North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

Just now, GDAWG said:

Anyone think that the new New York City FC Stadium will host high school football?   Is it MetLife Stadium that hosts high school football games in the New York metro area?  

MetLife does, but only NJSIAA championships (they also play at Rutgers).

NYC used to hold their city title at Yankee Stadium but stopped during covid and played their last titles at Abraham Lincoln HS in Coney Island.

51228106603_e5d4338d2b_b.jpg

51228970830_400e35f5fe_b.jpg

51241358807_c9b911c01f_b.jpg

51243118685_75bd026772_b.jpg

During the presentation to Queens Community Board 7 unveiling the stadium renderings on Wednesday, a spokesperson for HOK, the architecture firm designing NYCFC’s stadium, outlined the four foundational questions that have guided the stadium’s design:

• What if a stadium reflects New York’s honesty and vibrancy?

• What if a stadium is the community’s gravitational center?

• What if a stadium can renew the heritage of the past?

• What if a stadium represents our values?

from the Outfield

Architect-speak might be worse than Nike-speak. I guess it reflects New York's honestly sanitizing any character it's ever had for generic silver boxy thing that could exist anywhere, but everything costs twice as much because New York. 

Also this: 'According to the term sheet, the team may play up to three home matches a year outside of the new stadium even after the stadium is fully operational. The reason? NYCFC’s ability to leverage a “significantly larger seating capacity”.' Why would you even say that??? Who's looking at these Citi Field games and saying, yeah, we're sure gonna miss this someday?

13 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I've seen many comments on facebook about NYCFC's new stadium with people saying the stadium is too small. I get that to an extent. But some people are legit saying they should have a 40-50K capacity stadium. It would be reasonable if they were saying 30K, but I don't understand justification of a club that averages under 20K at a 46K baseball stadium having a 40K soccer stadium.

Is it because it's New York City some people think they should have a big stadium just because?

Probably that, but it doesn't make any sense. The NYC market has two teams as it is and has never proven to be particularly special attendance-wise, so Building It And They Will Come will just be more of the same MLS entitlement nonsense that we should've moved past by now. I do think new stadiums should be built with ability to maybe expand down the road to 28-30k but that's it -- it makes a lot more sense to stay modest on capacity-wise, fill the building, charge more for tickets due to demand outpacing supply, etc.

By 2026, NFL stadiums at large will be more soccer-friendly as well, so those are always going to make more sense for the rare matches that need a capacity boost -- and those are going to be major international games or sucker-bait preseason Clasicos. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:08 AM, Digby said:

from the Outfield

Architect-speak might be worse than Nike-speak. I guess it reflects New York's honestly sanitizing any character it's ever had for generic silver boxy thing that could exist anywhere, but everything costs twice as much because New York. 

Also this: 'According to the term sheet, the team may play up to three home matches a year outside of the new stadium even after the stadium is fully operational. The reason? NYCFC’s ability to leverage a “significantly larger seating capacity”.' Why would you even say that??? Who's looking at these Citi Field games and saying, yeah, we're sure gonna miss this someday?

Sounds like a Montreal Alouettes situation. Small stadium creates scarcity and you could then leverage that scarcity into filling the larger Olympic Stadium from time to time. But without scarcity the average game loses all emphasis to get tickets in advance and you're more affected by day of game weather, etc. 

On 5/12/2023 at 7:08 AM, Digby said:

from the Outfield

13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Sounds like a Montreal Alouettes situation. Small stadium creates scarcity and you could then leverage that scarcity into filling the larger Olympic Stadium from time to time. But without scarcity the average game loses all emphasis to get tickets in advance and you're more affected by day of game weather, etc. 

I wonder if that's them playing at MetLife instead of Citi or Yankee Stadium? I could see that being in play during the European tour season in July. But playing at Yankee stadium because it has more seats, but absolute crap atmosphere in comparison, makes little sense. 

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Hopefully that investment includes a new stadium as well, even though they could operate at SnapDragon with no issues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

FC Cincinnati was given a gift by the soccer gods last Saturday during their bye as all the teams around them in the standings either lost or draw. Tonight they capitalized on that gift beating Montreal 3-0 and are now 7-0-0 at The Tickle to start the MLS season. With New England off tonight that now puts them atop the East and Supporters Shield standings as they head into Hell is Real on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Signature intentionally left blank

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if that's them playing at MetLife instead of Citi or Yankee Stadium? I could see that being in play during the European tour season in July. But playing at Yankee stadium because it has more seats, but absolute crap atmosphere in comparison, makes little sense.

Could definitely see them increasing demand so that a game at MetLife could work when they're playing Red Bulls, or if Messi is at Inter Miami and they're @ NYCFC, or LAFC comes to town, etc and they know they can expect much more than their small stadium can hold. The overflow demand from week to week might fill 80k once or twice a year. Get the league to plan the schedule right they might even bring in grass at MetLife for two games a few weeks apart in June.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:19 PM, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl/story/4848794/four-nwsl-coaches-get-lifetime-ban-after-sexual-harassment-investigation

NWSL has banned 4 coaches for life. They have a few more fires to put out, but this is a good start. It's similar to the passion for the game seen here - https://betpokies.com - I recommend giving it a try.

Wow... didn't know about that.
This is a really serious and important step from the league, because such antics have no place in today's world. It's good that these incidents got publicity

5 hours ago, battistadonati said:

Wow... didn't know about that.
This is a really serious and important step from the league, because such antics have no place in today's world. It's good that these incidents got publicity

Unfortunately, I think one other coach that was banned was already caught coaching a U15 girls team after the provisional ban. So the league and US Soccer need to follow up with the clubs below NWSL to make sure they aren't sneaking back into the system. It's good to see they are trying to place a separation between the men's and women's teams in terms of leadership and who reports to who. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnati was given a gift by the soccer gods last Saturday during their bye as all the teams around them in the standings either lost or draw. Tonight they capitalized on that gift beating Montreal 3-0 and are now 7-0-0 at The Tickle to start the MLS season. With New England off tonight that now puts them atop the East and Supporters Shield standings as they head into Hell is Real on Saturday.

Was that the easiest win in team history? Felt like a walk in the park and could've easily had two or three more goals. 

Winning is fun. I hope to do it again Saturday!

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Sport said:

Was that the easiest win in team history? Felt like a walk in the park and could've easily had two or three more goals. 

Winning is fun. I hope to do it again Saturday!

I'm hoping for the a yellow and black Saturday myself. 

• Hurl 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I am surprised this came together so quickly with the stadium situation, but I suspect they must have got a very sweet lease deal to meet MLS's real-estate demands.

I am not surprised that they're gonna go with "FC San Diego". This league has all the character of a stale cracker.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

I'm curious to see how they are going add a roof/canopy to Snapdragon. I'm guessing those extra beams along the upper deck between the lights were built for the eventual addition of a roof? Then the lights get built into the roof/canopy? 

San Antonio FC v Sunderland AFC in San Antonio at Toyota Field

Is it similar to what Toyota Field have? Those silver posts were included for when the team was trying to get into MLS, so that they could quickly emplace the required seats to keep the stadium up to MLS requirements. By having them there now they could cut down the amount of time required to retrofit the stands. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

San Antonio FC v Sunderland AFC in San Antonio at Toyota Field

Is it similar to what Toyota Field have? Those silver posts were included for when the team was trying to get into MLS, so that they could quickly emplace the required seats to keep the stadium up to MLS requirements. By having them there now they could cut down the amount of time required to retrofit the stands. 

Yeah, these black posts 

snapdragon.jpeg.webp?itok=cNoBuLo4

1172623-sd-snapdragon-002.jpg

• Like 1

Cincinnati takes part 1 of Hell Is Real 3-2 over Columbus. The Crew looked like the better team but mistakes led to the goals for Cincinnati. FCC now has a 5 point lead for first in the East and remains atop the Supporters Shield.  FCC is still unbeaten at home

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank