Another WHAT IF? The Federal League survives! CIN added

mcrosby

7 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I forgot I've got a Cleveland rebrand nearly finished! I think that will be next. I'm not sure exactly where to take the Whales, but I'll prioritize that. 

I think a good color scheme for the Whales would be navy and yellow, a la the 2016 Padres.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLEVELAND GUARDIANS

Reality: The Cleveland Indians, for over 100 years, have called Cleveland home, forming when the AL proclaimed themselves a competing major league. Their predecessors, the Blues and Naps, lending history and color to the club. The team still struggles to distance itself from their famous, and infamous Chief Wahoo logo. 

What if?: Art Deco sweeps The Land in the 1920s, the Hope Memorial Bridge and its Guardians of Traffic is completed in 1932. The Naps take this chance to rename their club, a decade and a half after Napoleon 'Nap' Lajoie took his talents to S̶o̶u̶t̶h̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ Philly.  A newspaper contest results in the Guardians. 

Changing Indians to Guardians seems like an easy win for everyone. The Guardians of Traffic are criminally underrated art deco statues from a time when Cleveland was the fifth largest city in the US. The Home and Away are pretty straight forward, the Tradition uses elements of the Naps and early Indians and a new Ohio logo. The Home Plate uses Cleveland's nickname, an art deco font, and has six-string sleeve piping. 

bjg1b9T.png

27 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

bjg1b9T.png

I loved your Guardians of Traffic-inspired identity for the Cleveland-based team in your "MLS by mcrosby" series. I didn't know whether you'd be interested in revisiting it so soon, which is why I'd suggested Spiders for a Cleveland AL rebrand in this thread. That said, I'm glad you opted to bring these art deco masterpieces to light again. I honestly think the Indians would be well-served by actually making said statues the centerpiece of a rebrand.     

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think a good color scheme for the Whales would be navy and yellow, a la the 2016 Padres.

As far as potential color schemes are concerned, I'd go...

Dallas Athletics / Spurs / Steers / Wranglers (AL)
Deep Green    Gold               Sand
GrZ7jrAs.pngQIg843Ls.pngK8OtERws.jpg

Los Angeles Angels (AL)
Powder Blue   Red
uaSBd8js.pngtdUtJB4s.jpg

Los Angeles Stars (FL)
Black              Gold
TSaoklYs.jpgQIg843Ls.png

Miami Flamingos (NL)                     Miami Marlins (NL)
Pink                Black                        Marlin Blue     Black              Silver
mSPiCX7s.jpgTSaoklYs.jpg   or   PVWiouws.pngTSaoklYs.jpgBppFOX6s.png

Milwaukee Brewers (NL)

Navy               Bavarian         Pilsner                      Navy               Pilsner             Cream
j9VEyLbs.png3ZkhN6Is.pngc7zxGtJs.jpg   or   j9VEyLbs.pngc7zxGtJs.jpglPshkESs.jpg

Minnesota Loons

Green              Deep Red        Black              Gray

qKCMMRgs.jpgmH7J9Sfs.jpgTSaoklYs.jpgNF5qXnLs.jpg

Phoenix Firebirds (AL)
Chili                Red                 Tangerine       Yellow
9I3cFExs.pngtdUtJB4s.jpgxccAubts.pngCjF4TvLs.png

San Diego Whales (FL)
Navy               Sky Blue         Orange
j9VEyLbs.pngJNNDMdcs.pngyXPAiGPs.png

Seattle Rainiers (AL)
Navy                Green             Silver
j9VEyLbs.pngqKCMMRgs.jpgBppFOX6s.png

okay I love the Dodgers but I have one question for the giants. If you have the redwood “O” mark, could you promote that over the standard “O” mark and then have the alternate hat be the same idea but with the Oakland tree? 

Solid work on Cleveland, but a few notes because I guess I’m just that guy for this thread:

1. How do you think the stadium situation would work out? I mean I love the Art Deco aesthetic but that would be something you *really* have to commit to to do right. I don’t think they’d stay in league park if that’s the case, but what would Municipal look like at that point? Also, what do you think Jacobs and the 94 rebrand would’ve looked like, as the neoclassical trend was in full swing (but that aesthetic heavily clashes with the Guardians name and the statues’ style)Idk just curious

2. I don’t really get Art Deco out of the look. I assume you took the ‘94 rebrand as the starting point, which is fair, but I’d say that since the scripts and uniforms were drawn up in the 90’s, maybe try to get a little more thematic with it?

3. I don’t like the C around the guardian face. Love the face tho. The outside just feels out of place, and I feel like maybe the face could stand on its own? Just throwin out ideas. 

4. “The Land” is tacky, baseball uniform our not. I think a similarly styled uniform with just “Cleveland” written on the front would be cool, but you do you fam

excited for what’s to come!

Really like the Guardians’ scripts and logos but black doesn’t seem to fit them. Since San Diego no longer becomes the Padres in this universe and I assume they’ll be adopting a completely different color scheme, might I persuade you to swap out black for brown?

14 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Really like the Guardians’ scripts and logos but black doesn’t seem to fit them. Since San Diego no longer becomes the Padres in this universe and I assume they’ll be adopting a completely different color scheme, might I persuade you to swap out black for brown?

It's navy not black, the same colors as the Indians, but I agree, a brown and red color scheme would look good. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

21 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

It's navy not black, the same colors as the Indians, but I agree, a brown and red color scheme would look good. 

Whoops, it looked black on my phone. But yes, I still think brown and red would work well.

LOS ANGELES STARS

Reality: The Angels begin play in LA in 1961 as an expansion club. Their name is derived from the city they play in and the Pacific Coast League club that they replace. They play as the California Angels, Anaheim Angels, Anaheim Angels of California, and Los Angeles Angels. 

What if?: The Stars make their way to LA after the Federal League Newark Peppers move back to Indianapolis and name themselves the stars, based on the flag of Indianapolis. The club exists in Indy for nearly 40 years before succumbing to Westward expansion. Fittingly, the Stars take the name of the Pacific Coast League Hollywood Stars, and eventually make the change to LA Stars after a few decades of trying to decide if they represent Hollywood, California, or LA. 

I enjoyed updating the PCL look for the modern MLB with elements of the Angels. The name and logo will preclude Houston from using the Astros monicker. 

96eqzve.png

Dude, the red/metallic gold is a fantastic look! You've done a good job blending the AL Angels with the PCL Stars. The contrast placket and sleeves are a wonderful touch. The throwback and Home Plate sets are also cool, with the Hollywood black jersey being especially classy here.

With the Cleveland Guardians, I'd back up the lines about making the Art Deco font the standard for the home and road set. The bulbous scripts don't really "jive" with the Art Deco motif, so to say. I do like the guardian in the logo (and the inline on the C), but it needs a tiny bit more cohesion. 

1 hour ago, mcrosby said:

I nearly made it cream, but I think I prefer the subtlety of the red on blue. 

I’m glad you didn’t. The red pairs with the bill, and matches the star on the back of the jersey. That entire set is so well balanced.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I know the filled in placket on the home has historical importance, but I'm honestly not a fan, but then again I think I just dislike filled-in plackets as a whole. That being said, I love the away and home plate sets the most. As others have said, the red and metallic gold combination is a great look as well.

SAN DIEGO WHALES

Reality: The Chicago Whales fold with the Federal League in 1915, despite being the original tenants of what is now known as Wrigley Field. The San Diego Padres are a 1969 expansion club, adopting the name of the Pacific Coast League Padres.

What if?: The Chicago Whales join the Giants and Dodgers in the 1957 move West, leaving Chicago to the White Sox and the Cubs. There are more Whales in the Pacific than in Lake Michigan anyways. 

The home and away aren't too far off from the current set. I originally used blue, light blue, and yellow but they ended up looking far too much like the Brewers. The all tangerine tradition uniform harkens back to the experiments of the late 70s and early 80s. The wavy, horizontal pinstripes of the Home Plate compliment the Gaslamp monogram. 

hr0O696.png

Archived