Hawai'i Premier League (9/9 series complete)

BigRed618

I’ve always been a proponent for a major league something team in the Aloha State, but I also understand that logistics and travel costs make this unlikely even today. So I got to thinking, what if Hawai'i had its own league? Travel wouldn’t be an issue if everyone was in the archipelago. 

This soccer league would be eight teams strong. Pretty generous for an area of 6400 square miles and a population of around 1.4 million.

League logo

spacer.png

League map, stars indicate where the teams will go:

spacer.png

First concept will be here shortly. Aloha for now!

FC TAUA'I

spacer.png

My first HPL team is located on Kaua'i, in the town of Kapaa. On this particular island, there exists a dialect of the Hawaiian language where all the K sounds are replaced with T's, which is why the Team is called Taua'i, and the town they play in would be called Tapaa in its local dialect. 

Each of the eight major islands of Hawai'i has its own theme color, and Kaua'i's is purple. The goose seen on the crest is the Nēnē, Hawai'i's state bird.

That's about everything. I’ll do the Oahu teams next.

That league logo is quite clever. I do feel like the clash kit looks awfully washed out. I like going for the lilac color, but I'd start the gradient darker and use that darker color for the numbers etc.

rATMcmK.png

3 hours ago, Whittier S said:

That league logo is quite clever. I do feel like the clash kit looks awfully washed out. I like going for the lilac color, but I'd start the gradient darker and use that darker color for the numbers etc.

Thanks for the idea. I’ll try that when I get a chance.

PEARL OF HONOLULU

spacer.png

I came up with this team years ago, when I thought up expansion ideas for MLS. I was so proud of it, I left it mostly the same this time around, give or take a few tweaks. Same crest, same colors, even the same presenting sponsor. 

YAMATO FC

spacer.png

A substantial part of the Hawaiian population is Asian, particularly Japanese. Honolulu's second team pays tribute to this group with its identity. The colors are blue and pink, blue for being Japan's color of choice for its national teams, and pink for cherry blossoms, which serve as the centerpiece of the crest.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:12 AM, BigRed618 said:

I’ve always been a proponent for a major league something team in the Aloha State, but I also understand that logistics and travel costs make this unlikely even today. So I got to thinking, what if Hawai'i had its own league? Travel wouldn’t be an issue if everyone was in the archipelago. 

This soccer league would be eight teams strong. Pretty generous for an area of 6400 square miles and a population of around 1.4 million.

League logo

spacer.png

League map, stars indicate where the teams will go:

spacer.png

First concept will be here shortly. Aloha for now!

Looking forward to all your designs and backstories.

+1 for Hawaii having a pro sports team (one day)

HPL Logo: is there a meaning behind overall shape and the 5 dots?

kind looks like a guitar pick to me, but I dig it.

the FC TAUA'I and YAMATO FC logo are quite nice, as is the cherry blossom influence on the laters uniforms.

My favorite so far of them all is the 80s vibe North Shore SC logo and their Sunrise/Sunset kit.

Mahalo for your creative work and sharing :)

On 10/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, Whittier S said:

The league logo merges a soccer ball and a tropical flower. At least, that's what I saw.

Bingo! You got it. It’s a hibiscus made to resemble a soccer ball. The outer shape is taken from the state road signs.

Here's a double update for Maui...

KAMEHAMEHA SPORT CLUB

spacer.png

I was originally planning to put this team on Molokai Island, but then I actually read up on the place and learned that it may not have the resources to support sports, so I moved KSC to Kahului on Maui. The Kings would be the league's white team, giving an air of superiority similar to that of LA Galaxy and Real Madrid. The red and gold are taken from the Sacred Sash of Līloa that Kamehameha wore.

MAUI HO'OHUI

spacer.png

A few miles away, in Puunene, is Maui Ho'ohui, KSC's rival. I just really wanted a pineapple-themed logo, but didn’t want to completely rip off the one Mark Crosby came up with for his recent A-League project. No idea where I got the shooting stars from either, but I thought it was a nice touch, enough so that I decorated their away kit with a bunch of them. The name Ho'ohui translates to "United" in Hawaiian.

Thanks for your input. Big Island teams are next.

1 hour ago, Viperion101 said:

Really good work on these! Seems like the best way to get pro sports to Hawaii (this could be done with other sports, especially baseball), since it is logistically difficult for any of the mainland leagues to put a team in Hawaii. 

It is, and unfortunately I don’t see that changing anytime soon. It would be the equivalent to the Dutch Eredivisie deciding to put a team in Aruba. Technically Aruba is part of the Netherlands, but...

I like Pearl of Honolulu's logo a lot. Feels kinda Art Deco-y in a really nice way.

North Shore is kinda silly, but it works really well!

Yamato's away and Kamehameha's home are really nice jerseys!

The monogram for Maui is kinda hard to read though. Not feeling it.

I'm normally not a big fan of Euro-style names, but your team names (except Maui United 😐) are totally classy. Good work!

Before I show the last two teams, I thought I’d share with you my idea for HPL All-Star kits...

spacer.png

An all-star game in the HPL would work similar to MLS. One single team of the best players the Aloha State has to offer vs. a random team from MLS, just to see how the HPLers stack up against a mainland team. The main kit is patterned after the Hawaiian state flag, and the change kit is based on the Kanaka Maoli flag, which represents Native Hawaiians.

KAILUA-KONA ATHLETIC CLUB

spacer.png

Located on Hawaii Island's western shore, KKAC takes inspiration from the area's famous coffee fields. I gave them a blue away kit because I felt the league didn’t have enough blue.

HILO MAGMA FC

spacer.png

For Magma, I went with something experimental with the crest. You would recognize the volcano, but probably not the weird raindrop-like shape of the crest. It’s based on Pele's tears, pieces of solidified lava that have been launched airborne by splashing, named after the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes.

That should do it for this series. Thanks to everyone for their support. Here’s a new team map with all the crests included...

spacer.png

On 10/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, BigRed618 said:

NORTH SHORE SC

spacer.png

North Shore refers to the northern coast of Oahu Island, widely popular as a destination for surfers, so I did my best to infuse that culture into the kits and crest. The team would be located in Haleiwa.

80's vibe North Shore's my favorite.  Loved the gradient uniform.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

On 10/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, vtgco said:

I like Pearl of Honolulu's logo a lot. Feels kinda Art Deco-y in a really nice way.

North Shore is kinda silly, but it works really well!

Yamato's away and Kamehameha's home are really nice jerseys!

The monogram for Maui is kinda hard to read though. Not feeling it.

I'm normally not a big fan of Euro-style names, but your team names (except Maui United 😐) are totally classy. Good work!

Thanks for your input. I had some difficulty coming up with a better name for Maui United, until I tried simply translating "United" into Hawaiian! Would "Maui Ho'ohui" sound any better?

Archived