North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

So what would you rather be if you are fan of the USL Championship: be content with its Division II status as a soccer league in the US?  Or sell your soul to the Saudis to compete against MLS as Division 1?

On Reddit, there are many USL fans who hate the MLS (and everything it stands for) and hopes that USL Championship goes Division 1, but won't do it if it means that USL Championship has to sell their soul to the Saudis and otherwise have no answers as to how they would make USLC Division 1 in competition with MLS without selling their soul to PIF.  

They already have a Women's League that plans on competing against the NWSL, which is interesting because of Louisville and North Carolina.  Do they try to convince Racing Louisville and NC Courage to jump leagues so that they can have all USL teams under one banner?

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So what would you rather be if you are fan of the USL Championship: be content with its Division II status as a soccer league in the US?  Or sell your soul to the Saudis to compete against MLS as Division 1?

On Reddit, there are many USL fans who hate the MLS (and everything it stands for) and hopes that USL Championship goes Division 1, but won't do it if it means that USL Championship has to sell their soul to the Saudis and otherwise have no answers as to how they would make USLC Division 1 in competition with MLS without selling their soul to PIF.  

They already have a Women's League that plans on competing against the NWSL, which is interesting because of Louisville and North Carolina.  Do they try to convince Racing Louisville and NC Courage to jump leagues so that they can have all USL teams under one banner?

Unless the W League gets big investors I don't think we'll se them compete on equal footing with the NWSL. And I also think that having competing women's leagues won't help either, because we know the NWSL is not close to getting the same amount of money the WSL in England gets, and the W League will be in line behind them anyways. And it's easier for providers to walk away from women's sports then men's, no matter who the stars are in those leagues. If the NBA ever tried making the WNBA swim on their own, it'd shut down within three seasons unless a lot more money came into the game, and not in player salaries, just the background requirements.

USL is clearly the Division II league and unless US Soccer is getting a cut of that money to lift USL Championship up to the same level as MLS, US Soccer won't be approving it. I also don't think the league is ready to spend what it would need to in infrastructure to increase stadium sizes and practice facilities. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unless the W League gets big investors I don't think we'll se them compete on equal footing with the NWSL. And I also think that having competing women's leagues won't help either, because we know the NWSL is not close to getting the same amount of money the WSL in England gets, and the W League will be in line behind them anyways. And it's easier for providers to walk away from women's sports then men's, no matter who the stars are in those leagues. If the NBA ever tried making the WNBA swim on their own, it'd shut down within three seasons unless a lot more money came into the game, and not in player salaries, just the background requirements.

USL is clearly the Division II league and unless US Soccer is getting a cut of that money to lift USL Championship up to the same level as MLS, US Soccer won't be approving it. I also don't think the league is ready to spend what it would need to in infrastructure to increase stadium sizes and practice facilities. 

USL would have to sell their soul to the Saudis to be Division I and it's likely not worth it.  But there are USL fans who hate the MLS and everything they stand for and wish for the USL to be DI.  

Makes sense. Its been awhile since it had been to Columbus. New stadium, plus the whole Save The Crew campaign. I heard Cincinnati also applied to host for 2024, but decided to bow out to focus on building their new district outside TQL Stadium instead.

Signature intentionally left blank

On 6/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, GDAWG said:

What would the motivation be in USL taking on MLS directly? It used to be that such moves were designed to force the established leagues to expand via merger, a la the AFL, ABA and WHL models. But I can't imagine that as a logical outcome in the case of MLS, which is in perpetual expansion mode. Simply merging and adding USL franchises to the league would mean leaving billions on the table. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

What would the motivation be in USL taking on MLS directly? It used to be that such moves were designed to force the established leagues to expand via merger, a la the AFL, ABA and WHL models. But I can't imagine that as a logical outcome in the case of MLS, which is in perpetual expansion mode. Simply merging and adding USL franchises to the league would mean leaving billions on the table. 

It comes mostly from USL fans on Reddit who hate the MLS and everything it stands for and praised the San Diego Loyal for not selling their soul to go the MLS.  Realistically, the USL has neither the cash nor the markets to compete with the MLS.  

It's the USL's Women's League (the USL Super League) that wants to compete with the NWSL for D1 Status.  

FC Cincinnati fell just short of a record 12 wins at home to start the season tonight, coming back to draw with New England 2-2, in a hard fought game between the top two teams in MLS. FCC looked like the better team, but several missed opportunities and an own goal killed them tonight.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 1:51 PM, GDAWG said:

Time out—whose jerseys are those? If they're not Miami's, they doggone well should be—that aqua green adds a good lil' bit of flavor to the pink & black....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

So Galaxy was the home team in Pasadena? Would the Coliseum be considered LAFC's alternate home venue?

I'd think it's more like Texas/Oklahoma and the Cotton Bowl. A Fourth of July game at the Rose bowl every year might not be a bad idea for those two. Maybe even having a doubleheader with each playing another team.

An USL coach has been brought in to the English League One:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66122484

"Collins spent five years with Sheffield United before leaving to join Tampa in March 2016.

The former centre-back retired from playing to become the club's manager in May 2018, and was named the league's coach of the year in 2021.

He is the Tykes' fifth managerial appointment since October 2020, with the club starting the season at home to Port Vale on Saturday, 5 August".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I said it before and Ill say it again. Ted Unkel is the Angel Hernandez of soccer. Despite getting Unkel'd FC Cincinnati came back to draw Charlotte 2-2. Ian Murphy fresh off his one game suspension for two yellows, earning a red in DC, did the same thing tonight in Charlotte and will be gone for Wednesday at New Jersey. Meanwhile FCC is hurting without Vazquez and Miazga. Why MLS and Liga MX didnt schedule the Leagues Cup at the same time as the Gold Cup is beyond me. It sounds selfish but I need Canada to beat the US in Cincinnati on Sunday so we can get our boys back.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I said it before and Ill say it again. Ted Unkel is the Angel Hernandez of soccer. Despite getting Unkel'd FC Cincinnati came back to draw Charlotte 2-2. Ian Murphy fresh off his one game suspension for two yellows, earning a red in DC, did the same thing tonight in Charlotte and will be gone for Wednesday at New Jersey. Meanwhile FCC is hurting without Vazquez and Miazga. Why MLS and Liga MX didnt schedule the Leagues Cup at the same time as the Gold Cup is beyond me. It sounds selfish but I need Canada to beat the US in Cincinnati on Sunday so we can get our boys back.

I would have taken Unkel over the idiot calling the Crew vs NYCFC game. Gave the Crew 10 cards last night, and Cucho's second yellow was a foul, but normally no one gives a card for trying to play a ball and someone sticks their head down to try clear it. They also didn't look at two potential handballs.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I would have taken Unkel over the idiot calling the Crew vs NYCFC game. Gave the Crew 10 cards last night, and Cucho's second yellow was a foul, but normally no one gives a card for trying to play a ball and someone sticks their head down to try clear it. They also didn't look at two potential handballs.

Crew fan. That was bad. Cucho's card was.... Ugh. Glad we tied after that but shouldn't have been that rough

• Like 1

im so conflicted. It was great to see Brandon Vazquez score for the US in front of fans at his MLS home. But with the US winning it means we will be without him and Matt Miazga for two more really important MLS matches.