Roadrunners move to Edmonton

Dilbert

The AHLs Toronto Roadrunners have announced that they have moved to Edmonton. They will play at Rexall Place, home of the NHL Oilers, their parent club.

This is the second AHL team to play in their parent clubs city.(Philadelphia Phantoms/Flyers). The Roadrunners played one season in Toronto. The St. John's Maple Leafs (Toronto Maple Leafs) might be moving to Toronto in 2005. :flagcanada:

Signature intentionally left blank

The AHLs Toronto Roadrunners have announced that they have moved to Edmonton. They will play at Rexall Place, home of the NHL Oilers, their parent club.

This is the second AHL team to play in their parent clubs city.(Philadelphia Phantoms/Flyers). The Roadrunners played one season in Toronto. The St. John's Maple Leafs (Toronto Maple Leafs) might be moving to Toronto in 2005. :flagcanada:

Actaully the Phantoms play right across the street to the Flyers as the Flyers play in the Wachovia Center and the Phantoms dwell in the Spectrum.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

what were they, in Toronto for one year? After all the work that was done to renovate the Ricoh Center?

I don't know how this league survives with turnover like this with cities and teams. I know it's the top farm level of the NHL, but this makes it hard to be a fan and follow teams when they move around like nomads.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I am not sure this is a very wise move, I am not entirely Edmonton would be able to support both the Roadrunners and Oilers. That is if the NHL ever makes it back, which I am not overly confident it will, however if it did happen I do not think it would be a good fit.

Ah, sheet.

Now where am I gonna go with my pals for budget hockey?

Actually, I went to a Roadrunners game once, vs. the Baby Leafs.

'Runners won 7-5.

Best of luck to them in Edmonton.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

And the city of Toronto has the anvil fall on them for spending all that money on their arena.

Well the Ricoh Coliseum will be used for other events, most prominately the Royal Winter fair, the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) and concerts. In addition the Coliseum was an old building and needed renovation anyways. So I don't necessarily think all of the money put into the renovation was wasted.

I saw, I came, I left.

And the city of Toronto has the anvil fall on them for spending all that money on their arena.

*sigh*, they should have gotten Oshawa in on it. We could use a 10,000 seat arena so we can draw big concerts and events, would have worked out great! no, wait, that would be a semi-intellignet thing to do...

That does open the door for St. John's to move.

I found out today that each individual team is responsible for making travel arrangements for its opponents. So teams that only have 12 different opponents (like St John's and Lowell) are cheap and don't want to make arrangements or exchange trips with other teams.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

well we certainly welcome back to Phoenix if things don't work out in Edmonton :D . After all if they ever do move back to Phoenix. the Coyotes can work something out with Edmonton and trade AHL teams the Roadrunners for the Utah Grizzlies, it would be nice

Archived