Seattle Totems/Thunderbirds Concept (Alternate and RR added)

B-mer

I've been mulling this over for a long time. I really love Pacific NW Native American art and logos that incorporate it into the design, some better than others of course. I saw this concept for the Washington Football team by Justin Wilkinson which left a lasting idea in my head when it came to Seattle getting an NHL team. 

spacer.png

I've played with the concept of that and tried to differentiate it with more elements of that art style, but i'm having a hard time finding the balance of not over-complicating it and getting the right shapes to have it be a sports logo, but also not the Seahawks. I've gone through many beak and accent shapes, tried getting an S in the trunk design. So, any ideas for that i'd love, this is not a finished work. I chose the color palette that most of that art is done in - Black, Red, Turquoise, and White. For the uniform, one thing i really like from the Kraken is the dark band with the thin red line, so i used that for my approach with the turquoise to not overpower the jersey. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Applause 3

20 hours ago, eegl75 said:

one worry is that it looks a little too much like the blackhawks or devils. especially the home. maybe just change the red to a different color

I didn't really think that at all, but can see where you'd say that. I'm sticking with the colors so maybe i'll think of a new jersey design.

Spent some more time on the logo. I'm much happier with this, even though i based it more on the Seahawks logo, i tried to make enough changes to differentiate it. But then again maybe i like it because i like the Seahawk logo so much....

spacer.png

I'm wondering if a thin turquoise stroke around it would help add a little more of that color and make it stand out, particularly on the white backdrop.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, B-mer said:

Bringing it all together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great work all around, but this one is definitely the best IMO. Perfect balance of the colors. I like seeing the process of how you arrived at this iteration... I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. Well done!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahnkej said:

Great work all around, but this one is definitely the best IMO. Perfect balance of the colors. I like seeing the process of how you arrived at this iteration... I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. Well done!

Thank you. I struggled going the route I ended up with because I wanted to keep from getting too similar to the Seahawks. I tried other options but hot walls. So went back to that style and made it work I think. 

• Like 1

Personally, I enjoy it when cities house sports teams that have a motif or throughline so this is cool to see.

The first logo was a good jumping-off point for what became a great logo, the revisions/ updates you made were perfect. Even though this is quite similar to the Seahawks I think it is still unique and honestly looks more at home in the NHL than the Kraken, in my opinion at least.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 12:53 PM, B-mer said:

Just wanted to kick this idea around. Gave them ye olde extra stripes for a vintagey look. Too much?

spacer.png

The more I look at this, the more I wish the Portland Winterhawks had gone with a sweater design like this to go with the new Hawk logo. Beautifully done work!

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg