NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

On 10/28/2022 at 8:13 AM, Sport said:

Look at the size of those TV numbers. They're smaller than the Captain's C. I don't know how anyone can look at that and think those humorously tiny numbers are A. a necessity for player identification and B. look better than just leaving it empty. 

spacer.png

I just think the panthers need a complete overhaul. Here I don’t mind no TV a numbers unlike the bengals since here it had the logos on the sides and uses all 3 major colors 

18 hours ago, Volt said:

I can somewhat understand your position, except that the Raiders are just Black & Silver and the Lions have, historically outside of the Megatron years, not featured Black.  You're comparing 2-color team schemes to a 3-color team scheme.

The Falcons are also at their best when they have Silver working under their Black & Red; without it, again, the scheme falls flats, with only 2 layers of contrast instead of 3.   The Silver in these designs simply give the scheme more contrast, which gives it more depth & weight.  You have the darkest tone (Black), and middle greytone (Silver) and the pop of bright color (Red for Falcons or Blue for Carolina).  Without that mid-tone, the two extremes compete with each other, rather than have separation.

Not sure if that makes sense.   This is my art side of my brain speaking.  Might've never used that 6-figure college degree for what it was intended for, but I do feel I've got a grasp on color (as I should...had to take Color Theory twice).  It's also 11:43pm and I'm hopped up on Halloween candy.

Silver can work as a tertiary color for the panthers but I don’t like the silver helmet. I don’t think having the logo on a silver helmet works. Plus having the panther logo on a black helmet looks way cooler. Numbers and stripes can be outlined with silver. I wouldn’t be totally against nuking the silver but it should be minimized. 

• Dislike 5

9 hours ago, ripall90 said:

How is everything a mess? The helmet is amazing 

Since I took a moment to reply with snark, I'll take another minute or two to reply respectfully, as I always hated the straight snark replies on this board.

The Photoshop work is done well on this design, I think most will agree.  Most will likely disagree whether this is a good concept.  This is why:

1.  Scratch/Claw marks - this is very bush league.  You'd see this kind of mark in the former Arena League, or on low-budget school or community sports teams that aren't buying Nike, UA, or Adidas uniforms.  In fact, I used to see a lot of this kind of stuff in the all-over sublimated "semi-pro" uniforms people used to order from Facebook for like $29.99.  It's hokey.   We get that they're the Panthers, but this is the NFL, not the Indoor Semi-Pro Regional Football Comeback League.  They are done about as tastefully as one could do them in this design, but a skunk is a skunk...it stinks.  

The Michigan Wolverines don't have claw marks on their uniforms.  Think that way.  This is football, not X-Men.

2.  Black 1-Sided Helmet - we've seen from this year's alternate helmet that Black, while in theory might've seemed "fire", looks like garbage on the field with the current uniforms as it throws off all balance, and honestly, in this mock-up, it looks way too similar to what Jacksonville's actual uniforms look like now.  Also, I know the Chargers did it, and it doesn't mean they should have or that anyone else should, but the 1-sided number only works, ever, on traditional, throwback looks when the uniform is so plain and old school that the number actually adds design value.  Here, you're competing with a 90's logo, oversized on one side of the helmet, and then you have a small, modern, italicized font on the other?  Doesn't work.   The AAF was another example of how not to do it.

3.  Missing Silver - this design has taken one of the franchise's core colors completely out of the equation, diluting not just the design aesthetic, but the brand itself.

4.  Color Combos - removing Silver eliminated their best combo....Black over Silver...and the lack of Silver helmet makes it even worse.  We have enough teams that wear Black jerseys over White pants:  Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens, Eagles, Bengals, Jaguars.  The Black/White/Blue combo is not great, and again too similar to the Jags.

5.  Number Font - might look cool as a team brand font, but not for jersey numbers.  Italicized numbers are hard to pull off on football jerseys; see Detroit.  To do it, the numbers must be thick and blocky, but even then it can be odd.  While I'm a fan of 1-color numbers on football jerseys, in this case, this uniform just looks way too much like Jacksonville, and takes a dramatic step away from Carolina's existing brand image, which is not terrible by any means.  Their current number font is classic, and provides a nice contrast to the 90's design aspects of their uniform.  It's really a nice mix of traditional with modern touches that weren't over-the-top that just work really well with their color scheme.

I think people fantasize about re-designing the Panthers because it seems sexy to use this great color palette and the aggressive Panther logo/brand, and the current uniforms have the issue with the TV numbers and their bad combo choices, but this team really doesn't need a major update, if one at all.

They could remove the TV numbers, or Nike could build them a new template that or modify the shoulder stripes to better fit (this could also be achieved by dropping the Panther logo from the sleeve and moving the striping onto the sleeve panel, like the Rams did), MAYBE slightly modify their traditional full block number font, modify their helmet  stripe (which is definitely dated) & maybe their pant stripe, and they'd be set.  They should scrap their Blue Color Rush uniforms altogether and use that as the opportunity taken with a light update to trot out some fun, experimental, futuristic Oregon-style Blue uniform with alternate Blue or White helmet, but these uniforms right here are just a few tweaks shy of being perfect:

o7psdhbukewxneutktdi.jpg

wfbfgsr7jmridbw8vjmp.jpg

ejq6zrvix4m7blgeo3ll.jpg

qpaepjnqghdzyknrvyo0.jpg

pmbjfthoalonhec0ryzy.jpg

kw7pbq58baevxmxwkwpb.jpg

NOTE:   Panthers wore Black socks/accessories with their White/White uniforms vs the Falcons last weekend; is this maybe the 2nd or 3rd time they've done that ?  They normally wore Blue, then lately it's been White, but I don't recall ever seeing them wear this much Black with their White/White combo, except maybe once before and WOW...I like it.  Should be a permanent change.  Ties in with the Black numbers perfectly.

• Like 12

@Volt

1. I never understood this "It doesn't look NFL"/"It looks like Arena football" argument. Also the current panthers stripes are meant to loop like scratch marks. I'm just not a fan of the scratch marks on the current uniforms they look strange. Maybe on the redesign they could change the stripes or get rid of them altogether but they look better than the current uniforms which are too busy even if you remove the TV numbers

2. By that logic the Panthers look like the Raiders. First off Jax needs a complete overhaul. Second the black helmet looks way better than silver imo. Like I said I am not a fan of the silver for the Panthers. The black fits the sleek panther aesthetic much better and makes an illusion of something more than floating head. I also don't mind the number on the helmet. Would it be better to remove it and leave it plain?

3. Again I don't mind. They've already begun moving away from silver. If you want silver as an outline on the numbers or on the pants that is fine I just disagree with you about the Panthers color scheme. Unlike the gold with the Jags, the silver doesn't add much. I've always been of the opinion silver should be a substitute for white. If the numbers and pants were silver I'd be for it. Plus it does look like Panther fur when it is glossy in the sun. But Nike has shown they can't do metallic pants colors so if they move away from the silver I'm  fine. Those images you posted the pants look gray instead of silver. The electric blue is already unique enough.  It still feels like a 90s team even without the silver 

This looks like silver 

NFL-ARIZONA-CARDINALS-AT-CAROLINA-PANTHE

4. You cited for teams who wear black as an alt. And look at how many baseball teams use navy and red. Like I said add silver pants that is fine.

5. Jacksonville has block font. Also see earlier in this thread what this guy did for Jax and the Panthers look nothing like them. This is italic. I don't see the comparison. Even then again want to slap a blue and silver outline I am fine with that. 

Ultimately I just disagree with your premise. I don't think the Panthers uniforms can be salvaged. They aren't bad they are just really outdated and the Nike template and materials are incompatible. I never really understood why the panthers stuck with these uniforms for so long even when new ownership took over.

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

the current panthers stripes are meant to loop like scratch marks

Where on earth did you come to this conclusion? That's never been the case for the Panthers, and if it was the striping looks absolutely nothing like claw marks. The original 1995 uniform release must've invented Nikespeak a decade early and I didn't notice. I'd love to know where you heard this absolute ludicrous statement.

• LOL 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 minute ago, PERRIN said:

Where on earth did you come to this conclusion? That's never been the case for the Panthers, and if it was the striping looks absolutely nothing like claw marks. The original 1995 uniform release must've invented Nikespeak a decade early and I didn't notice. I'd love to know where you heard this absolute ludicrous statement.

this isn't nike speak. The fact it does to a point looks like a big scratch mark 

• Huh? 1

1 minute ago, ripall90 said:

this isn't nike speak. The fact it does to a point looks like a big scratch mark 

Calling that a 'fact' isn't just a stretch, it's yoga. I don't see anything remotely resembling a scratch mark; It's a typical shoulder loop. It doesn't even terminate into a point. If anything, current USC or the Brady-era Patriots sets look more like claw marks than anything the Panthers have worn. Jesus Christ my dude what are you smoking

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns