2015 college football postseason (lower divisions)

4_tattoos

I figure whoever wins in Alliance will probably win the Stagg Bowl, though having said that, Whitewater's a bit more beatable than Mount this year. If Mount wins, I'm sorry to any Linfield or St. Thomas fans, but on the other side of the bracket, one team has been on an insanely dominant run (that almost nobody saw coming when it started, mind you) where only two other schools have beaten them more than once; the other has been absurdly dominant to the point that the last time they didn't win their conference, many of us were either in elementary school or weren't born yet, and in the last decade, only one other team has been able to defeat them at all. Them's long odds.

Fun fact: last Stagg Bowl to not involve either Mount or UWW: 2004 (Linfield vs Mary Hardin-Baylor)

Fun fact 2: last Stagg Bowl to not involve any of this year's semifinalists: 1999 (Pacific Lutheran vs Rowan...more popsicles, my man)

You gotta feel for Wesley, kind of. They've been the Army to Mount Union's Navy in the last decade.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about:

FCS title game: Knute Rockne Bowl

D-II title game: Jim Thorpe Bowl

Figured these would work, given the similar era. If his name weren't so inextricably linked with youth football, I'd have considered a Pop Warner Bowl, and I'm not sure how odd folks would find a "Heisman Bowl."

2016cubscreamsig.png

Shepherd defeats Grand Valley State in a 34-32 thriller to advance to the D2 championship.

NW Missouri Stave vs West Georgia just getting started in the other semifinal.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

One prediction I'd made regarding today came to pass. Naturally, Mount Union making yet another trip to Salem was the one I didn't want to be right on, but like I said, Whitewater was more beatable this year. Maybe St. Thomas can put up more of a fight next week than they did a couple years ago, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Mount Union.

Caught most of the NDSU-Northern Iowa game, and I'll be honest: most of the time you only notice a punter when he's Sir Shanks-a-lot, but NDSU's punter is better than a lot of FBS guys. And that Fargodome's no joke as far as home advantage.

2016cubscreamsig.png

FCS semifinals

• Richmond at North Dakota State
  • Sam Houston State at Jacksonville State

Those are some GOOD FCS semifinal games. I know it's more entertaining watching if the defending champion can get back to the championship. Personally, I'm rooting for NDSU vs. Jacksonville final. Then the Gamecocks to win it all. But it is kinda neat to have such a dominant team from the heartland after the SoCon was very tough for a while.

Quite a weekend ahead of us. Division 3 Stagg Bowl and ND State/Richmond FCS semifinal tonight. Celebration Bowl, Division II Championship and Jacksonville State/Sam Houston FCS semifinal tomorrow.

Mount Union does it again, winning their 12th national championship in Division III.

Is Mount Union pretty much stuck in Division III? Sometimes I wish individual teams within a school's athletic department would be able to move up in division. I'm sure on their own the Mount Union football program has enough support to handle moving up to Division 2. However, the rest of the school's programs may not be able to handle it.

Mount Union does it again, winning their 12th national championship in Division III.

Is Mount Union pretty much stuck in Division III? Sometimes I wish individual teams within a school's athletic department would be able to move up in division. I'm sure on their own the Mount Union football program has enough support to handle moving up to Division 2. However, the rest of the school's programs may not be able to handle it.

Pretty much. There used to be a time where programs were able to put football in Division III and have everything else in Division 1 (The best example would be the members of the Pioneer League at the FCS level), but in 1992 the NCAA said that all programs must be at the same level.

There are a few 'grandfathered' programs at the Division III level that have D-I sports (Most known of that bunch is John Hopkins for lacrosse and the schools that play hockey) and some that do play at D-I level but don't get the benefits of being 'grandfathered' in (which is being able to give out scholarships). Now, it's general policy to basically not allow this.

I'm a big fan of HBCU football, but the Celebration Bowl should have been held at a smaller stadium IMO. Way too many empty seats in the Georgia Dome for this game. Same problem the old Heritage Bowl had. Two FCS teams aren't filling up an NFL stadium.

If I was a decision maker in the MEAC or SWAC, I'd try to get future Celebration Bowl games played at the new Orlando City Stadium. That's going to be the new home of the Orlando MLS team, and will have a 25,000 capacity. It's in the MEAC/SWAC footprint (more so MEAC, but FL borders AL), an established vacation destination and the game would be after the MLS season. Not to mention 25K seating capacity is reasonable for an FCS bowl game. If Orlando City SC were to allow it, I think it would be a good situation for all parties involved.

I'm a big fan of HBCU football, but the Celebration Bowl should have been held at a smaller stadium IMO. Way too many empty seats in the Georgia Dome for this game. Same problem the old Heritage Bowl had. Two FCS teams aren't filling up an NFL stadium.

If I was a decision maker in the MEAC or SWAC, I'd try to get future Celebration Bowl games played at the new Orlando City Stadium. That's going to be the new home of the Orlando MLS team, and will have a 25,000 capacity. It's in the MEAC/SWAC footprint (more so MEAC, but FL borders AL), an established vacation destination and the game would be after the MLS season. Not to mention 25K seating capacity is reasonable for an FCS bowl game. If Orlando City SC were to allow it, I think it would be a good situation for all parties involved.

The contract states that the game is to be played in Atlanta for six years.

Plus, them folks, especially in the SWAC are not going to drive to Orlando a week before Christmas. That's two to three additional tanks of gas, plus hotels if they don't have family in the area. This is "high season" for Orlando.

Pretty much. There used to be a time where programs were able to put football in Division III and have everything else in Division 1 (The best example would be the members of the Pioneer League at the FCS level), but in 1992 the NCAA said that all programs must be at the same level.

There are a few 'grandfathered' programs at the Division III level that have D-I sports (Most known of that bunch is John Hopkins for lacrosse and the schools that play hockey) and some that do play at D-I level but don't get the benefits of being 'grandfathered' in (which is being able to give out scholarships). Now, it's general policy to basically not allow this.

I agree and Mt. Union is currently in a conference with all Ohio faith-based schools with similar enrollment.

Plus, D2 divides up 36 football scholarships to the roster, but Mt. Union has 200 players since they don't cut players. Those kids also get lots of non-athletic based aid. So why raise funds for 36 football scholarships when the government basically gives out aid for all those who apply? Mt. Union offers 21 total sports and moving up would result in them pairing down to the D2 minimum of 6 men and 6 women with the GLIAC as the only conference for them to enter.

The Celebration Bowl was a good watch. Number 28 for A&T was insanely good out there.

Since you like these items back to previous posts...

FWIW, 35,528 was the "attendance" in Georgia Dome.

As for the D2 championship, there "attendance" was 16,181 with a smaller average tix price.

Also, the SWAC and MEAC champions were responsible for $200k in tickets.

Really? Looked to be a lot less than that in attendance watching on TV. Might have looked fuller if they limited the games seating to the lower bowl only. Over 35K isn't bad by any means, just not visually impressive inside an NFL stadium.

Really? Looked to be a lot less than that in attendance watching on TV. Might have looked fuller if they limited the games seating to the lower bowl only. Over 35K isn't bad by any means, just not visually impressive inside an NFL stadium.

The mezzanine/club level was pretty full and they were the most expensive ticket. Folks like Club Seats just to "live" like some others just for 5 hours. Club seats also have something else...better restrooms and often longer liquor availability.

One endzone was the "Family Zone" with $15 seats.

Here was the seating plan:

2015-Seating-Diagram-min-300x232_zpshlnt

In 2014, 15 FBS bowl games had lower attendance.

And your Orlando idea is still very flawed.

Archived