MLB Rivalry Series-Ohio Cup: Reds vs. Indians

Discrim

I'll admit, I was stuck on this one for a while...but here goes the Ohio duo, starting with the red legged.

redsrivalry.png

The home set...I'd mentioned a few sets ago that I'd be dipping into my TATC roots...and like that guy who don't like mens no more, I...HAVE...DELIVERED. Figured I'd give em red pants, as a nod to the uniform the Reds wore when they hosted the big leagues' first night game. The main highlight, of course, is Mr. Redlegs wearing a jersey...of himself wearing a jersey...of himself wearing a jersey. The road set, meanwhile, is another one that took inspiration from basketball, the Jerry Lucas-Oscar Robertson era Cincinnati Royals to be specific (before the home set I'd decided on, I was considering a Bob Huggins era Cincinnati hoops-inspired set)

Going forward without Chief Wahoo was what held this set up...I finally put together a feather C I was satisfied enough with to trot out.

indiansrivalry.png

Much as I like Chief Wahoo...and loathe the block C...I figured this would be a good opportunity to test out an attempt at the best of both worlds, thus this feather C that's on the caps and left sleeves. Another basketball-inspired set here, in this case the 70s Cavs. Brought the old Cleveland script back...and for anyone who wants to harp about the cap C not matching the script's C, when the hell has the Cubs' C ever matched any of their Chicago scripts? Or the Reds' C for that matter?

A small note, I'd considered using tan in this set...but then remembered the Twins adding gold. Damn you Twins.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I prefer Chief Wahoo too but seeing that he'll eventually be phased out completely this is a good look for the Tribe. Cincinnati definitely has that TATC vibe on the home kits and an alternate reality MLB throwback on the road unis. Good job on these. I really like the DePaul striping on the Indians, reminds me of the uniforms they had right before moving into Jacobs Field.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Awesome job, Discrimihater. I really like the Reds set and the re-designed Mr. Redlegs. What's the sleeve patch on the Reds home jersey?

Is this the last one or will be doing an Astros/Rangers "Lone Star Series" pairing? That's the only remaining MLB rivalry that I think would really be worth doing.

Good job on these! The feather C is a nicely done logo. I'd love it if they adopted something like that in real life. I also like the alternating stripe section pattern on Cleveland's unis. It has a colorful, tribal vibe to it. I think Cincinnati's away jerseys could use a little lighter color, maybe some white outlining. It feels kind of bare and dark as it is.

Great work in all, though! Especially with creating a new logo from scratch/

☦ICXC NIKA

I prefer Chief Wahoo too but seeing that he'll eventually be phased out completely this is a good look for the Tribe. Cincinnati definitely has that TATC vibe on the home kits and an alternate reality MLB throwback on the road unis. Good job on these. I really like the DePaul striping on the Indians, reminds me of the uniforms they had right before moving into Jacobs Field.

Funny you mention the Major League set...Cleveland's roads were originally gonna use that jersey's striping. Sort of. Not a red-yellow-green Dodgers level WTF jersey, but it would've been in the neighborhood, and I figured one good design for both unis was better than one being good, the other being crappy.

Awesome job, Discrimihater. I really like the Reds set and the re-designed Mr. Redlegs. What's the sleeve patch on the Reds home jersey?

Is this the last one or will be doing an Astros/Rangers "Lone Star Series" pairing? That's the only remaining MLB rivalry that I think would really be worth doing.

The sleeve patch is one of the modernized NL logos, which I decided to put on a gold background...and no, this isn't the last one, Brewers-Twins and Marlins-Rays will be the last two in the main series (The only one of those I haven't settled on an idea for yet is the Rays. The Twins set will be heavily influenced by the handshake guys, one of the Brewers' unis will be based off of their TATC jersey, and the Marlins will have a vest. I might do some Cavfanatic-ish era blending for the Rays). I have been thinking of what would be a sort of bonus mini-series, though. Astros-Rangers would be a part of that, though I'll be blunt, the main impetus behind it will be an Expos-Blue Jays set I've thought about, but haven't really even doodled yet.

Good job on these! The feather C is a nicely done logo. I'd love it if they adopted something like that in real life. I also like the alternating stripe section pattern on Cleveland's unis. It has a colorful, tribal vibe to it. I think Cincinnati's away jerseys could use a little lighter color, maybe some white outlining. It feels kind of bare and dark as it is.

Great work in all, though! Especially with creating a new logo from scratch/

Honestly, given that as mentioned, Wahoo's being phased out, I wish I'd done the idea I had behind the feather C more justice, but thanks anyway. As far as the Reds road, I honestly felt a white outline wasn't really necessary, and might even have detracted from what I was going for.

With Chief Wahoo having the feather "up", I'd flip the C so the feather was along the top part of the C. It's much nicer than just having the feather sticking off of the C the way it is

Therein lies the rub....I'd mentioned I was satisfied, but I figure if I post something like an Indians rebrand, this C would either have a more detailed feather or I'd decide to junk this version and make a new one that'd likely resemble the 70s C. I wanted to avoid a Redskins/Utah ripoff if at all possible.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The sleeve patch is one of the modernized NL logos, which I decided to put on a gold background...and no, this isn't the last one, Brewers-Twins and Marlins-Rays will be the last two in the main series (The only one of those I haven't settled on an idea for yet is the Rays. The Twins set will be heavily influenced by the handshake guys, one of the Brewers' unis will be based off of their TATC jersey, and the Marlins will have a vest. I might do some Cavfanatic-ish era blending for the Rays). I have been thinking of what would be a sort of bonus mini-series, though. Astros-Rangers would be a part of that, though I'll be blunt, the main impetus behind it will be an Expos-Blue Jays set I've thought about, but haven't really even doodled yet.

I'll be anxiously looking forward to the Rays-Marlins ("Citrus Series") and Brewers-Twins concepts and I hope you do decide to do the Lone Star Series. Anyone know if the Brewers-Twins rivalry has a name?

• 3 weeks later...

The home cap for the Reds is really nice and I love how you kept their number font (minus the drop shadow) and didn't go with the generic standardized font that half the league uses.

Archived