New to logo making. Could I get some C&C?

R3G

I've made plenty of logos in the past year or so, but I really started revamping my way of logo making, because my older logos aren't that good. But anyways, I'm new to this method I'm using, and I'd really appreciate C&C. I've made three in this new way, and I really just want advice on how to fix these or make them better.

21359467095_e244d07ea8_o.png

21171356230_7ee7b238ae_o.png

21359467185_d5861739ef_o.png

Thanks a ton guys! Hopefully I can make these into really good logos!

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

My personal favorite is the Spades. It's very clean and it's very simple. I don't like the Knicks or Thunder logos as much. The Knicks logo has a bit too much gray for me. Plus, the outline on the ball is kind of weird, since it's two colors. For the Thunder: it's cool that you incorporated the skull, but it needs something that has to do with Thunder.

I think the Thunder has potential, and could tie in with a far more interesting take on the the name than their current logos have- a thundering herd of bison. Since Marshall uses live bison for its Thundering Herd, some deal may need to be made, but I think it would be worth it. On the skull itself, are there artificial covers on the horns?

The Las Vegas Spades is clean and simple, but that is considered a derogatory racial nickname...

I like the Knicks concept, but some details would make it better, in my mind. The background rounded rectangle for the wordmark should be white, for clearer contrast. The white and black "shadows" beside the ball don't work for me- I think if they were kept, choose just black or white for both sides. Finally, the Empire State Building is good- I think it could be even more effective if the visual angle were rotated even further downward, to emphasise its height that much more.

A last comment on the Thunder and the Knicks, is the colours seem a bit muted overall- this may be intentional, to give an "old fashioned" feel, but this comes across to me sometimes as if I'm looking through a veil or a fog at them, and reduces the contrast needed to see them clearly.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

The spade just looks tacked on the top and doesn't flow with the logo to well. Try to find a way to make it so it doesn't look so awkward. And the Thunder logo does indeed look a lot like the bulls logo.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

I think the thunder logo needs words on the eyes, bring them closer to the front and make them bigger.

The spades logo just needs the angle of the spade altering so that it matches the text

The Knicks logo has a lot of potential. I would change the white as that colour doesn't feature anywhere else on the logo. The spacing between the "Knicks" letters needs adjusting as some letters are touching and others are not. Make the seams of the basketball the same on both sides. Finally the text box kinda looks like it's just be put on over the top of the logo, if you could work on the box, maybe remove the outline or have the outline stop at the building?

Anyway good work so far! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

The Las Vegas Spades is clean and simple, but that is considered a derogatory racial nickname...

Really? Never heard of this...

I'd agree with most here though - the knicks one has definite potential - love the shading on the empire states building. I think it's kinda cool how the words look like a licence plate, I'm not sure if that's what you were intending but I kinda like it.

Find the spades one a bit basic, although not terrible - I'd love to see some more creative ideas tried out, even if they don't pan out.

OKC Thunder seems decent, partially because it looks like an idea I had for a regina soccer team, I actually think its suffering from the same issue I had at first, a few two many colours makes it look a little clip-arty.

The Spades logo looks vastly different compared to the Thunder and Knicks logos. The Thunder and Knicks logos essentially have similar lettering and the logos look put together the same way while the Spades look professionally done. (Not saying you're not a pro concept artist). The logos and woodmarks are just inconsistent with each other. Overall it's a good start.

Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone! It means a lot, and helps a lot.

Took into account a lot of the CC I got, and revised the Knicks logo. I really like it. Please leave more! I'll revise the Thunder next!

20806138743_9e2b43b416_o.png

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

Something to consider for all your logos is line weight. Some of your linework is too thin. To test it, zoom out on the logo and notice what disappears to determine what should be thickened/simplified/eliminated.

rATMcmK.png

Archived