The NHL 2004-2005 Season

Wild Winger

This is a major dissapointment. I have followed the NHL since 1997. I have never witnessed anything like this. Perhaps this will give me an opportunity to follow basketball better, unless the same happens to the NBA, heaven forbid. Oh well, good luck to the NHL in the future. Let's hope the NHL prevents future cancellations. I don't want to see the NHL kick the bucket, not after my Sharks were doing so well. First timers in the Western Conference Finals. Best job ever.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a major dissapointment. I have followed the NHL since 1997. I have never witnessed anything like this. Perhaps this will give me an opportunity to follow basketball better, unless the same happens to the NBA, heaven forbid. Oh well, good luck to the NHL in the future. Let's hope the NHL prevents future cancellations. I don't want to see the NHL kick the bucket, not after my Sharks were doing so well. First timers in the Western Conference Finals. Best job ever.

I wish you'd make like the NHL and go away........

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This is a major dissapointment. I have followed the NHL since 1997. I have never witnessed anything like this.

Obviously, you haven't been watching since 1994 then.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

All i know is this...something has got to be done. The players and Betteman arent even talking and they've been locked out now close to a month!! you know something..I cant help but tell the owners "you've made your bed, thats where you'll lye" I mean if owners are willing to spend 50million on a player than you know the players are thinkin' "why should we make less if there willing to cough up more?" But in the end..Its all greed on both sides. I wish I could ask the players "when did this stop being fun?" I mean there getting paid to play a game. A game that I'm sure all of us absolutley would give a limb for to just get 2 NHL shifts. And theyve forgotten that. Maybe I'm nuts but I wish of all wishes that we get to see just a few pro NHL games this season. I've been waitin' since Tampa rose the cup up a few months ago.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

This is a major dissapointment. I have followed the NHL since 1997. I have never witnessed anything like this. Perhaps this will give me an opportunity to follow basketball better, unless the same happens to the NBA, heaven forbid.

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, the same thing happened with the NBA in 1998.....or was that a strike. My mind's a little rusty on the details.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

This is a major dissapointment. I have followed the NHL since 1997. I have never witnessed anything like this. Perhaps this will give me an opportunity to follow basketball better, unless the same happens to the NBA, heaven forbid.

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, the same thing happened with the NBA in 1998.....or was that a strike. My mind's a little rusty on the details.

lockout.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I'm amazed that the players still have friends outside of hockey. Most of them are probably working regular jobs, making ends meet... and then Joe over there is complaining that his $1.8 million/season is deserved.

{09A79D1C-1CFA-4573-A336-E4EC42BBB1CC}.gif

© Copyright 2004 Cam Cardow All rights reserved

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm amazed that the players still have friends outside of hockey. Most of them are probably working regular jobs, making ends meet... and then Joe over there is complaining that his $1.8 million/season is deserved.

I'm amazed at the number of people who place the blame solely on the "greedy" players. Have they said they won't take a paycut? No, they offered to take one twice. What they're opposed to is the salary cap, which eliminates a free market (the basis of capitalism) and allows teams to profit even if they're poorly run. There are solutions to the NHL's problems that do not include a hard cap but the Bettman refuses to acknowledge to accept them.

And something else that people bring up all the time (but I don't think has been brought up here) that's unrealistic is the thought that ticket prices will go down if there is a cap. I can tell you now that they won't. Ticket prices are related to supply and demand, not player salaries. If people will pay $80/ticket, the owners will charge that much.

Of course, supply and demand is (in my opinion) what caused this problem in the first place. The NHL overexpanded in the 1990s and created more demand for players than it could afford. Prices went up and some teams couldn't afford to pay the players their new worth. Cut loose some teams and prices will drop again as demand drops.

• 2 weeks later...

Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur believes the NHL should declare bankruptcy and start over again. Lafleur contends that 30 teams in the league are too many. "I really believe they should cut back to 24 to make hockey better," he said. -- Canadian Press

Well, there goes the Canadian teams...

J/K

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived