BigRed's MLB and More (Brooklyn Added, Series Complete!)

BigRed618

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Carolina set (being from South Carolina), I think if you're going to pay so much homage to the specific "triangle" region in NC and only those 3 schools, then there's no point in trying to include S.Carolina into the region with the general "Carolina" name.. We feel left out enough as it is with teams who don't use NC-specific imagery and nicknames, but it would be a huge slap in SC's face to try and do it with this club..

Otherwise, I generally love this series, especially your new Expos logo and some of the uniforms throughout the thread.. Apart from the triangles nickname and logo, the color scheme and uniforms are very unique and I like it.

• 1 month later...

NEW ORLEANS CRESCENTS

no_Crescents.png

Sorry for the long hiatus. Honestly, I was getting burned out on this series, but I was convinced to continue. I've already gotten this far, might as well see it to the end. The Crescents got there name from NO's nickname, the Crescent City, and went with purple and gold for their colors. These colors were only used once in pro sports in NOLA, by the NBA's Jazz, and is currently being worn by Louisiana's biggest college, LSU. I thought about making a wordmark, but I thought it would look cooler if I put the player number inside the moon logo. The multicolor hat is an alternate, perfect for Mardi Gras, although I'm not sure if it would look that great out on the field. It would certainly sell, though.

C&C, please and thank you. Iowa is next.

Love the Crescents! That magenta-yellow color scheme looks great along with the Mardi Gras colors on the cap. The chest logo is very clever especially with the stitches on the moon. Really happy to see this project back in action.

Looking forward to seeing the Pups!

IOWA PUPS

ia_Pups.png

This was inspired by the Iowa Cubs, AAA affiliate to the Chicago Cubs. I figured that if the I-Cubs could have their own identity, it would be more of a tribute or parody of thir parent Club. That where I got the idea for the Pups. The primary, the cap logo, and the sleeve patch are meant to mimic, in one way or another, the logos the Little Bears use. The canine on the secondary is meant to be ambiguous. Could be a wolf, or a fox, or a coyote. It's all up to the observer.

C&C, please and thank you. Only two teams left to go! Brooklyn is next.

Really impressed by this Iowa concept! Intentional or not, that "Pups" logo looks like the Cubs' 1918 road jersey logo. And the face logo is a clever take on the '60s Cubs bear logo. All in all, everything about this concept hangs together really well.

Thanks everyone for your patience. I'll have the next concept up soon. I decided to do Portland next and save the Blue Sox for last.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to your plans for Alberta, Indianapolis and Buffalo?

They're not part of the project anymore. Simple as that. I want to get this done so I can move on, and this time I don't care how disappointed you get. If you don't like this, you're free to look at someone else's concepts.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I just noticed they had been removed from your original list of teams. I am looking forward to the final two teams in this series!

I'm sorry too. I really do appreciate having at least one person giving feedback on my work. As I explained in our earlier conversation, I made this series bigger than I should've, and I figured doing this would be the best way to go without upsetting too many people.

This may sound odd but I am frustrated that you haven't received more feedback in this thread. You have some of the most imaginative, interesting concepts I've seen on this forum and it's a shame more people don't appreciate that enough to give you feedback.

Just a side note, when the Dbacks unveiled their new unis, I immediately thought of this thread because they look Iike something you would have designed!

• 2 weeks later...

PORTLAND BEAVERS

por_Beavers.png

I don't remember when I saw it or who did it, but I recall someone here creating a beaver logo that was positioned to look like a letter B. I thought that was cool, so I came up with one of my own. His tail is decorated with hypocycloids, a symbol of Portland, which also appears throughout the uniform.

Almost got it done. Brooklyn Blue Sox are next.

Lots of interesting stuff going on with the Beavers. Great and distinctive color scheme, clever logo and the player number above the team name is an interesting idea.

I've been looking forward to seeing the Blue Sox this entire series!

• 4 weeks later...

BROOKLYN BLUE SOX

Thank you to everyone who's stuck with me throughout the series, but this will be the finale. With this done, I can focus more on my football concepts.

The Major Leagues will expand again eventually, and one of the locales under serious consideration is Brooklyn, NY. With the name Dodgers taken, I wanted to come up with an identity that could be an instant classic like the Dodgers, like they've been around for decades. This is how Blue Sox came to mind. The biggest challenge, and the reason it took so long to make this was coming up with a unique identity that didn't look like it was copying off the other "Sox" teams. The cap logo was once used by the Braves in the mid '30s, and I thought it would still look good today.

The primary was inspired by the few teams that have obscure nicknames along with animal mascots. The A's have their elephant, the NFL's Browns have the bulldog, and to a lesser extent, the NBA's Lakers have the giraffe. For my Blue Sox, I came up with... A Siamese cat. I figured their dark paws, which resemble socks, would represent the blue socks the players would wear. I hand-drew the emblem myself. Not very intimidating, I know, but I'm a firm believer in the team's performance making a logo intimidating or not. 

Well, here it is. C&C appreciated, as always. I hope you enjoyed the series.

image.jpeg

This last concept was worth the wait. Very clever logo and I love the Pirates' esque "B" logo.

I've enjoyed this series so much, I'm going to start following your NFL project more closely, even though I'm not a big football fan.

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2015 at 3:29 PM, timberwolf said:

Portland looks good.

I believe the beaver logo was created by sparky chewbarky (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

That was my first thought, too, but he said in the write up that he was inspired by a similar logo done by someone on here (I'm assuming Sparky).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived