2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

What Harden trade idea would allow them to keep both Tatum and Brown? I’m not aware of one, so by the time you’re done you just have Harden with probably no better a roster than the playoff-flameout Rockets have had. Never mind the last time they traded for a talented-but-mercurial star level guy.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I've been saying that for a while now. You need a top 5 guy or the 2004 Detroit Pistons to win a title. That's not the current Celtics.

Golden State is trash and I'm unimpressed that a Steph-led team has started the season getting blown out. Granted it's been by the East's two best teams, but I want more from my first-ever unanimous MVP.

I'm really impressed by these Nets. I have a feeling about them this season, and I could totally see them as Finals champions.

Problem is Ainge has been too stingy to make a big trade, and for whatever reason no big player (Durant, Davis, etc.) wanted to player for the team that made the ECF 3/4 years. 

45 minutes ago, Digby said:

What Harden trade idea would allow them to keep both Tatum and Brown? I’m not aware of one, so by the time you’re done you just have Harden with probably no better a roster than the playoff-flameout Rockets have had. Never mind the last time they traded for a talented-but-mercurial star level guy.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a package of Kemba, Smart & whatever 1st round picks they still have (if any). 

Because yeah, the trade is pointless if Celtics have to give up Brown or Tatum. 

I just don't get why the Celtics have struck out with so many free agents. If they want to win, you'd think they would considering the team that has made the ECF 3/4 years. 

8 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Only thing I can think of is maybe a package of Kemba, Smart & whatever 1st round picks they still have (if any). 

Because yeah, the trade is pointless if Celtics have to give up Brown or Tatum. 

I just don't get why the Celtics have struck out with so many free agents. If they want to win, you'd think they would considering the team that has made the ECF 3/4 years. 

Because of Boston’s history of using players like expendables.

9 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because of Boston’s history of using players like expendables.

And the fan base's general comfort with guys like Gordon Hayward and not guys like Kemba Walker. Or Antoine Walker. Or Bill Russell. You know.

There's a reason AD said he wouldn't sign there and it wasn't just the basketball team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And the fan base's general comfort with guys like Gordon Hayward and not guys like Kemba Walker. Or Antoine Walker. Or Bill Russell. You know.

There's a reason AD said he wouldn't sign there and it wasn't just the basketball team.

Fans seem fine with Tatum, Smart, Brown, Pierce & Garnett. 

I won’t deny there’s that problem, but it’s the same for almost any fanbase. 
AD just didn’t want to play against Lebron, or rather, he only wanted to play with Lebron. 

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Historically yes but if you actually paid attention to Celtics culture, I don’t think you can realistically say that now; Kemba and the Jays are very popular, Hayward got dragged by just about everyone for the past two years. 

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

Historically yes but if you actually paid attention to Celtics culture, I don’t think you can realistically say that now; Kemba and the Jays are very popular, Hayward got dragged by just about everyone for the past two years. 

Let's see what happens if any of them have the temerity to leave.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/04/ray-allen-on-boston-celtics-hornets-nest-death-threats-kevin-garnett-digging-into-hating-him.html#:~:text=On July 11%2C 2012%2C Ray Allen signed with,rather than stay in Boston and challenge them.

“I left because there were so many unresolved issues that the team wasn’t considering or willing to change,” Allen said. “As a free agent, you want to know the team is going to do the things you know they need to do. So what is it now? It’s 2020, so you’re talking about nine years, now. I’ve gotten so much hate, death threats, vitriol from Boston fans..."

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Didn’t see Ray Allen mentioned your original post. Care to Google anything about the fanbase being uncomfortable with Kemba Walker?

Celtics fans hated Ray Allen because they felt stabbed in the back when he chose to defect to Miami and form a big 3 with Lebron, made even worse when Miami beat them in the ECF. 
Which almost proves Celtics would have made The Finals if he stayed. 
IIRC Celtics also made a better offer than Miami. But Allen was feuding with Rivers & Rondo, which is why he left. 

I think the Celtics offered more money but Miami offered more years. And anyway, do you sign for shorter with a declining roster where you've been up in trade rumors for the previous year, or do you sign for longer in the nice-weather place and get to play a less demanding role with peak LeBron? I don't think that or most other signings need to mean grand statements.

Anyway, Boston has signed Horford, Hayward and Kemba in the past 4 years, and at least swung a meeting with KD. They didn't get Davis but he always telegraphed his intentions to play with LeBron and his dad was very vocally clear about disapproving of the IT situation. That's reasonable enough, no team is going to get every great player that they ever try to sign, and that's still a better run of free agency than most teams have had in that time period. Still no new banner but they've played pretty well in those years. C'est la vie.

I get why Allen left, but the fact that decision likely cost them a Finals appearance really :censored:ing stings. 
AD was basically tampering his way to LA.

The IT situation is a stupid thing to hold against them. As unfortunate as it was, you’ll be hard pressed to find a team that wouldn’t have done the same. 

As for guys Celtics did get, they’ve just had the worst luck with them. Hayward broke his damn leg in his very first game with them, Kyrie needed knee surgery right as the playoffs started, and Kemba also needed his knee fixed. 
Luck of the Irish my ass. 

At least the Celtics have drafted well. 

On 12/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, AustinFromBoston said:

Celtics fans hated Ray Allen because they felt stabbed in the back when he chose to defect to Miami and form a big 3 with Lebron, made even worse when Miami beat them in the ECF. 
Which almost proves Celtics would have made The Finals if he stayed.
IIRC Celtics also made a better offer than Miami. But Allen was feuding with Rivers & Rondo, which is why he left. 

Explain...

Holy :censored: -- Mavs up nearly 50 over the Clippers in the first half.

EDIT: and they end the half up 77-27. Clippers are shooting 1-19 from three. Wow.

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

.....Because they lost to the team he joined. 
He stays in Boston, does Miami even make the ECF? 

Um yes, he was a bench player. It’s not like he was a star for them. Outside of a few clutch shots the heat didn’t need him to make 4 straight finals.

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

Um yes, he was a bench player. It’s not like he was a star for them. Outside of a few clutch shots the heat didn’t need him to make 4 straight finals.

Considering how close the series was, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he was atleast a small factor in how the series turned out. 

I'm not talking about the 4 straight Finals, just the 2012 ECF. Since that was the last chance for the Celtics Big 3.If Allen stayed maybe they beat Lebron that series. IDK if the would beat OKC in the finals though. 

46 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Considering how close the series was, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he was atleast a small factor in how the series turned out. 

I'm not talking about the 4 straight Finals, just the 2012 ECF. Since that was the last chance for the Celtics Big 3.If Allen stayed maybe they beat Lebron that series. IDK if the would beat OKC in the finals though. 

Ray Allen played for the Celtics in 2012...

Archived