Question about Albuquerque isotopes....

Gamingboy

Many people have heard of the Albuquerque Isotopes, but for those who haven't, here's the scoop:

In the Simpsons Episode "Hungry Hungry Homer", Homer finds out that the Springfield Minor League Baseball team, the Isotopes, will be moved to Albuquerque by their owner. Homer, who is on a "Sticking-up-for-the-little-guy" streak, decides that he will go on a HUNGER STRIKE. In the end, he is able to convince everyone that the owner is trying to move the Isotopes to Albuquerque, and the owner is overthrown.

The real town of Albuquerque liked the idea, so that when they got a Baseball team, they named them the Isotopes.

---

I've never seen the episode, but I read about it on the Internet. My question is: Is the real logo modeled off the Logo in the simpsons.

For those of you wondering, the real Albuquerque logo looks like this:

AlbuquerqueIsotopes3.GIF

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I just went to my first Isotopes game last weekend, not that it's important.

I don't think it's conclusive that Albuquerque got its name solely from the Simpsons episode, though i'm sure that contributed to it.

Albuquerque -- and New Mexico in general -- is the headquarters for the U.S. government's nuclear research labs. An isotope being "one of two or more atoms having the same atomic number but different mass numbers", I'd guess it's origins in science and the scientific ties to the region had more of an influence on the name than Homer Simpson.

As for the logo, i'm pretty sure it's an original designed created for the team, not the Simpsons episode.

I am not sure but I believe that the Springflied-Albuquerque Isotopes logo was just "ISOTOPES" written with the Bohr Model (that chemistry thingy with the ringy stuff) serving as the first "O." Also there was the coyote/wolf logo that appear in the episode.

Prior to becoming the Albuquerque Isotopes, werent they the Albuquerque Dukes.

eh, not sure if i am right, but oh well

dmr

I am not sure but I believe that the Springflied-Albuquerque Isotopes logo was just "ISOTOPES" written with the Bohr Model (that chemistry thingy with the ringy stuff) serving as the first "O." Also there was the coyote/wolf logo that appear in the episode.

dmr

From what I've learned in my short time here in Albuquerque, the Dukes folded around 2000. They were beloved team here and their memoribilia can still be found in Isotopes Park, the new stadium that opened last year for the Isotopes. I think the Dukes were an AAA team for the Dodgers. The 'topes are the AAA team of the Marlins.

Here are some articles from the Albuquerque Tribune regarding the naming of the Isotopes:

Mayor scowls, but `Simpsons' writer thinks Isotopes name is a homer

Worst-kept secret revealed: It's the Isotopes

Additionally, here is an article from the Albuquerque Journal discussing the Isotopes and what happened to the Dukes:

Gone Fission: 'Isotopes' Trademark Secured

Albuquerque's PCL team was called the Dukes for 29 seasons. But that name was sold to a group in Portland, Ore., with the franchise in 2000. It would cost at least $15,000 to get the name back.

Based on what I read, I don't think the real logo was modeled off the logo in The Simpsons, but it could have been inspired by it.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Isotopes is a good and unique name that ties in to the area...and teh A logo is clever too. Their jersey script sucks, IMO. If you saw the AAA Allstar game on the Deuce you know what i mean.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Making it worse, the same script is plastered across the front of their otherwise beautiful stadium in huge letters.

It looks even better at night.

night04.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Isotopes is a good and unique name that ties in to the area...and teh A logo is clever too.  Their jersey script sucks, IMO.  If you saw the AAA Allstar game on the Deuce you know what i mean.

I watched that game and those uni's were the worst of them all. REALLY hate the uni's, but love the caps.

Plus I'm a BIG Simpsons fan. As u can all see by my avatar.

dmr

They were the Calgary Cannons...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

dmr

They were the Calgary Cannons...

as a marlin fan i must say that stampman is correct the isotopes were the calgary cannons. last year was their first year in N.M.

1997 | 2003

Archived