North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

LAFC and... checks notes.... FC Cincinnati are the lone remaining unbeaten clubs in MLS.  Cincinnati held on for a 1-0 victory over Philadelphia tonight. FCC plays at St Louis next week, possibly for the Supporters Shield lead. St Louis and Seattle are scoreless at the half. A loss or draw by St Louis gives Cincinnati, the supporters shield lead.

• Like 3

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

LAFC and... checks notes.... FC Cincinnati are the lone remaining unbeaten clubs in MLS.  Cincinnati held on for a 1-0 victory over Philadelphia tonight. FCC plays at St Louis next week, possibly for the Supporters Shield lead. St Louis and Seattle are scoreless at the half. A loss or draw by St Louis gives Cincinnati, the supporters shield lead.

The Nati are leading the Supporters Shield and have a win over Seattle. That's not bad.

Also not bad? Seattle whipping St Louis 3-0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Somehow missed this -- did this make the Apple TV whiparound show, I wonder -- but the Red Bulls' hot new designated player allegedly used a racial slur toward Ebobisse causing a 20-minute stoppage/fracas. And their manager didn't take him out of the game! 

Wish I could read the lips of his teammate/keeper here:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/new-york-red-bulls-blasted-for-handling-of-alleged-racial-slur-20230411-WST-427779.html

Also, if you're still fascinated by the Berhalter/Reyna drama... the inside story of Gregg basically getting snookered by a cult of weirdo vapid MBA types for "leadership" reasons except they couldn't run a tight ship and left him out to dry. Hilarious in a sad late-capitalism way. https://sports.yahoo.com/gregg-berhalter-leadership-summit-reynas-usmnt-120053261.html

• Like 1

Oop, one more. The OL Group is fully selling the NWSL Reign (please bring back the Seattle Reign branding yesterday, whomever buys them), and is also reportedly selling a majority stake of the Lyon women's team to Michele Kang who just bought the NWSL Washington Spirit.

Kind of a weird, minor-league-baseball style realigning of parent/farm clubs if all that goes through.

https://equalizersoccer.com/2023/04/12/ol-groupe-to-sell-reign-nwsl-michele-kang-washington-spirit-lyon-women-takeover/

• Like 1

I'm a few days late, but LAFC seems to be just as good as they were last season, maybe slightly better with Denis Bouanga playing out of his mind this season. Felt bad for Vancouver in the CCF match-up over the past week, they were completely outclassed and really had no answer for anything LAFC threw at them. 

Selfishly, I really wanted Atlas to beat Philly just so LAFC had an easier path to the CCF Final, but I'm happy that at least one MLS team is guaranteed to be in the Final. It's pretty cool that one of the two best MLS teams from last season will be playing for the title because that doesn't always happen in this competition. 

This weekend might see LAFC finally beat the Galaxy on the road, but knowing how El Trafico goes, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Galaxy beat LAFC. The stadium will probably be mostly LAFC fans too seeing as Galaxy SG's are boycotting games until their FO has new leadership.

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The stadium will probably be mostly LAFC fans too seeing as Galaxy SG's are boycotting games until their FO has new leadership.

I know Klein said he would step down if the Galaxy missed the playoffs, but I dont know if supporters are willing to wait that long. If there are more LAFC fans at the Sports Park than Galaxy fans, Klein should step down immediately, rather than wait until the end of the season. You never want more away fans at your stadium, especially when its your rival.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

23 hours ago, Digby said:

Somehow missed this -- did this make the Apple TV whiparound show, I wonder -- but the Red Bulls' hot new designated player allegedly used a racial slur toward Ebobisse causing a 20-minute stoppage/fracas. And their manager didn't take him out of the game! 

Wish I could read the lips of his teammate/keeper here:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/new-york-red-bulls-blasted-for-handling-of-alleged-racial-slur-20230411-WST-427779.html

And he's been suspended six games. What a joke.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/new-york-red-bulls-forward-dante-vanzeir-suspended-and-fined

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It really is. Zero tolerance isn't zero tolerance.

MLS gets the benefit of the doubt on social issues, but they've definitely had some glaring failures. This is one of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Digby said:

lol the NASCAR guy got a longer suspension for saying racist things. What incentive does MLS possibly have to not make an example of this dude? Shocking self-own here.

The only reason it should be this short is if the CBA put a cap on the length of a suspension. And then the players should say, "We're fine banning him for longer". 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only reason it should be this short is if the CBA put a cap on the length of a suspension. And then the players should say, "We're fine banning him for longer". 

More likely that the union will say "Ummm, it's bad but you didn't specifically negotiate in a nuclear-option-for-racists clause into the CBA, sooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Digby said:

More likely that the union will say "Ummm, it's bad but you didn't specifically negotiate in a nuclear-option-for-racists clause into the CBA, sooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Realizing that the guy who broke Steve Zakuani's leg got 10 games, it's not a CBA issue. Charlie Davies says he should have been done for the year, and I think that's appropriate for something like this.

• Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png