NWSL Kits 2019

upperV03

Haven’t seen a thread created for this yet, and figured it would be good to create one rather than cluttering up the MLS kit thread or the 2019/20 Club kits thread.

Anyways, the Thorns put out a couple teasers today for their new, fully custom kits for this season:

There have been rumors going around for a while that the Thorns would be getting fully customized kits this season, but it remains to be seen exactly what that means. Hopefully there’s more to it than just the special back neck detail, and that there’s some sort of bespoke graphic pattern or detail like the 2015 home jersey:

portland-thorns-2015.jpg

portland-thorns-2015-nike-jersey-3.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

Footy Headlines has leaked images of the new Thorns jerseys:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That home is wild and not what I was expecting at all. I’m also surprised to see that both shirts are on the new template that Nike just released with the WWC kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The two jerseys are giving me whiplash: the home is way too loud and awkward and the away is pretty boring. Also, why would they ditch a red primary, along with every ounce of green?

Also, I feel like a storm-cloud pattern would be way more appropriate for the Reign... Portland really should revive the stem pattern from that 2015 jersey above.

I'm really bummed: instead of lovely blue vs red Seattle-Portland rivalry games right under the Space Needle, it'll be black vs white in Tacoma 😥

Now officially unveiled:

The home kit looks much better on a player IMO. Overall neither kit is perfect, but they’re both certainly better than the teamwear/catalog efforts that we’ve come to expect in the NWSL. Hopefully this is a sign that Nike will be more willing to churn out custom kits for the NWSL, although I’m not holding my breath on that.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

More shots:

The thorns running down the backs of the socks might just be my favorite part. Lovely little detail there. Also, it looks like there’s a new kit font this year, which is essentially just Nike’s standard kit typeface with the NWSL logo added to the numbers.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, Digby said:

That new typeface is a huge upgrade at least. Old one looked like amateur hour.

This is just the 2018 World Cup default numbers. I actually think the other numbers looked better but should have been shrunk down an inch. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

New custom home kits for Chicago and Orlando:

Nice to see more bespoke designs here. Unlike the Thorns’ new kits, neither of these are on Nike’s new template, but they’re still bespoke designs nonetheless.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Red Stars' kit is incredible in its detail. It's not a scale map, obviously, but just from the teaser image, you can see the Loop, Meigs Field - er, Northerly Island, and the diagonal arterial streets. This took work *and* it looks sharp.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived