Pittsburgh Penguins 50th Anniversary Mini-Series

Discrim

The Kings miniseries went so well, I'm doing it again, this time with the Penguins!  Like last time, I'm taking various styles the Pens have worn in their history, and sort of jumbling up which logos and colors are used, and also giving the Pens a suitable opponent and giving them similar treatment.  Here's the itinerary:

60s Night: vs Rangers

70s Night: vs. Barons Blue Jackets

80s Night: vs Capitals

90s Night: vs Sabres

2K Night: vs Senators

possible bonus nights: 90s Alt Night (TBD), Pittsburgh Hornets Night (likely vs. Flyers)

So without further ado, 60s Night vs. the New York Rangers

penguins50th60s.png

As is already known, what's old is new again as the Pens return to yellow gold...and here, the Pens' jersey uses the striping from the original set from 1966, only in the current colors.  Took a little liberty by using shoulder crests at all...and now to the Broadway Blueshirts, whose set is red-heavy...because I felt like giving you something to complain about :P  Seriously, though, picking a 60s opponent was tricky.  I didn't want to dip into the opposite conference if I can help it, I don't want to use a given opponent more than once, and given these are for THIS season, the opponent kinda needs to be a current NHL team, albeit the history being dipped into doesn't necessarily need to be from the NHL (I'm leaning towards Blues and Stars series after this one, and I'm likely gonna dip into the WHA and a southern minor league or two).  Far as the 60s go, the only Original 6 teams that look noticeably different from how they do now are the Leafs and Bruins, and not by a whole lot.  Hell, I'm mildly surprised I was able to squeeze anything out of the Rangers, given how rarely they've strayed from their diagonal script.

Later on, 70s Night vs. the Blue Jackets as the Barons...til then, speak on it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Apparently, releasing concepts at times when only freaks and weirdoes are up leads to them being ignored :D

In any event, this freak and weirdo welcomes you to 70s Night!  Get your disco suits and platforms ready!

penguins50th70s.png

The Penguins' striping is what was worn from their second season until the mid-70s, but using black & gold instead of double blue.  You had to know the robo penguin would make an appearance.  Took a little liberty with the numbers, which technically should be black trimmed in gold, but I felt like gold numbers on the back was worth a shot.  In the blue corner, stepping in for the Cleveland Barons, the Columbus Blue Jackets...the lighter blue from their cannon alts is the main color, and the Ohio number patches are here as well.  Ironically enough, the Barons' uniform style was a red and black version of what the Penguins switched to in the mid 70s, so all but the late 70s navy/white uniforms are accounted for.

Tomorrow: 80s Night vs. the Capitals (prediction that may very well be way off: everybody who sees it will love the Caps' set)

2016cubscreamsig.png

39 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Not to nitpick, but Malkin should have the alternate patch on his jersey. :P

Yeah, I know, it wound up slipping my mind.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A bit late, but we're at 80s Night now.

penguins50th80s.png

Yeh, those two guys everybody's sick of :P but anyways, the classic contrasting sleeves...but mainly in powder blue, vs a blend of old and new for the Caps (which may or may not have been done by someone else before, I wouldn't know).  I was considering going with the Weagle, but at the last minute decided this would be more true to what I was aiming for.

Later on: 90s Night vs. the Sabres...where we'll have Robopenguin with less robo, and the Goathead jerseys without the Goathead.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Hitting you one more time...it's 90s NIght, people!

You know vegas gold had to show up sometime.  Lesser known is that the darker powder blue of the mid 70s also had to show up at some point.  Naturally, they came here together.

penguins50th90s.png

Since I figure the weekend tends to lose things in the shuffle, after the jump, 2K Night.

2016cubscreamsig.png

2K Night rounds out the Penguins mimi-series.  If you were wondering when the scarf penguin would show up, here he is...so we have a scarf wearer vs. a cape wearer :hockeysmiley:   The original shades of double blue vs. white laurel, man.

penguins50th2k.png

I've decided...there will be a Pittsburgh Hornets night, after that, the Blues series.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived