North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65832658

Its Happening GIF - Its Happening - Discover & Share GIFs

Previous reports were that MLS were looking to have each team chip in to make this work, but it appears adidas and Apple may be doing most of the heavy lifting to get this done. 

Inside David Beckham's amazing transfer swoop to bring Lionel Messi to  Inter Miami that's taken FIVE years | The US Sun

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/7422938/david-beckham-transfer-lionel-messi-inter-miami/

Noting Barcelona, I wonder if we could see him loaned back for the second half of the season there from January until May/June as a way to circumvent FFP rules. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'll believe it when he's on the field in pink and black.

I have two immediate questions:

1. Who makes money from jersey sales? MLS is about to sell a billion Messi shirts.

2. Will Messi pull a Thierry Henry and refuse to play on turf? Miami isn't on Seattle's schedule this year, but they could probably sell 60k tickets if Messi comes to town and actually plays next year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So they're saying if he does indeed come to MLS, he'd debut with Inter Miami on July 21st... their first game AFTER they play in St. Louis.🤦‍♂️

Not that I would've gone or try to go, but man, if they think that atmosphere is loud now, I can only imagine what it would be with Messi playing.

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So Messi turned down Saudi Arabia for MLS.....the opposite of what Cristiano Ronaldo did.  

MLS will be doing this again with M'Bappe and Neymar in about 5-10 years.  

Ronaldo is one of the greatest ever, but he sure has spent the past few years looking like a chump.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Ronaldo is one of the greatest ever, but he sure has spent the past few years looking like a chump.

I didn't buy the rumors that he was close to signing with Sporting KC anyways. 

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So Messi turned down Saudi Arabia for MLS.....the opposite of what Cristiano Ronaldo did.  

MLS will be doing this again with M'Bappe and Neymar in about 5-10 years.  

Adidas is making sure it's worth Messi's time, and Messi already has a home in Miami. Mbappe would be a harder buy since he's with Nike, and he'll also more likely to go to Real Madrid within the next 5 years than MLS. He's still only 24, so he's got plenty of time in Europe before he starts planning his retirement tour. 

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Just now, GDAWG said:

If he had not been such a whiny prick at United this year, he would have been well respected. But seeing him run to Saudi Arabia shows that the money is what is more important than plaudits. Imagine if he were to have been available for the FA Cup final instead of Weghorst. A win to stop a City treble would have cemented him as the greatest United forward of all time. 

Also, any time we hear a really big name, we know cities like Columbus, Salt Lake and Cincinnati won't be getting them. I think that's why MLS was so comfortable with letting the legacy teams get moved that weren't in LA or New York City/New Jersey. At least until the salary cap gets lifted a bit, who's coming in to help Messi improve that team? Bielsa is reportedly considering coming in as coach, but Messi needs a couple better players as well. 

47 minutes ago, McCall said:

So they're saying if he does indeed come to MLS, he'd debut with Inter Miami on July 21st... their first game AFTER they play in St. Louis.🤦‍♂️

Not that I would've gone or try to go, but man, if they think that atmosphere is loud now, I can only imagine what it would be with Messi playing.

Talking of City, I'm hoping Messi's presence would get Miami a stadium just as nice as St. Louis' in downtown Miami. Hopefully he'd be there to open it as a player still, but the clock is ticking. 

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'll believe it when he's on the field in pink and black.

I have two immediate questions:

1. Who makes money from jersey sales? MLS is about to sell a billion Messi shirts.

2. Will Messi pull a Thierry Henry and refuse to play on turf? Miami isn't on Seattle's schedule this year, but they could probably sell 60k tickets if Messi comes to town and actually plays next year.

1. I think the league makes the majority of the kit money, but the teams get a cut as well based on how many of their own jerseys get sold.

2. I could see Messi choosing not to play on turf unless he absolutely has to, for playoff games. I wonder if MLS would also decide to play games in Seattle or Atlanta when they have to bring in grass for international friendlies and such as a way to get Messi and other European players to make those games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I always thought it was supposed to be LAFC.

All of this excitement could have been his, but he instead chose the Saudi route. Yes, it's $$$$ (how much does he need?), but his play is basically invisible now.

The MLS door is still open for him, but he could have been a leader. Now he's once again chasing Messi.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I always thought it was supposed to be LAFC.

All of this excitement could have been his, but he instead chose the Saudi route. Yes, it's $$$$ (how much does he need?), but his play is basically invisible now.

The MLS door is still open for him, but he could have been a leader. Now he's once again chasing Messi.

he probably didn't want to meet with all 100 owners LAFC has.  

Just stopping by to reiterate just how dumb/derivative the name "Inter Miami" is...

...That's all. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is huge. Messi will be the best player to ever play in MLS. He's not even a year removed from winning the World Cup. Pretty crazy he's going to the worst team in MLS lol.

They better start playing games at Hard Rock instead of that temporary bleacher stadium.

18 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

This is huge. Messi will be the best player to ever play in MLS. He's not even a year removed from winning the World Cup. Pretty crazy he's going to the worst team in MLS lol.

They better start playing games at Hard Rock instead of that temporary bleacher stadium.

that's not going to happen.  The owner of the Miami Dolphins Stephen "I tampered with Tom Brady" Ross hates the MLS and he would have something to say about that if it comes up.

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

that's not going to happen.  The owner of the Miami Dolphins Stephen "I tampered with Tom Brady" Ross hates the MLS and he would have something to say about that if it comes up.

I didn't know there was beef between MLS and the Dolphins owner but there's going to be a lot of money to be made off of this, they might be able to strike a deal. Apple and Adidas played a part in getting Messi and his contract so they could get involved again if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Just stopping by to reiterate just how dumb/derivative the name "Inter Miami" is...

...That's all. 

I agree, however, its not a City, United, FC Miami, Miami FC. Seeing as how it is different from the rest of the league, Ill allow it.

• Like 3

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I agree, however, its not a City, United, FC Miami, Miami FC. Seeing as how it is different from the rest of the league, Ill allow it.

Well, "CF" Miami is only about a half-degree removed from either, so...

...And actually, had they come right out the gate with CF Miami, I MIGHT have been cool with that. Sure it'd have been every bit as derivative,  but it would at least have been halfway unique. Instead, they went the (also predictable) try-too-hard route and tacked "Inter" onto the front for a name that doesn't even roll off the tongue well at all. Ah, whatevs...as if they care what some trucker-type in the northern plains has to say about their silly little name. 😜  They do at least have one of the better badges in MLS, though.

And side note, but check it: anyone else notice the two Florida teams, if/when they play each other, will be pink vs purple? That's just hilarious to me on several different levels...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

https://www.fotmob.com/embed/news/01h2bne9xr0c/luis-suarez-set-to-join-lionel-messi-inter-miami

Luis Suarez coming to Inter Miami too? Wow.

I guess they were just waiting out Higuain.

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Well, "CF" Miami is only about a half-degree removed from either, so...

...And actually, had they come right out the gate with CF Miami, I MIGHT have been cool with that. Sure it'd have been every bit as derivative,  but it would at least have been halfway unique. Instead, they went the (also predictable) try-too-hard route and tacked "Inter" onto the front for a name that doesn't even roll off the tongue well at all. Ah, whatevs...as if they care what some trucker-type in the northern plains has to say about their silly little name. 😜  They do at least have one of the better badges in MLS, though.

And side note, but check it: anyone else notice the two Florida teams, if/when they play each other, will be pink vs purple? That's just hilarious to me on several different levels...

The Inter Miami name is forced, however, as the club's full name by their own badge is Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami.  Even if you abbreviate it some, Inter Miami is still overlooking a lot of the rest of the name. it would be like  team taking the name "Association Football Club" aka AFC, and a team calling themselves "Houston Association FC"...  Something about it feels so wrong. Internacional describes the type of club, rather than the name of said club.

Congrats to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on capturing their second straight Canadian Championship and a spot in next years CONCACAF Champions League Cup.

The US Open Cup semifinals are set. Houston Dynamo will host Real Salt Lake and FC Cincinnati will host Inter Miami (and potentially Messi). Winners will meet in the Open Cup final with Salt Lake having first hosting priority, followed by Miami, and Cincinnati.

Signature intentionally left blank