NHL Uniform Concepts - FINAL WORDS

edjb93

6 hours ago, edjb93 said:

HARTFORD WHALERS

Even if I already did a Whalers-inspired Reverse Retro for the Hurricanes, I still would like to take a shot at making a separate concept set. The home and road uniforms are a mix-up of the team's long-time green-heavy NHL uniforms and the ones from their final years—without any trace of silver. I used a recolored version of their 1992-1997 logo as the primary logo/front crest to even out the color distribution of the jerseys.

I can tell that the alternate I made looks similar to my Islanders alt, but it contains an homage to the team's WHA uniforms, specifically the 1974-1977 uniforms.

Speaking of which, that's also the inspiration of my Reverse Retro concept: a yellow version of the jerseys from that period.

Li2i8Jk.png

N0hoT1E.png

SbqK3DQ.png

eTY3jU2.png

Beautiful all around. Few Whalers concepts are able to balance forward thinking and classic, but you nailed it here. There are touches of the Whalers previous NHL uniforms while also taking that step further and making them feel new and different. The alternate does the same. The RR is where you loose me a little bit. I get that these were their WHA colors, but the mostly yellow just feels weird for the Whalers. With it being a RR and only being worn a handful of times I'd be ok with it, but this would not work as a full time thing. I'd be interested in the WHA era uniform colored in NHL colors or the NHL uniform colored in WHA colors. Still amazing job all around

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

I know that my initial Reverse Retro concept feels really weird to some because of the choice of colors (especially with yellow), but here's a white version of my concept, with touches of light blue for familiarity.

rx1D86n.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Brass Bonanza Update
  • 1 month later...

Hi all! I would like to apologize for not posting new concepts or updates in this forum. I'm actually busy with work these days, especially that we have a massive project to be accomplished this March. Also, I have been into working out at the gym to further improve my health.

Anyway, I'm already done with the logos for the Hampton Roads Rhinos (per @VampyrRabbit's request); now, all I have to do is to create the uniform concepts. However, I'm not sure when shall I continue that.

In the meantime, let me know which defunct team should I conceptualize next. I'd love to hear from you, guys.

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - UPDATE

HAMPTON ROADS RHINOS

They're finally here. The Hampton Roads Rhinos, at least in this concept world, have arrived. With that, we need to have new logos for them, since the original one is just too 90's. For starters, the primary logo might be too similar to the Grand Rapids Rampage logo, but it contains tweaks to give the rhino head logo a unique identity. I also gave the HR logo a complete overhaul too (shoutout to @72freebie for recreating the original version). Finally, we have a triangular logo that features the design from the flag of Hampton Roads.

r7c5nh0.png

Now, onto the uniforms we go. The home, road, and alternate uniforms feature a single design, with the base colors being the only significant difference among the three and, in the case of the alternate jersey, a collar lace. Y'all might have observed that I'm using the current colors of the Charlotte Hornets in this concept. That's because George Shinn, then-owner of the Hornets, was responsible for lobbying the NHL to bring a franchise to Hampton Roads, thus in that aspect, the iconic purple-and-teal combo is used here.

The Reverse Retro choice is an easy one: it's the proposed uniform design, but in black. Unfortunately, I could not find images showing the back of the jersey, so I had to assume that a block font was used for the NOB and the numbers.

qnJ25qs.png

Wvq3UBu.png

RpbsMh5.png

eGp8mK2.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Rhinos Are Finally Here

Thanks so much for doing this.

The logos look great, and the teal and purple look sharp.  I do prefer hem striping instead of it coming down from the sides, wonder howthe home and road would  look with hem stripes.

The reverse retro is fantastic, especially with those original logos.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:27 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

I do prefer hem striping instead of it coming down from the sides, wonder how the home and road would look with hem stripes.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:26 AM, eegl75 said:

honestly this could work for the anaheim ducks. the colors have been used by them (sorta) and the jersey design is very similar to their current jerseys

The immediate fix that I thought of is to use hem striping instead of side panels and changing the colors specifically on the white jersey. But it's not just your ordinary hem striping—it's a wavy design taken from the flag of Hampton Roads. As for changing the colors, it went from purple-silver-teal to vice-versa, so that it won't look too much like the Mighty Ducks' original jerseys.

yEWc0LV.png

vDXfps1.png

GEKomNI.png

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Rhinos Are Finally Here... For An Update!

I like the look of the second set better, but the first set feels much more realistic. The Rhinos, much like the Ducks, would've been stuck with a cartoonishly 90's name, and they probably would've followed the same branding arc as the Ducks as a result. Those first jerseys definitely fit the assignment and pass with flying marks, even if the second ones look better. The logos on both jerseys are absolutely gorgeous, too.

If you're in the market for doing another team that never was, you should try your hand at making a set for the Rocky Mountain Extreme.

COLORADO ROCKIES

You might wonder how the Rockies would look like now if the team stayed in Denver. Look no further, 'cause I have created a modernized concept of their original uniforms. For this concept, I was thinking about going with two separate pants for the home and road jerseys, but I ultimately settled into only one: the red pants. I used rounded fonts for the numbers and the NOB to follow the motif of the "C" from the state flag and the logos. And, in what would be a first in this particular forum topic, I added the state flag on the uniform, particularly on the pants.

Adding to the modernization of the Rockies, I went with an alternate uniform that features mountain shapes, which was inspired by the Double Series concept of @StevenGrant94. This features a new roundel logo featuring the phrase 'Mile High Hockey', much like the 'Mile High City' of the Denver Nuggets.

Finally, the Reverse Retro features a hockey team from the same city that's short-lived in the majors (only 34 games, to be exact): Denver Spurs. I went with the team's orange jersey design as my basis, since the white jersey is too similar to the Rockies' jerseys. Then I made the jersey base color white, applied the Rockies' colors (even on the front crest), and made the pants' color blue.

EhPhfS2.png

2kGhBrQ.png

DnWHksy.png

VNdSIqK.png

• Like 10

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Hockey Rockies

on the Rockies' road uni i feel like you need to balance it out with more blue, so i'd try the numbers. Or you could make the bottom hem of the jersey blue,  and the other blue stripes a little thicker similar to the reverse retro. I think that would look really good.

• Like 1

As an explanation regarding the contrasting styles of my Rockies home and road jersey concepts, I initially wanted the home look to be blue-heavy and the road look to be white-and-red. With that being said, I added more blue to my white jersey, but I placed the additional blue on the sleeve cuffs and the shoulder. Finally, the main striping on the jersey features a thicker blue outer stripe, but maintains what I wanted for the yellow and red portions.

cT1Xcl5.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Definitely an improvement. Could we see another version with blue numbers and a white yoke? The red numbers make sense in the context of mimicking the 'C' logo, but I think they could balance the colors out a bit too.

In that spirit, I modified the outlining of the numbers. Since the inner outline is usually yellow, I made it red, with yellow becoming the outer outline color. I initially wanted to retain the yellow inner number outline, but I thought moving this color to the outer outline looks better.

I also changed the shoulder patch to the Mile High Hockey roundel, so that there's a right balance between blue and red all over the entire road uniform.

JpZkjzt.png

• Like 3

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - Updated Rockies' Look on the Road
9 hours ago, edjb93 said:

In that spirit, I modified the outlining of the numbers. Since the inner outline is usually yellow, I made it red, with yellow becoming the outer outline color. I initially wanted to retain the yellow inner number outline, but I thought moving this color to the outer outline looks better.

I also changed the shoulder patch to the Mile High Hockey roundel, so that there's a right balance between blue and red all over the entire road uniform.

JpZkjzt.png

This is probably the best. Having the blue numbers balance with the logo on the front

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS

Another request by @BuckDancer, this team is memorable despite its short history. For the colors, I chose to combine green, teal, and yellow, as a nod to the various eras of the Seals. Since the logo might be too old-school today, I decided to give a modern take on it. I also gave two versions of the seal: one without the C and another with the seal's head only. I also modified the Seals wordmark that the team used in its final years.

dUv5EGO.png

Since I associate this particular creature with water, I went with a curvy design from the sleeves to the shoulders on the home and road jerseys.

The alternate uniform pays tribute to the teal-and-yellow era with a design that's similar from the ones during that era but with alterations for uniqueness' sake.

Finally, the Reverse Retro takes the design of the 1969-70 green jersey and made a teal-and-yellow version of it, with yellow being the jersey's base color. The front crest, meanwhile, was an unused one. It was supposed to be part of the inaugural uniforms but eventually went with the script-less version.

ohe7Fs9.png

oSk7CB0.png

kOghM9c.png

U8gvxqd.png

• Like 7
  • Love 4

• edjb93 changed the title to NHL Uniform Concepts - The Flamboyant Golden Seals

Hi everyone! I'm planning to do a few more teams: Kansas City Scouts (either I can use the logos from the failed NAHL team of the same name or create modernized versions of the original logos), Montreal Maroons, and Cleveland Barons. Plus, I might take a shot at the proposed identity for the Colorado Avalanche before it became the Avalanche.

After that, I can go for 2024 All-Star uniform concepts, then that's about it.

I wanna say this in advance: thanks for all your support in this series, may it be through your emoji reactions or comments. This is my first go-to on hockey uniforms, and I fully appreciate everything here.

If there are still a few more teams you want me to conceptualize, let me know.

Again, thanks!

19 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

Might want to give credit for that seal logo^

If you're thinking it's copied from McElroy19's Seattle Sea Lions concept, it isn't. It has similar shading on the seal's body, but the face details and body shape are completely different. As someone who's traced the face from that same Sea Lions concept in the past, I feel like I'd know haha. If it's another concept you're thinking of, I can't seem to find it anywhere after a quick google search. Pretty sure edjb93's concept is original.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns