Another WHAT IF? The Federal League survives! CIN added

mcrosby

LOS ANGELES BROWNS

Reality: The American League St. Louis Browns spends decades in mediocrity, barely surviving in St.L alongside the Cardinals. They moved to Baltimore and became the Orioles after the 1953 season. The Browns very nearly moved to LA in 1942, however the vote to move occurred on December 8, 1941, a day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. A single day difference may have changed the course of history for the MLB had the Browns been the first Westward team. 

What if?: The Browns move to LA in 1942 and take hold of the city almost immediately, replacing the LA Angels Pacific Coast League club. The Browns became the Yankees of the West. 

I stayed classic with the uniforms, updating some of the final St.L Browns looks for the home and away. The monogram is in the same style as a classic St. Louis browns monogram. The Home Plate is the only really modern aspect of the uniform sets, using a graffiti script and sublimated graffiti. 

mbfjNxV.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I was sure you'd jump on the chance to attempt a brown and gold color scheme, ala the Padres. This looks pretty good too though. I think regular white would look better than off white but otherwise I'm a fan. The adaptation of the STL uniform looks good too! 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Silly me, when I suggested making the Guardians brown and red, I completely forgot that the L.A. BROWNS were going to be part of this project. 

You’ve hit another home run, my friend! Love the monogram LA with the orange shadow. My only suggestion is to incorporate some orange into the primary cap.

Wait, how did I miss that you posted the Whales yesterday?! Great work there. The monogram with the whale swimming through it is just wonderful, and I love the playful cartoon whale logo and the Gaslamp-influenced “SD” for the Home Plate set. 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, mcrosby said:

The name and logo will preclude Houston from using the Astros monicker. 

Spoiler

Confused Nick Young | Know Your Meme

But seriously, I think a few of these decisions are a little bit mind boggling. 

LA Stars:

I'm gonna combine some of my Stars and Browns critiques because neither truly represents a modern baseball aesthetic nor do they properly give the impression of Los Angeles. The Stars shouldn't use a retro style LA with the exact same interlocking design as the "Yankees of the West" Browns, it's a bad look and disingenuous. Speaking of being a browns rip off, the Stars shouldn't use the colored placket, as the uniform worn by the Browns at the time of the move had a colored placket (they wore it in the '44 series as well). It would once again look weak of them to copycat the Browns on 2 separate things. Their primary logo is weak and feels extremely flat with that gold circle, I'd suggest something like this:

iWAbQPM.png?1

Quick but effective fix that I think opens things up a lot more, as well as balances white a lot better. I like the use of sublimation, but it directly contrasts the old-timey colored placket with too many stripes and the tuscan monogram. I think you should go with something in a more modern style but thats just my opinion ig. Speaking of modern style, I think the city home plate uniform is pretty cool, but i'd love to see a shiny silver added into the design, because of like "silver screen" and movies or smthn idk.

Sand Diego Whales:

I mean they're good. Don't really have anything to say about them. incorporate light blue more into the home uniform because it feels out of place (even though it's the color of the away, which doesn't super count because powder clue uniforms are common for teams who don't have it in their color scheme.

Los Angeles Browns:

So to make the arguments I'm about to make, I'm going to assume Donald Lee Barnes doesn't sell the team to Richard Muckerman, who makes some uniform changes to the team in 1946. With that said, Those Browns uniforms are extremely weak. IRL, Barnes changed uniforms in '39 to include a colored and striped placket, and they weren't changed until he sold the team. I doubt that he would've changed uniforms to be plain placketed, but ya never know. I like the contiinued use of drop shadow, as the Angels wore a uniform with a drop shadow the same season. I don't think brown and orange would've stayed the color scheme until today, however. I like @_DietDrPepper_'s idea of brown and gold, but maybe add red in there maybe as a teritary color? The Fleur de Lis makes no sense in Los Angeles. The reason they used it in STL was because the city was named after French King Louis IX. I'd remove it and if you can't think of a logo, just leave the sleeve blank. The homeplate jersey is loud, but I don't think in a good way. It gives me a greater impression of a fan jersey or a style jersey than an actual uniform. If you wanna make streetwear, make streetwear. But don't pass it off as a professional baseball uniform.

I only nitpick because I like this series. Keep up the good work!

10 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

The Stars shouldn't use a retro style LA with the exact same interlocking design as the "Yankees of the West" Browns

You're right about this one. I'll be updating the Stars logo with this in mind.

which doesn't super count because powder clue uniforms are common for teams who don't have it in their color scheme

I don't think I'll have quite as many power blues throughout the league.

The Fleur de Lis makes no sense in Los Angeles. 

Neither do the Lakers. I kept it as a holdover symbol of their time in St. Louis.

But don't pass it off as a professional baseball uniform.

If the MLB can get away with Turn Ahead The Clock uniforms I feel comfortable with just about anything for the Home Plate unis.

DALLAS ATHLETICS

Reality: The A's called Philadelphia home for more than 50 years, winning five World Series titles. In 1955 the A's moved to Kansas City, serving as barely more than the Yankees minor league affiliate and a real estate venture. Their move to Oakland in 1968 was followed only a few years later by a threepeat of World Series titles.  

What if?: The Philadelphia A's stay in Philly through 1967, struggling as a second team, and second rate team, in their city. The business ventures of Arnold Johnson take him to Dallas. 

y68Ifxp.png

I must say, I'm grading it an A! ;) 

The Texas ear on both logos, the vintage-style "DA," and the updates on the Circus Elephant/insignia are all fantastic. I love how you managed to produce an Old English "D" that didn't infringe on the Tigers in any way. Excellent work! The new number font also looks excellent.

The Los Angeles Browns also look fantastic, carrying over what worked in St. Louis into the new location. The graffiti uniform is a fantastic touch, using the extant colors well.

Also, the Fleur-de-Lis isn't as out-of-place as you may think. The Pueblo of Los Angeles, founded by Spanish colonists in 1781, started up during the time of the House of Borbón-Anjou. This was an offshoot of the French House of Bourbon. Now, what is a key part of all heraldry in the House of Bourbon?

780px-Arms_of_Anjou-_Coat_of_Arms_of_Spain_Template.svg.png

Crest of the House of Borbón-Anjou

Therefore, the fleur-de-lis of the Los Angeles Browns represents their connection to the then(and still)-current royal family of Spain. It's obscure, but it works!

6 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

Dallas?! I thought Oakland would be the location, never Dallas! Nice design never the less.

Dallas got the A's since Oakland got the Giants instead of LA. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the Kansas City Packers.

I have no idea what to do with the KC Packers. I'm open to ideas. 

53 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Texas ear on both logos, the vintage-style "DA," and the updates on the Circus Elephant/insignia are all fantastic. I love how you managed to produce an Old English "D" that didn't infringe on the Tigers in any way. Excellent work! The new number font also looks excellent.

Therefore, the fleur-de-lis of the Los Angeles Browns represents their connection to the then(and still)-current royal family of Spain. It's obscure, but it works!

Yeah that's totally what I was going for with the fleur-de-lis...totally. As for the DA monogram, I really wanted to get that old, cut out by hand feel with the D that the A had. 

45 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Perhaps a double blue color scheme, with royal and powder blue. And that wonderful interlocking “KC” logo is a must.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Crest of the House of Borbón-Anjou

did not know that! Here I am ripping people for lack of historical accuracy AND YET... I'm the clown here. If that's the case, I'd love to see something maybe involving the three fleur de lis inside the shield which is used on the LA City Seal, along with the other things i had to say :P

Anyways, I'd love to see the Athletics in R/W/Navy and without the "'s" in their monogram, but everything staying the same, because Johnson didn't mess with the design of the team. It wasn't until Charlie Finley bought the team in '63 that they switched to kelly green and athletic gold. Also, it's Texas.

14 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Hmmmmm.

Powder Blue    Red                Royal
uaSBd8js.pngtdUtJB4s.jpgruItQ8Ws.jpg

Home Jersey Ligature (minus 'Feds')
q9Y7OROm.png

Away Jersey Wordmark
VqN00XTm.png

I could see the home uniforms being white with powder blue pinstripes and the 'KC' ligature on the left chest in red and royal (one letter in each color). The away uniforms would be powder blue with royal pinstripes and 'KANSAS CITY' across the chest in red. Caps would have a powder blue crown, red visor and red top button/squatchee, with the two-color/red-royal 'KC' ligature centered on the front.

Archived