The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

1 hour ago, jlog3000 said:

Just re-edited my previous post, to just to prove my point, if that's alright with anyone else. But then again. who cares? I'm just an average viewer of these forums, after all.

Ya don't worry about it, because it is pointless after all and it's not like this could really happen lol, I would just have fun with it if I was you and ignore the outside noise

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

Most domestic football leagues around the world simply do a double round robin and leave it at that. 
The NHL could do the same, and then add  the minimum number of extra games as dictated in their TV contracts (70, I think? Maybe that was just an NBA rule, I forget) with extra games against divisional rivals, and adjust ticket prices accordingly.

So again, for example, Toronto would play the 31 other teams once at home and once away, and then play one of their rivals an extra 8 times like they did in the 1960s, or maybe 2 of them 4x each for a minimum of 70 games. Players would be better rested, and the playoffs wouldn't end in late June.

Canadian Premier League (CPL) expansion

Atlético Ottawa (Ottawa, Ontario)

Cavalry FC (Foothills County, Alberta)

Drillers FC (Edmonton, Alberta)

Forge FC (Hamilton, Ontario)

HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax, Nova Scotia)

Manic FC (Montreal, Quebec)

Olympique Québécois (Quebec City, Quebec)

Pacific FC (Langford, British Columbia)

Saskatchewan FC (Regina, Saskatchewan)

Valour FC (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Vancouver FC (Vancouver, British Columbia)

York United FC (Toronto, Ontario)

NFL alignment if you were still able to play as historic teams in newer Maddens.

AFC East

1968 Jets

1972 Dolphins

1990 Bills

2001, 2004 or 2007 Patriots

AFC North

1964 Browns

1978 Steelers

2000 or 2012 Ravens

1988 or 2021 Bengals

AFC South

2006 Colts

1999 Jaguars

1999 Titans

2012 Texans

AFC West

1969, 2019, 2022 or 2023 Chiefs

1976, 1980 or 1983 Raiders

1963, 1981, 1994 or 2006 Chargers

1997, 1998 or 2015 Broncos

NFC East

1982, 1987 or 1991 Commanders

1971, 1977, 1992, 1993 or 1995 Cowboys

1986, 1990, 2007 or 2011 Giants

1980, 2004 or 2017 Eagles

NFC North

1985 Bears

1969 or 1998 Vikings

1966, 1967, 1996 or 2010 Packers

1991 or 2023 Lions

NFC South

1998 Falcons

2003 or 2015 Panthers

2002 or 2020 Buccaneers

2009 Saints

NFC West

1979, 1999 or 2021 Rams

1981, 1984, 1988, 1989 or 1994 49ers

2008 Cardinals

2013 Seahawks

Bill Barnwell has too much time on his hands. A 100-team NFL!

Can you imagine the realignment that would result from this?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

A modest proposal for the FIFA World Cup:

Since CONCACAF and CONMEBOL are already working together, with CONMEBOL having invited 6 CONCACAF teams to the Copa America this year:

Instead of both confederations getting 6 slots each going forward, the 35 regular CONCACAF entrants and the 10 regular CONMEBOL entrants into WC qualifying all will compete in a double-round robin for 12 World Cup spots in the expanded 48 team field.

That would be 16 games per team with 5 groups of 9

CONMEBOL could always keep what they do now, but they would be reduced to having only 1 guaranteed spot. In that case, the 35 CONCACAF entrants would compete in 5 groups of 7 (14 games apiece), and the top 2 in each group plus one wildcard would either qualify directly, or play the 2nd-place CONMEBOL team for an 11th spot (the 12th going to the top qualifying CONMEBOL team).

I know football purists would complain about this, saying that there's no way that tiny island nations like St Lucia should have more chance to qualify than traditional powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina. So put the top-ranked CONMEBOL team (which as of right now is Argentina) in a qualifying group with 8 of the CONCACAF island nations while leaving the 9 other South American sides in their own group, and the Argentines will still cruise to an easy berth. They'll just take the Virgin Islands or whomever is lucky enough to place 2nd with them.

Top 2 in each group, plus 2 wildcards, qualify for World Cup.

Groups: 

A: Canada - Panama - Costa Rica 
Jamaica - Honduras - El Salvador  
Haiti - Curacao - Trinidad

Qualifiers - Canada, Jamaica

B:  USA - Guatemala - Nicaragua  
Antigua/Barbuda - Suriname - St Kitts/Nevis
Dom. Republic - Guyana - Puerto Rico

Qualifiers - USA, Puerto Rico

😄 Mexico - St. Lucia - Cuba  
Bermuda - St. Vincent - Grenada  
Montserrat - Barbados - Dominica 

Qualifiers - Mexico, Barbados

😧 Argentina - Aruba - Caymans 
Bahamas - Belize - Turks/Caicos 
British Virgin Islands - US V.I.s - Anguilla 

Qualifiers - Argentina, Turks/Caicos

E: The rest of CONMBEBOL
Qualifiers - Brazil, Ecuador

10 spots to 1st/2nd-place group members
2 Wildcards - Trinidad, Cuba

--
UEFA, The African federation, and a merged Asian/Oceania confederation also get 12 spots, and can organize their own qualifications as they see fit, but I think a straight up double round robin is much simpler than multiple rounds, and frees up dates in the domestic calendar and for more friendlies.

UEFA:
55/12 = 6 groups. 5 groups of 9 play a double round robin of 16 games.
Last group of 10 plays 18 games.

Top 2 in each group qualify for World Cup (12)

CAF:
53/12 = 6 groups. 5 groups of 9 play a double round robin of 16 games. Last group of 8 plays 14 games, plus a home-and-away derby.

OAFC:
57/12 = 6 groups. First 3 groups have 9 teams and play 16 games. Other 3 groups have 10 teams and play a simple double round robin.

For organizational purposes, especially if a bunch of island nations are in one group, the entire qualifying round could be played at a hub to ease travel.

I've taken the complicated and months-long process that is used at present, and boiled it down to a single round that would take a month and a half to complete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Very possible by 2026, maybe they poach some western members of the AAC along with the MW

That might be a possible scenario, or even raid on the western members of the likes of the Sun Belt or C-USA

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

34 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Very possible by 2026, maybe they poach some western members of the AAC along with the MW

No thanks, keep the Pac only on the West Coast and basically rebuild with the core of the late 2000's WAC. Boise, Fresno, Hawaii, and Nevada have a lot of history and intense matchups between them from those years. Then with the rivalries of Nevada-UNLV, Fresno-SDSU, OSU-WSU, and the geographical proximity of Boise to OSU and WSU, these 8 make for a really fun conference in my opinion.  OSU and Fresno also have some bad blood dating back to 2001. 

I'd like to have Colorado State in there as well but honestly they should stay with their fellow Front Range schools and they can expand into the western AAC to rebuild the Mountain West. This also leaves the door open for Stanford and Cal to rejoin the Pac if the ACC falls apart and for the MWC to poach SMU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestCoastBias said:

No thanks, keep the Pac only on the West Coast and basically rebuild with the core of the late 2000's WAC. Boise, Fresno, Hawaii, and Nevada have a lot of history and intense matchups between them from those years. Then with the rivalries of Nevada-UNLV, Fresno-SDSU, OSU-WSU, and the geographical proximity of Boise to OSU and WSU, these 8 make for a really fun conference in my opinion.  OSU and Fresno also have some bad blood dating back to 2001. 

I'd like to have Colorado State in there as well but honestly they should stay with their fellow Front Range schools and they can expand into the western AAC to rebuild the Mountain West. This also leaves the door open for Stanford and Cal to rejoin the Pac if the ACC falls apart and for the MWC to poach SMU. 

So the Pac and MWC in this scenario would end up like this:

Pac-10

- Boise State

- Cal

- Fresno State

- Hawaii

- Nevada

- Oregon State

- San Diego State

- Stanford

- UNLV

- Washington State

MWC

- Air Force

- Colorado State

- New Mexico

- Rice

- SMU

- Tulsa

- Utah State

- UTEP

- UTSA

- Wyoming

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 3:22 PM, WestCoastBias said:

So the Pac and MWC in this scenario would end up like this:

Pac-10

- Boise State

- Cal

- Fresno State

- Hawaii

- Nevada

- Oregon State

- San Diego State

- Stanford

- UNLV

- Washington State

MWC

- Air Force

- Colorado State

- New Mexico

- Rice

- SMU

- Tulsa

- Utah State

- UTEP

- UTSA

- Wyoming

If the ACC collapsed, I'd wager Stanford, at the very least, would end up in either the Big Ten (who lack a Northern California school) or the Big 12. I could also see San Diego State in the Big 12, which would give them a north and south presence in Cali.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

New Big 12 after Clemson and Florida State tear apart the ACC. The Big 12 trades UCF, Cincinnati, and West Virginia to the ACC for Cal, Stanford, and SMU and then adds Oregon State and Washington State to get to 18 teams. The ACC replaces Clemson and FSU with Memphis and USF, possibly more depending on how many teams leave?

- Arizona

- Arizona State

- Baylor

- BYU

- Cal

- Colorado

- Houston

- Iowa State

- Kansas

- Kansas State

- Oklahoma State

- Oregon State

- SMU

- Stanford

- TCU

- Texas Tech

- Utah

- Washington State

• Like 1

@WestCoastBias To be fairly honest, that would make sense from a logical geographic standpoint. Plus, it would put both the ACC and the Big XII on the 16+ team threshold.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

2 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

@WestCoastBias To be fairly honest, that would make sense from a logical geographic standpoint. Plus, it would put both the ACC and the Big XII on the 16+ team threshold.

The only issue would really be if the ACC was still strong enough to entice the eastern Big 12 teams. The Big 12 is a much more western dominant conference than it was just last year and I can't imagine UCF and WVU are thrilled about that but they wouldn't leave for a lesser conference. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Big 24

East

- Cincinnati

- Louisville

- Memphis

- Pittsburgh

- Syracuse

- UCF

- UConn

- West Virginia

Central

- Baylor

- Houston

- Iowa State

- Kansas

- Kansas State

- Oklahoma State

- SMU

- TCU

West

- Arizona

- Arizona State

- BYU

- Cal

- Colorado

- Stanford

- Texas Tech

- Utah

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the additions of Cal, Stanford, and SMU, the ACC decides it needs expand again to 24 teams and rename itself to…

ACC (American Coastal Conference)

Atlantic

Boston College

Duke

Georgia Tech

Liberty

Miami

Pitt

UNC

NC State

Syracuse

Virginia