Rady Johnson says Yankees or nothing

paynomind

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1848013

The Diamondbacks believed they were close enough to trading Randy Johnson to the Dodgers that they actually went to him this week and asked if he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause to be dealt to Los Angeles. But Johnson declined, according to a baseball official with knowledge of the deal.

At this point, with the trade deadline just a few days away, Arizona believes its alternatives are either to deal Johnson to the Yankees or keep him.

Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark he wouldn't comment on any particular trade and said only that he and Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr. "continue to talk, on various topics, as we have over the past couple of weeks. But at this stage, there is still nothing imminent."

The Diamondbacks and Dodgers are known to have spoken about deals involving both Johnson and outfielder Steve Finley. But it's believed the package that would have headed to the Diamondbacks from L.A. for Johnson would have included reliever Guillermo Mota and outfielder Jayson Werth, plus two Dodgers pitching prospects -- Chad Billingsley and Chuck Tiffany.

The two teams also discussed a variation of the trade which would have sent catcher Paul Lo Duca to Arizona.

However, Johnson turned the deal down and told the Diamondbacks again that the only team he wants to be traded to is the Yankees, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports. However, clubs that have spoken with Arizona's baseball people continue to report that the Diamondbacks aren't happy with what they've seen in the Yankees' farm system. So they're prepared to hang onto Johnson, no matter how unhappy he might be.

And the clock is ticking. Johnson had asked Arizona to move up the trade deadline by three days -- to Wednesday -- so he can properly prepare for his next start Friday, wherever it might be

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

What can the Yankees give up for him? I'd imagine the D-Backs would want youth and isn't the Yankees farm system pretty much empty of the kind of talent that it would take to move a Randy Johnson?

I sympathize with the guy, he pitched against my Rockies not long ago and had some 16 strikeouts, and zero earned runs over 8 or so innings and his team ended up losing the game on a blown savebecause they were stupid enough to take him out -- but seriously, he should keep his options open because I've heard the Yankees farm system is pretty much out of great talent.

IUe6Hvh.png

How's is Randy Johnson an idiot. He's a left handed pitcher who wants to pitch in Yankee Stadium (which is very favorable to southpaw pitchers) and he knows he will be playing for the World Championship in a city where once you make it there you have made it for a lifetime. (Granted he's preety much made it in the bigs and that's an understatement). The Dodgers aren't assured to be in the playoffs where the Yankees are. For him money is not the issue because he already has a contract so he would be getting payed the same no matter where he goes. He wants to play for the same team that many of the greatest players have played. Nothing can compare to playing baseball in New York and especailly in Yankee Stadium. My question is who wouldn't want to play for the Yankees.

Sure the Yankees farm system is very thin from making dumb trades like Aaron Boone last year, however with El Duque getting hurt last night I'm sure George will go crazy to get Johnson.

But what the Yankees do have that the Diamondbacks need almost as much as young talent is (a) Money, and lots of it and (B) the ability to take albatross contracts like Robbie Alomar off Arizona's hands. With their depleted farm system, their only hope is that this can supercede the mediocre prospects they would send.

And Randy Johnson is an idiot why?

Because he wants to get out of last place and into first?

Because he's tired of being 10-8 despite a 2.38 ERA?

Because he's tired of losing 2-1?

Doesn't sound very idiotic to me...

I think Randy Johnson is an idiot because there are other contending teams he can go to that would gladly take him. He has a good friend in Curt Schilling on the Red Sox and he can actually bring joy to a city rather than a repeated feeling of "oh hey, we won again". Seriously, I get a feeling that he's being selfish by denying the Arizona Diamondbacks a chance to get young talent out of the deal and if I were the Diamondbacks, I would keep Randy Johnson on my team out of spite. It's stabbing the team and fans that payed off his $16 mill. salary in the back and denying them an opportunity to be good in the near future.

However, Johnson turned the deal down and told the Diamondbacks again that the only team he wants to be traded to is the Yankees, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports. However, clubs that have spoken with Arizona's baseball people continue to report that the Diamondbacks aren't happy with what they've seen in the Yankees' farm system. So they're prepared to hang onto Johnson, no matter how unhappy he might be.

That basically says it right there. The D-Backs want prospects, not necessarily money -- and they Yankees have screwed themselves over in that regard. I just hope this leads to another downfall of the Yankees.

And based on an article I read, the possibility of a 3 way deal with the Padres and Marlins to somehow acquire more picks is highly unlikely. Considering Randy johnson picked today as his deadline to be moved so he can properly prepare for his next start -- I think a trade is highly unlikely.

IUe6Hvh.png

Why should Randy Johnson look for out anyone but himself? He's not going to pitching for Arizona so why shouls he care what they get in return. Randy wants to be traded to a team that is guaranteed to be in the post season. There is only 2 teams that are the Yankees and the Cardinals. Well, the Cardinals can't afford him so that leaves only the Yankees. The Dodgers aren't guaranteed to be in the playoffs, niether are the Red Sox (although I heard that Johnson grew tired of Shilling which was the reason why Shilling was traded and that the D-Back wouldn't trade to the Red Sox because their system is worse than the Yakees and AZ felt like they got screwed on the Schilling trade). Wanting to play on baseball's biggest stage for it's most famous team in a city where the spotlight on you can't get any bigger isn't idiotic. If I was in Randy shoes, and I wanted desperatly to play for a team guaranteed to the playoffs I wouldn't care what the Dimondbacks got in return.

The bad Yankees farm system won't be their downfall. The Yankees have the money, and the Yankees can rebuild their farm becuase they still have the best baseball people in the front office. Gene Micheals the guy who built the Yankees world championship teams through the farm while George was suspended is still their and is still involved with personal decisions. They are the best at evaluating talent so they will be able draft some amature talent. Right now they have some top prospects in A ball. The thing that depleted the major league talent were panic moves by George the last few years after losing game 7 to Arizona. Trades like the Aaron Boone deals is what cost the Yankees of major league ready prospects.

Yes -- a player doesn't have to look at for himself but if the man had any respect for the people that payed his contract, he would atleast try to show some respect towards the fans in the way of not leaving that team in complete disarray and leave them with, atleast, some hope for the future. Does a player have to? No. But in my opinion, it's an issue of respect. And in the long run, it'll make you a more respected ball player rather than throwing away loyalty for a chance to win another championship. Oh well, it'll be great when Randy Johnson goes to the Yankees, and they make it to the World Series and lose... again. Hopefully George is learning from all this that money doesn't buy championships anymore.

And yes, the Yankees do have great baseball minds in their organization -- but when things are going wrong (ie. the Yankees lose in the World Series), Steinbrenner's the one who makes all the decisions. And don't think I'm the only one predicting the eventual downfall of their organization. You can only draft so many star players at a time and some of them just don't buy the better players in the league.

Don't you remember that the Yankees rebuilt their dynasty THROUGH their farm systems? Their leader, Derek Jeter, came up through their system as did a lot of other links to those most recent World Championship teams.

IUe6Hvh.png

And yes, the Yankees do have great baseball minds in their organization -- but when things are going wrong (ie. the Yankees lose in the World Series), Steinbrenner's the one who makes all the decisions.  And don't think I'm the only one predicting the eventual downfall of their organization.  You can only draft so many star players at a time and some of them just don't buy the better players in the league.

Don't you remember that the Yankees rebuilt their dynasty THROUGH their farm systems?  Their leader, Derek Jeter, came up through their system as did a lot of other links to those most recent World Championship teams.

Didn't you read my previous post. I said the Yankees World Championship teams were built through the farms system by Gene Micheals when George was Suspended. George being suspended was the best thing to ever happen to the Yankees because if George would have stayed he certaintly would have traded Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter for some washed up player.

I have said many times that George has gone crazy after game 7 and that it would hurt the team eventually. I much perfer the role player teams of the late 90's with Tino Martinez and Paul Oniel to the star teams of today with Giambi. It's hurting them this year because they don't have the ptiching. I hated the fact that they just let Pettitte go (although he has been hurt this year, all of his injuries stem from him being hit in the elbow while at bat). This team is not built for the post-seasons like the past teams because they can't play small ball. Outside ARod and Jeter no one can steal a base (I'm not counting Lofton because he's not an everyday player).

Eric Neel with my thoughts exactly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/040729

We love his stringy hair and his weathered face. We love the slider that dives like a swallow and pops like an M-80. But most of all, we love his willingness to be the man against The Man. He takes the flight to Gotham ... hell, just the fact that he wants to take the flight to Gotham ... and he ruins all that. He throws his rep down the drain for a shot at another ring -- a ring that, even if he gets it, will look Cracker-Jacky on his finger. And why does he need it? This isn't Gary Payton and Karl Malone. This isn't Ray Bourque. This is a made guy.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

This late word just in:

Randy Johnson is still a Diamondback.

In other news, the pilgrims have landed at Plymouth Rock, the Germans have surrendered to end World War I and II, and man has successfully landed on the moon.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived