2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Adam Silver acknowledges possibility of NBA expansion (espn.com)

They might have to announce expansion soon if they want to recoup $1 billion lost from the Pandemic and I doubt that any new TV deal that they may have incoming recoups that.  Their CBA expires after the end of the 2023-2024 season. 

Not surprised, I expect most of the non-NFL leagues to be looking into expansion in the near future.

24 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Not surprised, I expect most of the non-NFL leagues to be looking into expansion in the near future.

Yep.  Seattle seems to be a lock (with Bonderman and/or Leiweke from the Kraken involved in ownership, but also probably includes Russell Wilson) and probably Las Vegas (ugh) although I prefer Kansas City (who's ownership group would probably feature Patrick Mahomes) or Vancouver to go along with Seattle.

I don't know how the NHL will be able to recoup their losses from the Pandemic.  They will have 32 teams when Seattle comes in.  For MLB, it's likely to be expansion, but not until the stadium situations in Oakland and Tampa are resolved, which at this point won't be for 50 years.  MLB will be the last to expand.  MLS may have to get to 32 once all of their upcoming expansion teams are up and running.

I understand why expansion is suddenly an appealing cash grab for a league suffering from huge losses, but it's still a colossally terrible idea from a competition standpoint. 

The league already has far more roster spots than it has talent, and it has the worst competitive imbalance of any professional league. Expansion would just add two more teams to the list of irrelevant franchises that are out of contention before they even lace up their sneakers. 

That said, I'd love to see the Sonics back in the league. But I'd rather not see them as part of a 32-team league.

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Adam Silver acknowledges possibility of NBA expansion (espn.com)

They might have to announce expansion soon if they want to recoup $1 billion lost from the Pandemic and I doubt that any new TV deal that they may have incoming recoups that.  Their CBA expires after the end of the 2023-2024 season. 

As long as the Timberwolves are in Minnesota, expansion just doesn’t seem to make sense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

40 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

What are the odds of Canada getting another team if they expand?

Vancouver has to be the obvious first choice, right?  

Seattle and Vancouver would make sense. Give Portland a couple of close rivals to finally stop their travel hell, plus you could finally get Minnesota out of the West and bring New Orleans with them.

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Lakers start the 2020 season the way they did 2019 -- looking like chumps against the Clippers.

Better to be playing like chumps at the start of the season than during the playoffs.

I saw, I came, I left.

James Harden, channeling his inner 2000s hipster white kid picking an English major college, is now fine with Boston and Portland.

anyone told him how many strip clubs in PDX? Seems like a no-brainer.

https://theathletic.com/2284237/2020/12/24/james-harden-trade-rumors-news-celtics-blazers-added-to-preferred-trade-destinations/

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 hours ago, Digby said:

James Harden, channeling his inner 2000s hipster white kid picking an English major college, is now fine with Boston and Portland.

anyone told him how many strip clubs in PDX? Seems like a no-brainer.

https://theathletic.com/2284237/2020/12/24/james-harden-trade-rumors-news-celtics-blazers-added-to-preferred-trade-destinations/

I doubt Boston is going to make a move for him, considering how stingy Ainge is. 

But a big 3 of Harden, Tatum & Brown would give even the Lakers a run for their money. 

It's frustrating because I feel like this is the exact kind of move the Celtics need to make to get another championship, much like how the Raptors got Kawhi to finally get them over the hump. 

16 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I doubt Boston is going to make a move for him, considering how stingy Ainge is. 

But a big 3 of Harden, Tatum & Brown would give even the Lakers a run for their money. 

It's frustrating because I feel like this is the exact kind of move the Celtics need to make to get another championship, much like how the Raptors got Kawhi to finally get them over the hump. 

I've been saying that for a while now. You need a top 5 guy or the 2004 Detroit Pistons to win a title. That's not the current Celtics.

Golden State is trash and I'm unimpressed that a Steph-led team has started the season getting blown out. Granted it's been by the East's two best teams, but I want more from my first-ever unanimous MVP.

I'm really impressed by these Nets. I have a feeling about them this season, and I could totally see them as Finals champions.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived