North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

How does the Loyal do attendance-wise? My understanding is that they do fine for USL standards but not shockingly well the way Cincy and Minnesota did when they were in the lower leagues. But I don't follow them well and don't know San Diego well enough to understand the stadium factors and such.

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

How does the Loyal do attendance-wise? My understanding is that they do fine for USL standards but not shockingly well the way Cincy and Minnesota did when they were in the lower leagues. But I don't follow them well and don't know San Diego well enough to understand the stadium factors and such.

According to this website, they averaged 4,519 per game in 2022. They play at University of San Diego's on campus 6,000 seat football/soccer stadium. 

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

According to this website, they averaged 4,519 per game in 2022. They play at University of San Diego's on campus 6,000 seat football/soccer stadium. 

I knew they didn't play at Snapdragon so that's about what I guessed. So that's what, half of what the NWSL team gets? Landon's no Alex Morgan, I guess. I'm sympathetic to the Loyal loyal in this case, but can also see why the empty-heart MLS business degree drones don't care.

Yeah, somewhere along the way we switched from "every stadium must look like RBA" to this boxy thing. Kinda boring but fits in with the general MLS approach to branding. Still no one's beat that weird old Portland stadium.

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, somewhere along the way we switched from "every stadium must look like RBA" to this boxy thing. Kinda boring but fits in with the general MLS approach to branding. Still no one's beat that weird old Portland stadium.

One thing I've noticed and enjoyed about watching MLS on Apple TV+ is that I'm getting more exposure to the various stadiums across the league, and you can really see the evolution of soccer-specific stadium architecture on display. 

It doesn't seem that long ago that the stadiums in L.A., New Jersey, Philly, Dallas, Salt Lake and Denver stood out as symbols of the MLS' evolution from questionable fringe sport to a stable and growing league. But now when you look at those venues, on TV anyway, they seem like they'd fit better in USL, especially when compared to the flying saucer-like designs in Minneapolis and Philly or the more museum-like designs in St. Louis and what NYCFC is pursuing. 

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

Stadiums in Europe are starting to do the same thing as well, copying the exterior look of one stadium to some degree. They are all starting to look like Allianz Arena when getting upgrades. Even the sketches of a New Trafford looks like it. Building around the available space, is why you end up with some unique older stadiums, and you really see that in baseball. But with teams needing to meet minimum pitch requirements to host Champions League and the Euros, I'm not surprised to see most of them starting to look so similar from afar. With a need to keep fans safe from the elements, that plays a part in the design too.  Otherwise we'd still have stadium like Historic Crew Stadium that provide zero cover for fans when we get some torrential downpours during the summer. 

Chelsea are given the green light to restart their £1bn Stamford Bridge  redevelopment | Daily Mail Online

Future Old Trafford Stadium - Expand, Upgrade or Rebuild? - YouTube

UEFA blocks Germany from illuminating Allianz Arena with rainbow lighting  for Hungary Euro 2020 clash | Goal.com

New Stadiums Opening in 2023 - YouTube

New Stadiums Opening in 2023 - YouTube

• Sad 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

One thing I've noticed and enjoyed about watching MLS on Apple TV+ is that I'm getting more exposure to the various stadiums across the league, and you can really see the evolution of soccer-specific stadium architecture on display. 

It doesn't seem that long ago that the stadiums in L.A., New Jersey, Philly, Dallas, Salt Lake and Denver stood out as symbols of the MLS' evolution from questionable fringe sport to a stable and growing league. But now when you look at those venues, on TV anyway, they seem like they'd fit better in USL, especially when compared to the flying saucer-like designs in Minneapolis and Philly or the more museum-like designs in St. Louis and what NYCFC is pursuing. 

That's definitely true. But to me it also feels like most stadiums fit into one of, like, five archetypes, your new SSS, your original low-budget SSS, the converted NFL stadium etc. Like it's a video game where most teams don't have their stadium in-game. Kinda reminds me of watching 90s SportsCenter baseball highlights and not being able to tell, at a glance, which of the donut-shaped astroturf multi-purpose venues I was looking at. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Nice renderings. Will they have space for their 2021 MLS Championship banner?

They just need to make sure they don't accidently hand it out during beach towel night. 

• LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've seen many comments on facebook about NYCFC's new stadium with people saying the stadium is too small. I get that to an extent. But some people are legit saying they should have a 40-50K capacity stadium. It would be reasonable if they were saying 30K, but I don't understand justification of a club that averages under 20K at a 46K baseball stadium having a 40K soccer stadium.

Is it because it's New York City some people think they should have a big stadium just because?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

And what's the fascination some people have with many of the stadiums looking similar to each other? So what!  When I tune in to TV to watch an MLS match I'm not looking at the 🤬ing architecture of the stadium around the field of play. 

13 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

And what's the fascination some people have with many of the stadiums looking similar to each other? So what!  When I tune in to TV to watch an MLS match I'm not looking at the 🤬ing architecture of the stadium around the field of play. 

I think it's interesting. The new stadiums are like a million miles away from the early SSS like Columbus, Dallas and Chicago. That they all are evolving in kind of the same way -- but still really nice -- is remarkable, so we're remarking on it.

25k seems like the sweet spot for a SSS to me. Especially in a place like New York that can rent MetLife if they ever need a much larger crowd.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

23 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Isn't that what we do here man

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Isn't that what we do here man

I'm going to be honest, I see more complaints about newer stadiums looking the same outside this forum than in it 🤷🏾‍♂️

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm going to be honest, I see more complaints about newer stadiums looking the same outside this forum than in it 🤷🏾‍♂️

It isn't really that 'they're all the same' it's that when one new popular idea comes up everyone wants to mimic it until the next new fad.

MLS 2.0 level stadiums like HDC, DSGP, Toyota Stadium, Rio Tinto, etc were simple bowls with one large concourse at the top of the seating (mostly) that may or may not have some type of roof or awning structure. Mostly for aesthetics than functional.

MLS 3.0 saw the newer SSS that tended to fully enclosed, rounded corners/roof/etc like KC up through Minnesota. Even Orlando was fully surrounding the field, doubledeck, etc.  They looked 'major league' even if they seemed smaller.

This newest level of MLS stadium went block with major roof features that cover the stands and contain the environment. Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, this new venue.

It's the fad.

• Like 2