North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I was traveling yesterday and missed it, but damn Messi does it again!

And his next game will be a 107 degree game in Frisco at night......so next time he plays FC Dallas after this, it will probably be at the Jerry Dome in Arlington, Texas, which recently sold out El Classico between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.  

2sn5ne4fitfb1.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

And his next game will be a 107 degree game in Frisco at night......so next time he plays FC Dallas after this, it will probably be at the Jerry Dome in Arlington, Texas, which recently sold out El Classico between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.  

2sn5ne4fitfb1.jpg

It'll probably stay at Toyota Stadium since those are the seats sold for the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

2sn5ne4fitfb1.jpg

So there have been celebrities like LeBron and Serena Williams at the last two home games for Messi. If I had to guess who will be in attendance for Messi's first road game in Frisco, Texas, I will guess it will be a certain basketball legend from Germany who spent two decades in Dallas and is still beloved around here, his heir apparent, a Spanish speaking Slovenian superstar and his weirdo teammate and probably a few Dallas Stars.  

6 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Apparently the USL pro/rel vote is now on hold

https://theathletic.com/4747662/2023/08/03/usl-promotion-relegation-vote/

They probably realize there are a lot of owners who would need to spend massive amounts of money on upgrades just to the stadiums that they can't afford to do, or don't want to do, to meet Division 1 standards.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Daddy Garber will find a way.

There's only so much he can do. Moving operations to an NFL stadium is a massive logistical undertaking and is not an easy thing to do for a tournament like this where the home team hosts and you can't plan the schedule 9 months in advance. Especially nowadays where the stadium concert tour circuit requires such absurd production elements that it takes a week to set up/tear down a one-day show. (See also why Charlotte, hilariously, had to give up their home games for Leagues Cup knockouts thanks to Beyonce.) MLS will make crazy money on these "intimate" venues for a Messi appearance, though... much easier to get close than it ever was at Camp Nou, as long as you pay for it.

• Like 1

On this subject, I just turned on Chicago Fire vs Club America and they're playing at the old Bridgeview stadium. A throwback game! But -- considering Club America is one of the Liga MX teams that will sell tens of thousands of tickets at any stadium in the US -- it goes to show you the logistic difficulty of this tournament as it stands, though kind of a cruel irony for the Fire who can never catch a break. Is it Taylor Swift weekend at Soldier Field or what?

5 hours ago, Digby said:

On this subject, I just turned on Chicago Fire vs Club America and they're playing at the old Bridgeview stadium. A throwback game! But -- considering Club America is one of the Liga MX teams that will sell tens of thousands of tickets at any stadium in the US -- it goes to show you the logistic difficulty of this tournament as it stands, though kind of a cruel irony for the Fire who can never catch a break. Is it Taylor Swift weekend at Soldier Field or what?

Apparently Sunday is the Chicago Bears Family Fest and first practice at the stadium. I believe SeatGeek is still their practice facility and is the home of their MLS Next Pro team. Charlotte meanwhile played their home game in Frisco, because Beyonce took over their stadium. Im surprised they didnt try to find another suitable venue in North Carolina or even South Carolina.

• Huh? 1

Signature intentionally left blank

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Apparently Sunday is the Chicago Bears Family Fest and first practice at the stadium. I believe SeatGeek is still their practice facility and is the home of their MLS Next Pro team. Charlotte meanwhile played their home game in Frisco, because Beyonce took over their stadium. Im surprised they didnt try to find another suitable venue in North Carolina or even South Carolina.

This isn't a good look. It goes to show that, even under shared ownership, the MLS team will always be the second (or third) priority tenant in an NFL venue, no matter how much growth the league exhibits. 

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This isn't a good look. It goes to show that, even under shared ownership, the MLS team will always be the second (or third) priority tenant in an NFL venue, no matter how much growth the league exhibits. 

That concert was also probably locked in two years ago. And Beyonce will bring in multiples more money.

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It's Messi night! There's a strong possibility Miami ends up with its first-ever trophy and I'm all for it.

Also really happy for DeAndre Yedlin. Seattle-area player, Seattle Sounders legend, and a guy who ultimately never really quite made it in EPL.

And just like that, Messi scores!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Such a wild game. Good on FC Dallas for making it tough and, almost, winning. They seem to have lost their heads at the end, just more Messi Effect. 

The thing that really strikes me about watching Messi in MLS (besides his insane precision being more obvious against this sort of opposition) is that he is truly the type of guy who makes the people around you better. Not just because he attracts the attention and can be a god-level playmaker but also he seems to just have injected this whole team with such confidence. I guess it's the "We have Messi so we'll be fine" approach. It also helps that the worst team in the league was able to gut its roster and get a new coach seemingly overnight.

I don't know that it would reflect well on MLS for a bunch of 35+ guys to be able to just stroll in, hardly practice, and immediately win a trophy, though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Such a wild game. Good on FC Dallas for making it tough and, almost, winning. They seem to have lost their heads at the end, just more Messi Effect. 

The thing that really strikes me about watching Messi in MLS (besides his insane precision being more obvious against this sort of opposition) is that he is truly the type of guy who makes the people around you better. Not just because he attracts the attention and can be a god-level playmaker but also he seems to just have injected this whole team with such confidence. I guess it's the "We have Messi so we'll be fine" approach. It also helps that the worst team in the league was able to gut its roster and get a new coach seemingly overnight.

I don't know that it would reflect well on MLS for a bunch of 35+ guys to be able to just stroll in, hardly practice, and immediately win a trophy, though.

I think the Messi affect plays with the refs as well as the opposition. That Martinez flop that got them a PK to go ahead vs Orlando was pathetic, but it got them the PK. Messi just sitting off to the right of him pulled away a CB to keep that run from happening. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags