What is the interest for new sports?

PowderedWater

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

People who want to see something that requires actual athletic capability rather than backyard games.

Whether or not cornhole "should" be featured on ESPN isn't my decision to make. ESPN has aired programming that hasn't required what many consider "actual athletic capability" since its inception.

Point is, if there was a demand to watch team handball, I'm pretty sure ESPN (or FS1, or NBC Sports, or whatever) would air it. And I think the only demand for watching team handball is in situations like the present where there isn't anything else.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 minute ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Whether or not cornhole "should" be featured on ESPN isn't my decision to make. ESPN has aired programming that hasn't required what many consider "actual athletic capability" since its inception.

Point is, if there was a demand to watch team handball, I'm pretty sure ESPN would air it. And I think the only demand for watching team handball is in situations like the present where there isn't anything else.

ESPN also doesn't seem to know what they want at times. Granted that applies to most of the sports networks in the US. I believe that they get decent numbers for some "niche sports" but they also relegate other sports like Aussie rules football, MLL lacrosse and other sports to odd hours or ESPN+ that would be better served getting exposure on ESPN2 or ESPN Classic and ESPNU. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

People are watching marbles roll down a hill. If they do it right, handball could take off. I mean for crying out loud ESPN shows Cornhole Championships and that requires significantly less athleticism. The only time I've ever seen handball was when I traveled through Europe. The most important thing about introducing new leagues is making sure your announcers can explain the action in a way that makes sense. 

Really? Feels like I've randomly seen at least one handball match in the last couple of summer Olympics going back to the 2004 games.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

People are watching marbles roll down a hill. If they do it right, handball could take off. I mean for crying out loud ESPN shows Cornhole Championships and that requires significantly less athleticism. The only time I've ever seen handball was when I traveled through Europe. The most important thing about introducing new leagues is making sure your announcers can explain the action in a way that makes sense. 

The Cornhole Championships ESPN runs are bought time aka an infomercial, most fringe sports on ESPN, NBCSN and FS1 are bought time. 

I think if they ran the league over the summer it would be much more plausible. From my own perspective, the only sport I watch in the summer months is Baseball, while September onwards I watch NFL, NBA, Premier League, NHL not to mention various NCAA competitions. Granted its difficult to gain a following when barely anybody recognizes your sport, but handball is exciting as hell and could be a way to pass the time for non-MLB fans if done correctly.

SIG.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived