Springfield Thunderbirds of AHL Unveil Logo

nash61

Introducing... the Springfield Thunderbirds!

ClAKkyAXIAAcI3Z.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

55 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Introducing... the Springfield Thunderbirds!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClAKkyAXIAAcI3Z.jpg

Aka the Springfield "We wanted to keep the Falcon, without having to pay to keep the name"

Seriously, though, it's a step up in branding from what the market had last season.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Matt McElroy is the designer of record, according to the mothership.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If i may weigh in. I agree that w/ the word mark there's a lot going I think the version without the word mark flows much better alas the client went in another direction in order to be instantly recognizable. I think you just need to give it time the more and more I look at it the more and more it grows on me and trust me I've been looking at it a lot.

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 3.53.56 PM.png

I'm not sure why everyone is making the easy "Angry bird" jab, isn't every logo ever angry or mean, so wouldn't all bird logo's be angry bird logos? I can take the heat, I really thought some of the jokes made are great like the the Falco Comparison had me laugh out loud and I've appreciated all the positive feedback as well obviously, but it's funny to me how some of the biggest critics, on twitter for example, do awful work and are just ramming it every chance they get, but the jokes on them because I have a logo in the AHL and they don't. 

Any who! I hope you guys give it a chance I'm super honored to have this experience and look forward to seeing what everyone has to say!

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

Between this and Pittsburgh's "Robo Pigeon", what is it with people and comparing logos that actually resemble the animal the logo is based on to pigeons?

Yes I'm aware that the team name is the Thunderbirds and that a Thunderbird isn't a real animal, but it's clearly still based on a falcon.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

congrats on the job @McElroy19 its rare a young designer lands a gig like this. as for the trolling comments, welcome to the big leagues! or, the minor leagues?. . 

its a great piece to have in your portfolio now and if the team/client is satisfied then job well done. this is a piece though i would like you to revisit a year from now and take a good hard look at. see how you feel about it then. as you progress as a designer and in your craft, you will see flaws in your older work clearly where once they where hidden. you can probably see it in work you've done a couple of years ago already. its the normal evolution. 

never stop never stopping!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

8 hours ago, McElroy19 said:

it's funny to me how some of the biggest critics, on twitter for example, do awful work and are just ramming it every chance they get, but the jokes on them because I have a logo in the AHL and they don't.

Yep, and hold on to this.  You have every right to be proud.  No matter what.  Even the best designs will have critics, and the Internet amplifies those voices out of all proportion.

Archived