Fixing the leotards - NFL road sock concepts

oldschoolvikings

One of my biggest uniform pet peeves is the current trend in the NFL of teams wearing dark pants with the same color dark socks, or as it's usually known around here, the "leotard look"...

77196161-590x395.jpg

That is just nasty on so many levels. By my count, last season there were 15 teams that subjected us to this horrific look at least once. (I'm not entirely sure about Miami... they supposedly have a pair of socks with a contrasting blue top to break up the leotard but I don't know for sure if they were worn.) Only the Bears, Patriots, Jets, and Chiefs still have the good taste and common sense to have a second pair of socks design specifically to contrast with their dark pants.

Anyway, here's my proposed fix for 14 of those teams. I didn't include Cleveland because their new uniform, besides being ridiculous any number of ways, has yet to be worn as a leotard, and based on the sock options, doesn't need to be.

pants2_zpsbyomvrtm.png

In my mind, all these looks would be worn with a white jersey (except Baltimore, which could be worn with the purple)... in my world monochrome wouldn't happen in the NFL, only in small time High Schools, where it belongs. These are a mixture of white socks with stripes and contrasting color dark socks... whichever I felt worked best. I avoided making solid color socks in really light colors... gold, gray, or yellow... the Lions tried that back in the 90's and it really didn't work. Also, the Cardinals, Bengals, and Texans could be doing this right now... these sock options are already available to them.

The leotards aren't bad, and I think this would only work for some teams. It would work for the Vikings, the Eagles, the Patriots,the Bengals, the Ravens, the Titans, the Jaguars, and the Broncos. Teams with white socks aren't doing it for me.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

If the teams were smart enough to make the Top half of the sock either secondary or tertiary team color with primary and secondary/tertiary striping, and bottom half white, it would alleviate the issue for almost all teams, as well as prevent the need for a 2nd pair.. Obviously teams like the packers can avoid the issue by remaining consistent with their pants, but other teams could accentuate their trim/striping colors more by featuring it more prominently on their socks as well as avoid the leotard look and avoid a need for a 2nd pair

only one problem: Denver doesn't (also can't) wear blue pants on the road. The only time they wear the blue pants anymore is with the blue jersey (as originally intended.) That in mind, even if they were wearing the all blue outfit, the orange topped socks would stick out like a sore thumb. I like all the other concepts, though... especially those Vikings ones. i'd buy a pair of those.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

only one problem: Denver doesn't (also can't) wear blue pants on the road. The only time they wear the blue pants anymore is with the blue jersey (as originally intended.) That in mind, even if they were wearing the all blue outfit, the orange topped socks would stick out like a sore thumb. I like all the other concepts, though... especially those Vikings ones. i'd buy a pair of those.

Yeah, that's a really good point. It occurred to me after I originally posted that their navy pants only go with their navy jerseys. That being said, I'd still wear orange socks with the navy pants. I'm not sure I really agree that they'd stick out that bad (man, this board seems obsessed with sore thumbs recently), but even if the did, in my mind that's infinitely preferable to the leotard look. In fact, I'd really have to stretch my mind to find something that makes my teeth ache worse than seeing a supposedly professional football team wearing a single dark color from waist to ankle. Ghastly.

The Saints and Ravens look good on leotards. They look silly with white or colored socks.

Wow, I couldn't possibly disagree more. When the Saints and Ravens wear all black from the waist down, not only is it just an all around bad look, it makes the players themselves look like morons. I don't know if I can properly described my disdain for those two teams when dressed like that. Easily my least favorite trend in sports uniforms.

I'm not sure why the Broncos never created a white jersey with orange side panels.. Granted it may not be their best look, but you can only have one "best" look.. They obviously didn't mind alternating between blue and white pants for the home look, in addition to having two completely different sets of white pants.. You could just as easily add a second white jersey to pair with the white pants/orange panels, as well as the blue pants/orange panels.. It may be a moot point now, but they spent several years with these uniforms with much less uniform regulation, that they could've tinkered with it at least once by now..

Archived