North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

We are down to the quarterfinals in the US Open Cup

Birmingham and Pittsburgh, the last two, USL clubs remaining, upset their MLS opponents Charlotte and Columbus.  (Rough week for Columbus, losing to both Cincy and Pitt. Ouch)Pittsburgh will play at Cincinnati, Birmingham will host Inter Miami. Chicago hosts Houston and Salt Lake hosts LA Galaxy.

Meanwhile, North of the Border, the Canadian Championship Final is set with Vancouver Whitecaps hosting CF Montreal.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

The Soccer Tournament is happening right now. Some of the big clubs have taken losses

I like that the teams aren't all wearing one kit in different colors. I think some of the entrants probably have rules against wearing anything other than their primary kit sponsors.  Como apparently sent a group of first team players. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37772376/nwsl-san-francisco-area-expansion-team-dubbed-bay-fc

No CyberRays coming to teh NWSL. At least it's better than "Bay FC." 

The club is being promoted as 9 counties, 8 bridges, 1 Bay. Might have been better to call them Bay Area United FC. 

• Like 1

Please tell me the gothic B is a placeholder. After the other California teams did fantastically in the design department, would be a step back to look like an off brand replacement of an East Coast baseball team.

EDIT - actually I realized it’s giving Boston Globe.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like that the teams aren't all wearing one kit in different colors. I think some of the entrants probably have rules against wearing anything other than their primary kit sponsors.  Como apparently sent a group of first team players. 

Most teams (20ish) are in Hummel, the teams that aren't are contractually obligated to wear Nike/Puma/Adidas etc.

22 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Saw it coming, but sheesh!

Yeah . . .  know most of the ladies haven't been on a roster in a few years but that's just going to give certain people more to crow about on Twitter. Because that's exactly what happened in discussions about the West Ham/Dallas United game. 

10 minutes ago, speedy said:

Most teams (20ish) are in Hummel, the teams that aren't are contractually obligated to wear Nike/Puma/Adidas etc.

Yep. I noticed that some teams in Hummel have goalkeepers wearing their own choice for uniforms as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yep. I noticed that some teams in Hummel have goalkeepers wearing their own choice for uniforms as well. 

That was more of a supply issue. There's only 4 GK kit colors, so if they clash or don't fit they're wearing their own.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37806740/concacaf-champions-league-renamed-winners-get-5m

Concacaf is changing the Champions League again, to include changing it's name back to the Concacaf Champions Cup. 

Concacaf had already announced a change in structure to the event, one that will see 27 teams across the region qualify for the tournament. The tournament will consist of five rounds, with 22 teams starting in the first round. Five teams -- the winners of MLS, Liga MX, the Leagues Cup, the Central American Cup and the Caribbean Cup -- will receive first round byes and begin play in the round of 16. The top clubs in North America will continue to have the opportunity to qualify through domestic leagues (Liga MX, MLS, Canadian Premier League) and cup competitions (US Open Cup, Canadian Championship).

As well as the winner of the Central American Cup, five additional teams will qualify via that tournament. In a similar fashion, two additional teams from the Caribbean Cup -- the runner up and third place finisher -- will qualify.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png