Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

On 8/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, Ben5 said:

I understand why you want the throwbacks. But why is EA "lazy" by not adding them? It's not like Madden is supposed to be some historical document about every uniform combination each team has won. I'm shocked they leave old designs in there to begin with.

They don't have to be a historical document...but they choose to add a handful of throwbacks for whatever reason. With EA having the exclusive license and access to all NFL marks, it just seems lazy they wouldn't add more every year until all uniforms are in. It's incredibly lazy that they don't make white versions of many of the throwbacks they do include since most are just color swaps. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:26 PM, WSU151 said:

The Madden 25 uniform collection video was uploaded. 

No new non-Nike throwbacks (for about the third year in a row, which is a disappointment). 

Mistakes made in Madden 25: 

1994 Bears 75th jerseys (at 0:35) have the front number middle/middle, but the front number should be upper right chest (Madden 23 had it pretty close to correct)

1980s Packers  pants (10:19) need the numbers-in-the-oval on both hips (and I wish they had the 80s Cowboys pants with the hip numbers)

Current Chiefs red road pants (4:26) have stripes that are all the wrong width. The white stripes should be thicker and the yellow stripe needs to be thinner (M23 had it right). Chiefs sleeve stripes are also way too thin and too low on sleeves. 

Still no throwbacks for 80s Bengals and 90s Chargers. Plenty of throwbacks need to be added from the 70s/80s/90s, plus the white versions of all throwbacks should be included. 

Wishlist to be included

Remaining 1994 throwbacks

70s Seahawks (striped sleeves, gray facemask)

60s Giants (navy NY helmets)

70s Giants 

80s Bengals

90s Chargers

late 80s/early 90s Cardinals roads (big stripes, big AZ flag)

early 90s Jets (with black accents)

The current 80s Patriots could be changed to 91-92 Patriots with red facemask since 80s Nike classics are in

93 Patriots (red Apex Numbers outlined in white)

94 Patriots (white Apex Numbers outlined in red)

96 Ravens (if they can't get the helmet logo...just the number font would be cool)

early 90s Saints

80s Colts helmet with white facemask This might be in the game as a '60s throwback (EA with the wrong decade of course)

95 Panthers (original logo) and Jaguars (block numbers)

You know, EA is missing out on a great cash cow if they really wanted to, (apart from actually making a quality game that people would actually want to spend money on) but I in no way indorse this, but microtransaction team packs, like pay 5$ and you get a historical team pack with uniforms and correct rosters and stadiums and all of that jazz.

IDK, thinking like a Rockband track pack. 

• Like 1

BtdCezY.png

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They don't have to be a historical document...but they choose to add a handful of throwbacks for whatever reason. With EA having the exclusive license and access to all NFL marks, it just seems lazy they wouldn't add more every year until all uniforms are in. It's incredibly lazy that they don't make white versions of many of the throwbacks they do include since most are just color swaps. 

yeah i never understood when madden went from sixth gen (PS2, Original XBox) to the seventh generation of consoles (PS3, XBox 360) they chose to leave a majority of throwback uniforms out. And even the throwbacks the did include, we would have to wait longer to see full home and away sets for them.

• Like 1

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

9 hours ago, FriedPickles said:

yeah i never understood when madden went from sixth gen (PS2, Original XBox) to the seventh generation of consoles (PS3, XBox 360) they chose to leave a majority of throwback uniforms out. And even the throwbacks the did include, we would have to wait longer to see full home and away sets for them.

HD game development, most likely. They would have to recreate every single texture for every jersey at a higher resolution and given the minuscule amount of time EA gives their teams it probably just wasn't a priority.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 8/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, WSU151 said:

But why, though? How many more units will they sell if the Bears have another throwback uniform in the game that they didn't have last year? I'm shocked they have any extra throwback unis in the game at all, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Ben5 said:

But why, though? How many more units will they sell if the Bears have another throwback uniform in the game that they didn't have last year? I'm shocked they have any extra throwback unis in the game at all, to be honest.

I'm shocked that they have Nike and adidas cleats in the game...nobody really buys a game based on what cleats are in the game.  Generic cleats in a video game work just as well as branded cleats. 

I would bet they'd sell a good many more if ALL the uniforms for the modern NFL were in the game.  There's a decently sized gaming community that cares about the number of uniforms and how Madden has never measured up to NFL2K5.  All-uniforms-in-game videos on Youtube have been a thing for more than a decade, with comments from people always wishing more uniforms were in the game.  

Arguing about one Bears uniform  kind of misses the point - very few would buy an additional game for one random jersey.  

EA has the capability to add everything.  They have the art team.  They have the resources.  They could test out interest in throwbacks by offering them as paid DLC, just like they did in NCAA 14. 

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm shocked that they have Nike and adidas cleats in the game...nobody really buys a game based on what cleats are in the game.  Generic cleats in a video game work just as well as branded cleats. 

I would bet they'd sell a good many more if ALL the uniforms for the modern NFL were in the game.  There's a decently sized gaming community that cares about the number of uniforms and how Madden has never measured up to NFL2K5.  All-uniforms-in-game videos on Youtube have been a thing for more than a decade, with comments from people always wishing more uniforms were in the game.  

Arguing about one Bears uniform  kind of misses the point - very few would buy an additional game for one random jersey. 

EA has the capability to add everything.  They have the art team.  They have the resources.  

You really think they would sell that many more games if they added historical uniforms that aren't already in there?  I think the people who care about that kind of thing either already buy the game or aren't going to buy the game based on that anyway.

4 hours ago, Ben5 said:

You really think they would sell that many more games if they added historical uniforms that aren't already in there?  I think the people who care about that kind of thing either already buy the game or aren't going to buy the game based on that anyway.

They wouldnt lose any sales if all of them were included, that’s for sure. It’s all upside.  edit/update: The more throwback jerseys there are, the most roster creations and interest in the game you will have. It's not just a play now  exhibition feature. "Oh I can be the 1988 Cincinnati Bengals now with full 1988 home and road sets for my customized 1988 season/Franchise/whatever? Heck yeah!" More excitement about more scenarios like this makes more people excited for the game, makes people play the game longer, which usually ensure more future sales of the game. 

To be fair though, revenue from game sales pales in comparison to microtransactions.. 

• Like 1

Honestly I care more about them trying to make a game that's playable than the uniforms. The uniforms are second to me. They don't need every uniform. They need a dynasty mode that can actually compete against its former self and competitors like 2k.

• Like 5

On 8/20/2024 at 4:08 PM, YelichGraphics said:

Honestly I care more about them trying to make a game that's playable than the uniforms. The uniforms are second to me. They don't need every uniform. They need a dynasty mode that can actually compete against its former self and competitors like 2k.

Yeah, the state of Madden gameplay is the more pressing issue, currently. Granted that this is a sports logos forum, so the uniforms are certainly important to this audience. But when a game from 19 years ago (NFL2K5) somehow looks smoother and more lifelike and offers arguably better features than the current game with all the ostensible technological and feedback-based improvements EA could have made, Madden has much larger issues to address than whether or not the 90s Chargers away uniforms are present or not.

• Like 2

NBA 2k25 uniform video was just uploaded and there were no throwback uniforms added.

Still missing from 2k

New Jersey 1999-2005 Gray Alternate

Philadelphia 1994-1997

Philadelphia 2007-09 Red Alternate

Atlanta 1992-1995

Atlanta 1994-1995 Black Alternate

Indiana 1980-1986 Home White/Home Yellow/Away Royal Blue

Cleveland 1981-1983

Cleveland 2014-2017 Dark Navy Alternate

Denver 1976-1983

Denver 1983-1985 (Dark Blue Rainbow set)

Utah/New Orleans Jazz 70's Home Yellow

Dallas 2003-2004 Silver Alternate

New Orleans Hornets 2008-2013 Yellow Alternate

Kansas City Kings 1980-1985 Away Script

1974-75 Buffalo Braves (Powder Blue)

1987-1989 Los Angeles Clippers (Away Red

Utah 1999-2004 Black Alternate

Utah 2006-2010 Carolina Blue Alternate

Dallas 2003-2004 Silver Alternate

Missing Adidas Sleeved Sets

Denver White 2015-17

Golden State Black 2015-17

Golden State Slate/Chinese New Year 2015-17

Golden State Yellow 2013-14

Phoenix Dark Gray 2014-17

Houston Red Clutch City 2015-17

Houston Gray 2015-17

New Orleans Purple Mardi Gras 2015-17

Memphis MLK Special 2016-17

Chicago Gray 2015-17

Detroit Navy 2015-17

Brooklyn Gray 2014-17

Orlando Gray 2015-17

1 hour ago, ThunderCeltic said:

NBA 2k25 uniform video was just uploaded and there were no throwback uniforms added.

Still missing from 2k

Philadelphia 1994-1997

These are in the game this year (and were in last year).