NFL | The Washington Redskins become the Warriors | UPDATE

Go Red Sox!

9 hours ago, jwinters said:

Generally speaking I like it when teams from a city share a colour scheme, but I also don't want to see every city in R/W/B. The NFL already has the Pats, Bills, Giants, Texans, and Titans using those colours.

Also, I didn't say it before, but I really like all of the logos you've got here! The modernizations of the spear and the feathers are really solid, the 'W' motif is cool, especially for a team with the initials "WW", and as others have said, the DC football is a really nice touch. I always like logos with flags.

Thanks a lot, jwinters. Much appreciated.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, Go Red Sox! said:

Thanks a lot.

I know for sure that I have already seen a "W" with the Washington Monument as the middle part, but I just can't recall where I've stumbled upon it. It is (rather "was") a professional or semi-professional inactive sports logo, or, and this is more likely, that very gimmick was already used by some designer here or on Behance, Dribbble, etc. Anyway, I didn't want to adopt it,  so I chose a different, more complex shape for the "W" that you usually can find in older serif typefaces that radiates grace, dignity, or wisdom. So I came up with this "W".

Was this it?

0923-wsh15wc-caps.jpg

That's the Washington Capitals Winter Classic uniforms from a few years ago. Notice the "A" patch, as well.

(Courtesy of @MEANS, creator of what you see above.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 hours ago, Buc said:

Was this it?

0923-wsh15wc-caps.jpg

That's the Washington Capitals Winter Classic uniforms from a few years ago. Notice the "A" patch, as well.

(Courtesy of @MEANS, creator of what you see above.)

Possible, Buc. That's the one that I've found a couple of days ago when looking for that specific one which I still haven't found yet. I remember that the "W" was more modern, not that simplistic, also white with a navy outline (I'm not confusing it with this "A" here).

Anyway, this logo is at least one reason why I didn't want to adopt the Washington Monument for my "W".

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

These are all quite good. A very nice take on a rebrand. I think out of all the logos, the only one that I feel could be pushed a bit is the DC football. The version over maroon feels a little unresolved with the yellow and white butted right up against the background maroon. It might just be the stars that throw things off a bit for me as they get a little close to the top edge. It may just need an extra outline around it all or something. 

Overall very nice work!

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, OmegaRed said:

These are all quite good. A very nice take on a rebrand. I think out of all the logos, the only one that I feel could be pushed a bit is the DC football. The version over maroon feels a little unresolved with the yellow and white butted right up against the background maroon. It might just be the stars that throw things off a bit for me as they get a little close to the top edge. It may just need an extra outline around it all or something. 

Overall very nice work!

Thanks, OmegaRed! Much appreciated.

An extra outline doesn't look good at all. I've already tried it – it looks messy. The reason why these three DC stars are placed the way they're placed, is because they also represent the laces of a football – basically a side view of a football. An outline would always come into conflict with the stars, or vice versa. And making the stars smaller and less prominent, works even less.

The version over maroon feels a little unresolved with the yellow and white butted right up against the background maroon. It might just be the stars that throw things off a bit for me as they get a little close to the top edge.

The stars pushing to the edge is throwing me off a bit as well. The logo is great but I think you'd need a thick white outline over everything when it's on maroon, to replicate how it looks on a white background, where it probably looks even better.

What if you tried giving the yellow stroke the same bevel treatment as the W, with little white notches? That could make it look just slightly more cohesive with the set.

I love this concept though, that feather is so great. Would love to see that arrow on a helmet too!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

16 hours ago, chestnutz said:

The stars pushing to the edge is throwing me off a bit as well. The logo is great but I think you'd need a thick white outline over everything when it's on maroon, to replicate how it looks on a white background, where it probably looks even better.

What if you tried giving the yellow stroke the same bevel treatment as the W, with little white notches? That could make it look just slightly more cohesive with the set.

I love this concept though, that feather is so great. Would love to see that arrow on a helmet too!

Thanks, chestnutz! Much appreciated.

I have revised the DC football logo – and I think it's pretty good the way it is now. We now have a consistent yellow-gold outline, plus the stars are still recognizable being football laces.

Images have been updated.

10 hours ago, miltonANDlumbergh said:

Totally knocked this outta the park. Love everything about it. 

Thanks a lot, miltonANDlumbergh! Happy to read that...

16 minutes ago, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

I like them, however I think putting the spear logo inside the of the roundel instead of the "W" would be a better primary logo.

Thanks, KevinJohnsonTheTruth.

A roundel should have a certain size compared to the spear, so it should be big enough to visually complement or support it. But then you would have too much unused, negative (burgundy) space inside that roundel; especially for a primary mark.

4 hours ago, Black Dragon said:

Uniforms next?

Need a nice PSD template first. But I fail to see why I should spend money on that.

8 hours ago, scraw28 said:

Hopefully they are traditional 

They absolutely would be traditional! Washington with uniforms like these poorly executed things the Bucs had in 2014, or the Browns, Titans? No way!

Personally I'm split between Sentinels or Redtails. I understand how the name Hogs is popular because the offensive line nickname back in the 80s, but not really feeling that name or the Pigskins as well. Maybe Warthogs, but they had an arena football team awhile back that didn't fair so well, so I don't know how that would go.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:25 AM, Go Red Sox! said:

I have revised the DC football logo – and I think it's pretty good the way it is now. We now have a consistent yellow-gold outline, plus the stars are still recognizable being football laces.

There ya go!! Now it feels part of everything else. Nice update! 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, OmegaRed said:

There ya go!! Now it feels part of everything else. Nice update! 

Thanks, OmegaRed.

Yeah, I totally agree. Before that update, I focused too heavily on the laces, I guess. But it works nonetheless.

As a Redskin fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that you kept 'our' colors and an overall link to the past identity. That is really important to me and I'm sure to many other DC fans as well. I would love to see them keep the framework of our fight song too. Hail to the ___________________s! 

Archived