a series of hockey jerseys (calgary flames 12/13)

DTConcepts

howdy y'all. the other day, i got hit with a wave of creativity that inspired me to crank out a number of hockey jersey concepts. they're not really part of any series, nor are they inspired by anything in particular, but i figured i'd share 'em here anyways.

to kick off this little non-series, here's a jersey i made for the pittsburgh penguins. according to nhluniforms.com, the team is supposed to be coming out with an alternate jersey before too long, and as a result, i decided to take a swing at it.

XhRoX8K.png

the jersey's an mix of a number of eras in penguins hockey. the jersey itself is modeled after the team's home jerseys from 1977-1980, with some added yellow stripes to reference the team's first black and gold jerseys that were unveiled in the middle of the 1980 season. the shoulder patches mix the team's 1968 roundel logo with the robo-penguin era, tying every era of penguins hockey together.

i'll have a bunch more jerseys to upload later, but here's where i'm starting. what are your thoughts?

Wow!! Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys. Really, really good stuff to build off of.

Jokes aside, I'm gonna keep posting my concepts anyways. Here's an alternate I made for the Red Wings inspired by the old Detroit Cougars' jerseys.

hIDd6bd.png

• DTConcepts changed the title to dt concept's hockey jerseys (red wings 11/18)

I'm liking the design of both jerseys, but why are they grey? You don't seem to explain that in either post from what I can tell. The only thing besides that that I would change is the number font for the Penguins. The font they use now fits universally for them IMO. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The jerseys aren't meant to be grey, I guess the overlay on my template isn't as opaque as it should be. Regardless, on to the next one.

Here's an alternate I'd love to see the Sabres wear sometime soon. They haven't had a good yellow jersey as of yet, and after their return to royal, it feels like the time is right for a golden alternate. The striping is inspired by the Buffalo Bisons, but the double stripe is moved to the chest to modernize the look.

B3GCz6O.png

FWIW, the "grey" here is meant to be white, too ;)

• DTConcepts changed the title to dt concept's hockey jerseys (sabres 11/19)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • DTConcepts changed the title to dt concept's hockey jerseys (devils alternate redo 11/28)
On 11/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, DTConcepts said:

howdy y'all. the other day, i got hit with a wave of creativity that inspired me to crank out a number of hockey jersey concepts. they're not really part of any series, nor are they inspired by anything in particular, but i figured i'd share 'em here anyways.

to kick off this little non-series, here's a jersey i made for the pittsburgh penguins. according to nhluniforms.com, the team is supposed to be coming out with an alternate jersey before too long, and as a result, i decided to take a swing at it.

XhRoX8K.png

the jersey's an mix of a number of eras in penguins hockey. the jersey itself is modeled after the team's home jerseys from 1977-1980, with some added yellow stripes to reference the team's first black and gold jerseys that were unveiled in the middle of the 1980 season. the shoulder patches mix the team's 1968 roundel logo with the robo-penguin era, tying every era of penguins hockey together.

i'll have a bunch more jerseys to upload later, but here's where i'm starting. what are your thoughts?

I like this, but I don't know if I could see it being a fulltime alternate. maybe an outdoor game? The blues work well with the yellow you've used in the striping and being on a gray jersey works well with the colors you're working with

ZUH86xc.png

On 11/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, DTConcepts said:

Wow!! Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys. Really, really good stuff to build off of.

Jokes aside, I'm gonna keep posting my concepts anyways. Here's an alternate I made for the Red Wings inspired by the old Detroit Cougars' jerseys.

hIDd6bd.png

This is how you do a Detroit alternate. While I think that this could easily be used in an outdoor game, but I think it'd be a good fulltime alternate for the Red Wings. I really like the Captain C on the shoulders.

ZUH86xc.png

20 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I'm back. Here's how I'd fix the god-awful alts released by the Devils the other day, all within the framework of the official jerseys.

tKjEhWz.png

Crazy how much a little color can improve a jersey.

This is already better. I'm interested in seeing someone incorporate green into this jersey in someway

ZUH86xc.png

• DTConcepts changed the title to a series of hockey jerseys (senators 12/6)

thanks for the kind words, @johne9109! on to the next one.

this is a concept for the senators. as much as i like their "new" jerseys, i think they're a team that belongs in red, and should also embrace the more unique aspects of their identity. red/gold/black is a unique color scheme, and it deserves to be shown off. the laurel pattern on their logo is also pretty neat, and i really like the way their 2000-20007 alternate implemented it into the striping. all that being said, this is my ideal look for the sens:

QMbWAdP.png

Damn, you guys are really helpful. So much constructive criticism in this thread. /s

Anyways, here's a fix for the Predators and their god-awful Stadium Series jerseys they unveiled the other day. Much like the Devils concept I posted not too long ago, I'm not trying to start from scratch with these jerseys, I'm just trying to tweak the original ideas in the sweater to make it look better.

wIydEIk.png

I personally think that the real-life Preds jerseys are in the top 10 worst NHL jerseys of all time. While some coloring tweaks and music-inspired striping changes, these jerseys can be dragged into the ugly-but-passable column instead.

What do you think? Better? Worse? Any other tweaks I should make?

• DTConcepts changed the title to a series of hockey jerseys (predators stadium series 12/8)

I appreciate the effort but the whole idea of "SMASHVILLE" is just so nasty that not much can save it, at least to me.

The font with varying widths could be a good choice if there wasn't such an extreme different in widths between the glyphs. Right now, I can picture that "9" getting mistaken for other numbers at a distance, especially when seen from the stands or TV cameras at an outdoor game.

I'd suggest swapping out the logo and replacing the font with something with consistent widths. Those are the two big things. The rest is decent but the bad things are just so awful (and not even remotely your fault either).

The officially revealed Predators jersey is such a tragedy and you've improved it quite a bit. I would love to see an option with Nashville instead of Smashville (is there anyone that likes that on an official jersey?). I think they're going for a Hatch Show Print with that font.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, Edubdesign said:

I appreciate the effort but the whole idea of "SMASHVILLE" is just so nasty that not much can save it, at least to me.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:35 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Why don't you just modify Smashville itself? Right now it looks unbearable no matter how you fix the jersey.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:00 AM, shadyloaf said:

I would love to see an option with Nashville instead of Smashville

Thanks for the criticism, y'all. I tried my best to salvage this jersey by dropping the majority of the ideas that Adidas put into it. I kept the hatch print, but fixed the numbers to be a more standard block font without varying widths. I took the two-line font and changed it to be a more college-hockey-like arch, knowing that college/high-school football is big in Tennessee. I also added a yellow waist stripe which wasn't present in my first redesign, because I think it adds a good touch of color to an otherwise empty jersey.

QoykZ0Y.png

What do y'all think? Better? Worse? Lateral move? Let me know!

• DTConcepts changed the title to a series of hockey jerseys (predators stadium series update 12/10)

Thanks for the kind words! Next up is an era mash for the Flames. As good as the Flames' "new" throwback jerseys look, I don't like the tendency for teams to directly throwback to old designs instead of creating something original. Here's my attempt to balance old and new for Calgary:

4QgyLCS.png

• DTConcepts changed the title to a series of hockey jerseys (calgary flames 12/13)

I'm normally not on board with using black in Calgary concepts, and the pedestal jersey doesn't make sense to me... But the use of its design as a yoke is a *really* nice adaption of it.

I would suggest you remove the red outline from the C logo, and maybe recolor the boot logo to lack a visible outline but have a black skate & spur. Otherwise, a solid look!

I know it's meant to be white, but honestly, the Red Wings look surprisingly good in a subtle silver / GFGS. The design of the jersey is also pleasant; I like the arched wordmark + logo look.

Like the idea of yellow for the Sabres... The white hem is a bit too much white for my taste; I'd just go with the stripe and that's it. I'd also ditch the yellow outline on the numbers that appears nowhere else.

Not feeling the Nashville edits, though I'm of the unpopular opinion that the real thing wasn't terrible... But both ways you've tried have just made it too busy; the solid chest stripe was reserved enough for the unorthodox text. I think your second attempt would be nice with a more traditionally-set, horizontal "Nashville" script above the pick; but the thick stripes you have don't mesh with the arch and the Hatch Press lettering IMO.

I like the era combine idea for Pittsburgh, but the color hierarchy is a touch confused to me... I think this design either wants less powder blue or it wants to have a subtler shade of powder blue as a base a la '70s baseball, and I can't tell which.

Also, it's a solid logo in and of itself, but the Robo-penguin feels out of place alongside the roundel and the traditional logo.

Your take on the Senators is a huge improvement on the original laurel jersey (of which I am not a fan); really nice use of white.

Good work here!

• 1 month later...

Eh, I'm not gonna complain, given I didn't originally create the boot, merely cleaned it up.  Going Podium without the podium...interesting idea, I think it translates pretty well.  Not sold on the number font though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived