Reimagining the NBA... Raptors unis

dgnmrwrw

I've always had a soft spot for the Rocket's "pajamas" look of the late 1990s, mostly because I cheered for those teams. But I thought that the navy-and-red era at least tried much harder (thought it certainly often failed) to evoke the "Rockets" nickname and space exploration's association with the city of Houston much more than the older (let's be honest) generic, blander red-and-yellow days did.

So I've attempted a (very rough and early) attempt to go back in time and reinterpret that old take on the Rockets identity. Right now, I've got home and road uniforms, with an alternate logo (based on their old one). I've tweaked the colors, kept the beveling on the type, and treated the pinstripes like the modern version of the Hornets have: shifting them to the side panels to keep the rest of the uniform clean. There are lots of gradients, but I think that a team with the nickname "Rockets" can make them work: I think about the fading contrails of fuel boosters and the fade from the Earth's atmosphere into space.

I apologize for the template; it's one I made years ago, and it was the only usable one I had close at hand. If anyone can send me a better/more modern one, I'd love it. But I'd love some C+C on what I've got so far.

LifOMHl.png

szRbzF6.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Excellent concept you put together...I wish that they could have worn this during the mid-to-late 90s.

One small critique--I think you should keep the front numerals standing straight up rather being slanted. Beyond that, it's very well done.

Thats incredible!! Like Jelly said, the lowercase T on both of those kinda bugs me. Other than that, its great. What template do you use? I've been looking to find one that has the side paneling on it.

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

Excellent work! The only suggestions I'd make would be to put some matching trim on the collar because it looks strange without it, take the Adidas logo off the front for realism, and try a red/yellow color scheme. I know you mentioned that it was "generic" in your OP, but red/white/blue is even more generic, and this design would be unique enough to work with their old-school colors.

Minor details aside, however, this is probably the best Rockets concept I've seen. Do you plan on doing an NBA series like your NHL Super League?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This is very, very nice! I really admire the fact that you took some elements of that time frame and re-integrated them in such a way to make them totally work today. Count me in as another that has a soft spot for the "pajamas" (they're the only Rockets I really knew until the current set, I still think of the Rockets in the 90's set!). I too agree that it probably did more to evoke the space theme than it's predecessors, so I'm glad to see a concept embrace that and modernize it to fit today's design standards.

I think my one critique after giving it a close look is that I don't think the upper side panels need as many stars - you could probably have a little fewer and it can get the point across well without being too..."starry", for lack of a better word :P because right now it sort of has a tiny bit of an early 90's Sixers vibe to it. Just eliminate a couple stars here and there, and you've nailed it.

I too agree that this is the best Rockets concept I've ever seen! Fantastic work all around. If I were ever to be given total control of the Rockets, this hits the court, no doubt.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

As a Rockets fan, I say these are a beaut. I stilll have my Barkley "Snaggletooth" era jersey in my closet. This definitely feels like a "Space City" team. Maybe a red alternate if you have any ideas?

I agree with the front number being straight instead of slanted though.

I actually really like them. I don't like the lower case t for this wordmark though. Have you tried a minimalist look, with the wordmark being red on the away?

In the end, nothing could convince me that returning to a 25 year old championship brand wouldn't be the best. Even if we stayed red white and blue since 96 til today, i would want to return to the classic colors simply bc of the history and the back to back championships.

I know at first thought red and yellow doesn't make sense for a team called Rockets in Space City. But, Dreams epic run and those 2 rings sealed this team as a red and yellow/gold team in nearly all Rockets fans 28+ years old. The yellow can be turned into a metallic gold in which you find a lot in lunar crafts that are wrapped in a beautiful gold foil. chinas-yutu-moon-rover.jpg?itok=l6afDFQq

gold-1-590x330.jpg

And of course there is our very own sun. Though actually white, it looks yellow to us on earth(and red to others). The sun of course can used as a backdrop to the Rocket lifting off in a logo.

Still, i wouldn't mind an away version based on the late 90s set for an alternate. Yours would be nice. Great job and i must say the side panels are the most creative ive seen for a Rockets concept! Love it.

Could you post a bigger and clearer pic of the Rockets logo you made?

I think only being able to base from the current size, it looks pretty sweet but may not be getting all the love it deserves since it's pretty small even when zoomed in.

Thanks everyone for the comments; I thought I had already replied but I obviously didn't. I see two themes developing: First, that the lower case T is awkward. I guess I should have mentioned that this was sort of a "melding" of eras, so I based the wordmarks on a combination of the championship-era marks (with the lower case T) and the pajama look. I liked it, but if the consensus is that it's just not working, I'm open to changing it. Second, a lot of you seem to want to see this redone with a red-and-yellow scheme. I had looked at it briefly, and I'm certainly open to going that route. I do, however, think that the fading colors/stars won't work without the dark blue.

Also, I'd definitely like to develop this into a series of reimagining 1990s-era NBA looks (for the sake of my own nostalgia), while sort of combining multiple eras of each team. I'm working on a couple of teams right now, but here's a teaser of the next concept. Should be obvious.

7mWwVgI.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Wow, how did I not see this earlier? Like you, I honestly like the 90s' Rockets ideas, they just pushed the envelope a little too far. Your uniform takes those elements and puts them in a reasonable fashion. I don't mind the lowercase T as much as others do, but I wouldn't mind if you change it. Also, I saw that you updated the alternate logo, would you mind posting a larger picture?

I'll certainly be following this thread.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived