Lakers black bands

Roger Clemente

Anyone notice on the Lakers uniforms that Shaq and Kobe (I haven't noticed it on anybody else) have these black stripes going across the front from the collar to the left arm-hole?   What are these and what are they for?  I'm thinking maybe they are in memory of Chick Hearn, but I could be wrong.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

select players on other teams wear similar bands on their jerseys too, so i don't think it's for chick.  maybe it's for captaincy, i'm not sure but that's what i assume.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I agree and have also seen them wear the black bands in the past, but I have heard commentary and also found an article last night stating that the reason for THE current bands were for Chick.

They're the yankees of the NBA.  Since a team is filled with tradition, when someone passes on, they were the black stripe in remembrance.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

i heard of the yankees wanting to do this since a few of people in there oganizaton kept bitting the big one (for lack of a better term). Its in honor of everyone that has died.

I think this it what it is for but i can try to ask some1 in the lakers organization if u guys want.

Yeah, it's for people who've died. The first time I remember a team doing it was the Bulls back when Michael Jordan's father was murdered. I think the Lakers are getting a little carried away though, it seems like they've worn them practically every year. They kinda lose meaning after a while.

NBA teams have been doing this for years and years.  Which is why I'm so perplexed by this arguement.

NFL and MLB teams do this all the time too; can't speak for hockey teams though.

NHL teams usually have a special patch made in dedication.

The Hurricanes wore a small number 3 on a black circle in memory of Steve Chaisson.

The Kings last year wore that "AM" American flag patch in honor of Ace Bailey and Mark Davis(?) who died in the World Trade Center disaster. The Rangers had that red and blue twin towers patch, but as far as I know, it wasn't for anybody specifically. The Captials had a patch too, but I don't know what it was.

The Canadiens (and Expos!) wore a small #9 on their sleeves in honor of Maurice Richard.

I think the Maple Leafs had a little green clover on their sweaters when King Clancy died, I'm not certain on this one.

The Blue Jackets wore a little heart with B.N.C. inside it on their helmets in honor of Brittany Cecil, the fan who died from getting hit by a puck.

There are plenty more I'm sure, but I can only think of these off the top of my head.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers had a patch next season as two of their founding members have passed away over the past few months.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived