Toronto Rogers Centre/BMO Field discussion

Magnus

Sorry man, I'm not following you here.

The roster of TFC has nothing to do with why the stadium was built....I'm not seeing the connection you are trying to make here.

Also...what about the women's team? The u21 sides? This isn't just about the top flight men's side.

Wasn't a reason BMO was greenlit with public funding was so that Canadian soccer could be lifted up with the new 'national' stadium?

That just seems so secondary right now as all. Unfortunately, because anything short of being top 50 in the world (men's) is practically a disgrace.

You are correct, that was why it was greenlit. That was the point I was trying to make too, lol. Guess we are saying the same thing.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think some of what he saying was, IIRC, part of the reason behind TFC's initial formation (being the first Canadian MLS team) would be to attract domestic players to play together on a domestic team. Hasn't quite worked out perfectly like that (to be fair, MLS could only dream of getting someone like Giovinco in the prime of their career ~10 years ago) but there was definitely a purpose for the national team behind it rather than only a home field.

Yeah, while I'd prefer to see enough CMNT talent getting playing time in MLS (if they're otherwise warming the bench in Europe or S.America), I frankly couldn't care less if they're lining up for TFC, Dallas, or Orlando.

I just think it's funny that part of the BMO sales pitch was to help the CSA via TFC's inception.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I guess it's just how you see it. I see TFC (Montreal and Vancouver too) existing and the academies they built as a pathway for children playing the game to get to a top level and giving them a clear path to follow. For me it's about developing a grass-roots level and out of that we see more Canadians playing at a professional level (regardless of the club or league) which gives a deeper pool of players for the national teams........and getting back on point, restricting the top level (and yes, I know Montreal's stade stapudo can be used for dates) will have a trickle down effect.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

FWIW: https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/603232879141851136

Duane Rollins

Was told on weekend and have had it confirmed now that MLSE now prefers the 2 surfaces, 1 stadium solution to BMO. Looking seriously at it.

Article discussing the solution, from an Argos blog:

Argos Admirals: The Toronto Argonauts Have No Place On The Pitch

http://argosadmirals.com/2015/03/24/the-torotno-argonauts-have-no-place-on-the-pitch/

I meant to post that article here when I read it last week, I guess I forgot.

Anyway, that seems like the best solution for both parties involved. TFC doesn't get their pitch mucked up by football, and the Argos can put as many logos and such as they want on their field.

I wish people stop saying "pitch", it's not a pitch, it's a field. It's North America, not freakin' Europe, stop being so pretentious...

Pitch...

pitch-creosote-mixture-250x250.jpg

Pitch...

546b33cecaefe8d673fcd9b48bc86ca8.jpg

Field....

Title%2BPic.png

giphy.gif

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

FWIW: https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/603232879141851136

Duane Rollins

Was told on weekend and have had it confirmed now that MLSE now prefers the 2 surfaces, 1 stadium solution to BMO. Looking seriously at it.

Article discussing the solution, from an Argos blog:

Argos Admirals: The Toronto Argonauts Have No Place On The Pitch

http://argosadmirals.com/2015/03/24/the-torotno-argonauts-have-no-place-on-the-pitch/

Yeah, Duane posted that a while back, great read and a great solution in terms of the playing surfaces.

Also, if the turn around time can be quick then the potential to loose too many dates is reduced as well when speaking about the availability to the national teams.

Semi-OT, but I think any moment, the ol' stadium's history should be celebrated once more...have 'em rename it the "Rogers Skydome" for the best of both worlds.

bYhYmxh.png

Semi-OT, but I think any moment, the ol' stadium's history should be celebrated once more...have 'em rename it the "Rogers Skydome" for the best of both worlds.

lols Rogers... if the roof gets stuck, ask them if they've first turned it off & waited 10 seconds before turning it on again.

@2001mark

Not for Rogers. I read a while back that they didn't want it to be called the Rogers Skydome because everybody would just keep calling it the Skydome and nobody would have to say Rogers whenever they talk about the dome. I don't know what's worse, that or the statue they had erected a couple of years ago.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Not for Rogers. I read a while back that they didn't want it to be called the Rogers Skydome because everybody would just keep calling it the Skydome and nobody would have to say Rogers whenever they talk about the dome. I don't know what's worse, that or the statue they had erected a couple of years ago.

The statue should've been hauled off with Captain John's scrap metal.

@2001mark

The statue should've been hauled off with Captain John's scrap metal.

My preference:

Statue-Saddam-Hussein-012.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived