WHA starting to go under...

NickNickNick

WHA terminates agreement with Quebec group

Canadian Press

8/27/2004

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. (CP) - The proposed World Hockey Association, which claims it intends to begin play this autumn even though not a single player is under contract, announced Friday it has terminated its franchise operating agreement with Jean Paul Boily and the Quebec Nordiks.

``The founders have determined that Mr. Boily has been unable to secure adequate financing to the satisfaction of the World Hockey Association,'' co-founder Al Howell said in a statement Friday.

According to Howell, ``Mr. Boily has come to the league on numerous occasions requesting special fiancial concessions and we have always agreed because of our desire to have Quebec as part of the WHA. The fans of Quebec deserve WHA hockey and we will now explore all options to make this a reality.''

The decision leaves the WHA with Toronto, Hamilton, Halifax, Vancouver, Miami, Dallas and Detroit as prospective sites for teams.

The Toronto and Hamilton backers have no arenas in which to put teams. Only Detroit has named a coach, former NHL defenceman Moe Mantha.

Previous deadlines for naming general managers and coaches have come and gone without announcements.

So for those of you who thought the "Nordiks" idea was a little sacreligious, you can all sleep easy tonight.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

[Clint Eastwood] The question you gotta ask yerself is... what does this have to do with sports logos, and why didn't I put this under Sports In General?

Well, why didn't you punk? [/Clint Eastwood] :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

[Clint Eastwood] The question you gotta ask yerself is... what does this have to do with sports logos, and why didn't I put this under Sports In General?

Well, why didn't you punk? [/Clint Eastwood] :)

Well, I think you made their day---

I mean a man's got to know his limitations...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

they can go ahead and terminate the dallas franchise for having such an uninspired logo. :P

its a shame with the nords, i like the coca cola bear logo. :cry:

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

• 5 weeks later...
Although the NHL is shut down, the ill-fated WHA is making the NHL seem like a well-oiled machine. In a story that made barely a ripple in the States, the WHA announced on Friday that it will not begin play this season as planned. The eight- to 10-team league was scheduled to start in late October, but now hopes to start next fall. The 10 Spot isn't holding its breath. If a rival hockey league can't get off the ground during an NHL lockout, how will it do so once the best players skate back to work? Of course, this also raises the important philosophical question: If a league nobody had heard of folds before it even starts, did it ever really exist?

8QSKdCG.png

Archived