label supplier and sell it themselves pocketing even bigger margins but that would require some added overhead on their part in terms of bringing apparel in house. What that could do is free up the logo space for any advertiser's mark (e.g. seahawks sport a xbox logo on the shoulders where the swoosh is) as opposed to sportswear labels won the contract which could be a bigger revenue stream for the league. Their current model of contracting out merchandise does offer $$$ up front which every business tends to favor.

At some point all league will likely go euro hockey and put multiple ads everywhere, oh well.

Theoretically the shield could produce its own branded merchandise or use a private label supplier and sell it themselves pocketing even bigger margins but that would require some added overhead on their part in terms of bringing apparel in house. What that could do is free up the logo space for any advertiser's mark (e.g. seahawks sport a xbox logo on the shoulders where the swoosh is) as opposed to sportswear labels won the contract which could be a bigger revenue stream for the league. Their current model of contracting out merchandise does offer $$$ up front which every business tends to favor.

At some point all league will likely go euro hockey and put multiple ads everywhere, oh well.

If this were to happen I think we'd see them where they sit on practice jerseys. I think the NFL would just come up with some ugly font design to promote their other products (NFL Network, NFL Films, NFL.com).

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I like Albuquerque Assclowns, that would be a great XFL team.

TheOldRoman, on 19 Mar 2015 - 16:44, said:

But that goes with what he's saying. The MLB says you can't name your team the Albuquerque Assclowns, but if you wanted to call them the Albuquerque Stars, they'd probably not have a problem with it. The league is going to let the owner call the shots until he does something objectionable. The NFL would probably let a team design whatever awful helmet it wants until it gets to the point the helmet can't be easily reproduced in graphic form or doesn't photograph/record well in certain settings.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

wonder if this means we will see the Thursday Night special uniforms?

I hope not. Special uniforms that have to fit within each teams color palette could lead to some ugly ideas.

Thank God for the one helmet rule.

That's specifically why I'm not a fan of that idea. If they were to change helmets too you could see better looks.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived