Las Vegas Flamingos Concept (Jersey Concepts Added)

TheHydroPole

I'm back with yet another Las Vegas NHL concept. It has been in the news recently that the ownership group is struggling to find an identity for the team and that names such as Black Knights, Knights, Nighthawks, etc have all been dropped. Reddit has been throwing around the idea of naming it the Flamingos and it seems to be pretty popular. Very unique color palette and quite original. Decided to go ahead and give it a go.

Presentation.png

JerseyMockup1.png

I like the colors, although the execution on jerseys has the potential to be garish and kitchy, for all the wrong reasons.

The logo doesn't really scream "flamingo" it looks more like you recolored a WIP for a bird of prey, or something. Flamingos evoke imagery of slim design elements, this one looks like he's on 'roids. Still, not a bad start.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I like the colors, although the execution on jerseys has the potential to be garish and kitchy, for all the wrong reasons.

The logo doesn't really scream "flamingo" it looks more like you recolored a WIP for a bird of prey, or something. Flamingos evoke imagery of slim design elements, this one looks like he's on 'roids. Still, not a bad start.

To be fair, sports logos tend to have a fierce look, no matter what the animal is. 

Any suggestions on what to change?

51 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

The neckline, for one. Flamingos have very slender necks.

Maybe I was unclear, this is more in line with my thinking, and what I meant by "slim design elements" and yours looking like it is on steroids.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Guest darkpiranha

Love the look, but agree that in order for it to be a flamingo, the neck needs to look like a flamingo.   That's one of the two main elements that are iconic about flamingos, the other being the color.  

9 hours ago, Xamboni said:

I'm back with yet another Las Vegas NHL concept. It has been in the news recently that the ownership group is struggling to find an identity for the team and that names such as Black Knights, Knights, Nighthawks, etc have all been dropped. Reddit has been throwing around the idea of naming it the Flamingos and it seems to be pretty popular. Very unique color palette and quite original. Decided to go ahead and give it a go.

Presentation.png

JerseyMockup1.png

Nice, but I can not imagine pink as a primary uniform color. Nice use of laser yellow or whatever that neon yellow is called. But honestly I can see the Southern California Suns type of pink color since it looks nice and crisp. How about fuchsia just like the old WFL Suns unis?

17 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Nice, but I can not imagine pink as a primary uniform color. Nice use of laser yellow or whatever that neon yellow is called. But honestly I can see the Southern California Suns type of pink color since it looks nice and crisp. How about fuchsia just like the old WFL Suns unis?

I think that the fact he put it on a black background would indicate black jerseys, with pink and yellow to accent, which has the potential to be the most visually exciting sweater in the NHL, if approached correctly.

I would love to see a pink/yellow/green color scheme but I would imagine (if this were real) that it would be similar to the Spurs. Have the fiesta logo but never use it. Have bland uniform colors but only use the colorful logo for promotions.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

On 8/17/2016 at 8:16 AM, Whittier S said:

The neckline, for one. Flamingos have very slender necks.

I believe you are confused as to which element in the logo is the neckline. That's probably on me as the designer. The bottom part is the neckline, not the entire bottom left side. Here is the simplest way I could show that without spending an hour just to show where the neck is. 

FlamingosNeck.png

I would say, although it ruins the fun of the flamingo idea, black or grey would have to be your primary team colors, then pink and yellow. A pink jersey looks like a breast cancer awareness promotion, not an actual uniform. 

SB%2001%2003%2004%2015_zpsuc4ldp3t.pngNBA%20All_zpsgzk5pipt.pngSC%2029%2039%2041%2070%2072%2011_zpspiuwWS%2003%2012%2015%2016%2018%2004%2007%20

Guest darkpiranha
On 8/20/2016 at 0:49 PM, Xamboni said:

I believe you are confused as to which element in the logo is the neckline. That's probably on me as the designer. The bottom part is the neckline, not the entire bottom left side. Here is the simplest way I could show that without spending an hour just to show where the neck is. 

FlamingosNeck.png

I actually like this version of the logo better than the thick-neck version.   The other one says bird-of-prey-with-long-beak, not flamingo.  It would be like showing a giraffe with only a short neck.  It would look more like a horse.  

I think a black home, with your other colors as accents, would make a better home. As for the logo, I liked the "showing where the neck is" logo better. 

The one you're currently using doesn't really look like a flamingo, it looks like you took a falcon or eagle, colored it pink, and slapped a toucan beak on it. 

• 1 month later...

Archived