Springfield Thunderbirds of AHL Unveil Logo

nash61

35 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yep, and hold on to this.  You have every right to be proud.  No matter what.  Even the best designs will have critics, and the Internet amplifies those voices out of all proportion.

Had the creator posted this logo himself in the concept section, I'm sure the comments would be more tactfully phrased (sometimes to a fault, IMO), but the content is no less valid. Furthermore, while @McElroy19 is rightfully proud of his achievement, the logo's "official" status is critically moot. TBH, I might want my logos posted anonymously from now on so can see how people really feel B)

@McElroy19: Something that's been confusing me is that the applications I've seen from the outside have the old Panthers' yellow, while the one you just posted has the new Panthers gold. Which one is it going to be?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

18 minutes ago, nash61 said:

@McElroy19: Something that's been confusing me is that the applications I've seen from the outside have the old Panthers' yellow, while the one you just posted has the new Panthers gold. Which one is it going to be?

I was just using that as an example of what it looked like w/o the word mark the Panthers Yellow seen on the main site is the correct color

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

Had the creator posted this logo himself in the concept section, I'm sure the comments would be more tactfully phrased (sometimes to a fault, IMO), but the content is no less valid. Furthermore, while @McElroy19 is rightfully proud of his achievement, the logo's "official" status is critically moot. TBH, I might want my logos posted anonymously from now on so can see how people really feel B)

Eh, when we put work out there we need to take the lumps as they come.

And I agree with BrandMooreArt about the quality of the logo itself.  I was just encouraging McElroy19 to enjoy this moment - a professional team using your logo is a real accomplishment and he shouldn't let any of the criticism diminish that in the slightest.

Congratulations on your achievement, Matt!

While I do feel there is a tension at play between various elements of the logo that leaves me feeling the mark could still stand a few refinements (I would have loved to have seen all of the chevrons in the background rendered in red, so as to prevent the bird's beak from being lost against the yellow chevrons), it is still an accomplished piece of craftsmanship. I'd go so far as to say that it easily ranks as a "Top 10" primary mark in the AHL. In fact, personally, I'd place it in the "Top 5".

Once again, kudos to you!        

8 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Congratulations on your achievement, Matt!

While I do feel there is a tension at play between various elements of the logo that leaves me feeling the mark could still stand a few refinements (I would have loved to have seen all of the chevrons in the background rendered in red, so as to prevent the bird's beak from being lost against the yellow chevrons), it is still an accomplished piece of craftsmanship. I'd go so far as to say that it easily ranks as a "Top 10" primary mark in the AHL. In fact, personally, I'd place it in the "Top 5".

Once again, kudos to you!        

Thanks for the kind words Brian, I'm looking at the Wings in red right now and I can tell you it blends in with the jersey background especially on the dark jersey. It's supposed to look like wings on a Pilot pin that's why it's gold, white might have worked but really yellow is the best now that I'm looking at the options.

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms

Matt, congratulations. I was really looking this over today a few things stood out  to me as "just a little bit off". I can see where you were going but it almost seems unfinished. Anyway, I never been as fortunate to have a pro team buy a logo from me - so what do I know, right? I did however, play around with your idea a little bit- I know I'll catch some heat for this, but hey, it's what we're here for. :) 

Springfield TBirds Concept.png

I like most of the idea here but with the shadow on the right side of the face the way it is here it looks funny. And they were adamant about having the beak have the blue on it as it's more true to a falcons beak. I'm not sure why but the way the bottom of the light blue part drops down it almost reminds me of a sock puppet. But I'm more than okay with people doing what they think fixes would be, I've done more than my fair share of fixes to new logos.

I like the one on the left -- the wings round out the logo. I also think the larger lightning bolt looks good. The shield reminds me of Nashville's guitar pick logo, so it would be fine if they were the Nashville Thunderbirds (or the Preds' farm team).

By the way, despite my flippant "pigeon" comparison on the previous page, please do accept my congratulations. It's great that you've had your work picked up by a pro team, and my comment was just an "internet opinion".

I do have a more thoughtful observation in response to your earlier question: Yes the logo is "angry" and it is a bird, but I think, perhaps, that comparison is based more so on the color/white underbelly combination, which is common to many of the Angry Birds characters. Anyway, just two of my unprofessional cents.

Congrats again, and thanks for coming on here, putting up with the full range of comments posted on your work, and for being willing to converse!

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

While I don't think all the elements work together, I think it's awesome that McElroy got this opportunity, and he should be proud of it. I do like the second version he posted with the lightning bolt underneath. I will agree with him in the fact that the client, or sometimes my team lead will decide to ruin a very good design, with their interpretations of what looks good.

Archived