2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

7 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

what crap was there besides the sleeved jerseys maybe?

i haven’t even mentioned Nike forcing teams like the lakers, warriors and pacers to coincidentally all switch from gold to banana yellow. I guarantee if someone else takes back the rights from nike, these teams will all coincidentally switch back to gold.

I'm not convinced that Adidas wouldn't have pushed jersey design in the same direction Nike has. They pushed it, not just with sleeve design, The precursor to the City Editions were the Pride Jerseys. The NBA has been pushing the direction of jersey design here more than any manufacturer ...

4927145?width=600&height=600&cropmode=Fida91adb32fe0bcbadf6e8e714b7e4488_crop_no9681490-josh-mcroberts-justise-winslow-jUgly-nba-f.png

• Like 3
  • Hurl 3
  • Eyeroll 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

13 hours ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

You named, at least for me, two of the worst warriors jerseys of the recent years, even uglier then the last statement. The hollywood nights lakers jersey, seriously? talking about a black lakers jersey, i think there's no debate who did it better. And this trash christmas jerseys... don't you all complain about how little it is to wait for a jersey wich last one year and then it goeas away? for sure 10 christmas jersey every year are different from 30 different jersey, but still i think it's pretty much the same problem. For sure nike threw out some garbage, the problem is that lot of people liked that garbage, like the heat """mixtape""" jersey.  I think the city program could be simply reimagined, not anymore one every year. And teams who have something that has alwys been honored should stick with that, for example the St.Patrick theme for the celtics. Something like in 10 years you honor the same thing with  3 different designs for example. wouldn't be that bad and would be for other team, a chance to do something different from the main brand, which is still linked to it.  By the way, for me Adidas did way more garbage then nike.

i’m sorry bro but you’re just wrong on the warriors. Those jerseys are legendary lore status because of how great they performed over those 3 seasons (2014-2017) and because of what Curry did to OKC in them. there’s no way you can be a warrior fan and not like those. If you do then you are def in the minority. Agree to disagree on this.

i agree the black mamba jerseys are one of the best jerseys ever but that’s because nike let Kobe design them, instead of their own incompetent designers. Hollywood nights is still better than all 6 other lakers city jerseys we’ve seen 

But i do agree with your point that city jerseys shouldn’t be made every year.

• Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

what crap was there besides the sleeved jerseys maybe?

i haven’t even mentioned Nike forcing teams like the lakers, warriors and pacers to coincidentally all switch from gold to banana yellow. I guarantee if someone else takes back the rights from nike, these teams will all coincidentally switch back to gold.

beside the sleeved jersey, the design they had... the spurs camo jersey, the wizards red jersey,the utah jazz horizontal jersey, plus allt he grey sleeved jersey, who just had some casual totally unnecessary elements. Beside that the magic "stars" jersey jersey, the thunder alternate, the balzers alternate, talking about "weird trims", the white tie and hoops for troops heat jersey, the pistons grey jersey. 

11 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

This is cherry-picking. Most of the sleeved jerseys were clownsuits, and a lot of what people complain about with City Editions applied just as much to them.

orddAPO.jpg

3LwHc3V.jpg

yX3zEAz.jpg

SCpwu6E.jpg

I don’t see anything clownish about any of these except for the gold Warriors jersey. And even that one recently sold for 800 on ebay.

• Huh? 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

i’m sorry bro but you’re just wrong on the warriors jerseys. Those jerseys are legendary lore status because of how great they performed over those 3 seasons (2014-2017) and because of what Curry did to OKC in them, like there’s no way you can be a warrior fan and not like those. If you do then you are def in the minority. Agree to disagree on this.

i agree the black mamba jerseys are one of the best jerseys ever but that’s because nike let Kobe design them, instead of their own incompetent designers. Hollywood nights is still better than the 6 other lakers city jerseys we’ve seen (and def the 2 jerseys that weren’t designed by a former Lakers player)

i don’t think christmas jerseys are the same as city jerseys. Christmas jerseys actually had some inspiration (holidays, cream color) and the teams followed the same format so there wasn’t anything wild or ugly like Heat culture. For the most part christmas jerseys were equivalent to Earned jerseys in that they were just alternates with different color blocking, e.g. the 2012 big color jerseys.

But i do agree with your point that city jerseys shouldn’t be made every year.

Well ok we agree to disagree on the warriors jersey, but still for the same reason of the slate jersey for the warriors, i won't agree on the cavs big C jersey, still by design could have been way better, even without sleeve, would be a bed jersey probably, but the cavs are a bad take if you want to give credit to nike... about the lakers, i don't know, for me the shaq jersey, and the MagicJohnson jersey weren0t that bad, the others are just basic jerseys, and the last one is just ugly. 

Yes the city jerseys absolutely shouldn't be made every year, and should not change theme, look at the Jazz, 6 seasons, one nice jersey the dark mode, and a hell of a jersey, the gradient one.  

3 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

I don’t see anything clownish about any of these except for the gold Warriors jersey. And even that one recently sold for 800 on ebay.

People buying it and how much they spent is not a point, as i said, people like garbage very often, and beside that, as you said it's because of what that jersey means for a fan. That doesn't make the design suddenly good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

beside the sleeved jersey, the design they had... the spurs camo jersey, the wizards red jersey,the utah jazz horizontal jersey, plus allt he grey sleeved jersey, who just had some casual totally unnecessary elements. Beside that the magic "stars" jersey jersey, the thunder alternate, the balzers alternate, talking about "weird trims", the white tie and hoops for troops heat jersey, the pistons grey jersey. 

What was bad about the designs? At least teams managed to keep their identity. Spurs had camo jerseys with nike too, ditto with Pistons grey. Wizards was a fauxback. I didn’t hate any of these except for the grey ones.

11 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm not convinced that Adidas wouldn't have pushed jersey design in the same direction Nike has. They pushed it, not just with sleeve design, The precursor to the City Editions were the Pride Jerseys. The NBA has been pushing the direction of jersey design here more than any manufacturer ...

4927145?width=600&height=600&cropmode=Fida91adb32fe0bcbadf6e8e714b7e4488_crop_no9681490-josh-mcroberts-justise-winslow-jUgly-nba-f.png

Last pic wasn’t a Pride and they kept that design up to 2020. Teams weren’t forced to make pride jerseys every season and they didn’t lose their identity by not using their regular colors (unless camo/military colors for Spurs and Heat or green for Knicks and Bulls St Patty's). At least Houston didn’t make those blue for example.

15 minutes ago, kimball said:

i have to admit, the hawks playng in different color was s interesting for me ahahah i remember i would have loved to have the opportunity to do that in 2k with every team like madden. That make me think, in Football jersey history, it was used and appreciated the idea of different uniform elements to combine, wasn't it ?  why not in basketball?

6 hours ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

People buying it and how much they spent is not a point, as i said, people like garbage very often, and beside that, as you said it's because of what that jersey means for a fan. That doesn't make the design suddenly good. 

Sure but price also reflects demand. That particular jersey wasn’t even special,  Steph never had any amazing moments in those. Worst case, give me that uniform over the flower, curvy San Francisco and UMich statement. They used the right colors at least

29 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

Sure but the the price also reflects the demand. That particular jersey wasn’t even special, there’s no “meaning for fan” as Steph never had any amazing moments in those unlike the slate jerseys. Worst case, give me that uniform over the flower, curvy San Francisco and UMich statement. They use the right colors at least

oh wait, my bad thought you were talking about the slate jersey.

40 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

Sure but price also reflects demand. That particular jersey wasn’t even special,  Steph never had any amazing moments in those. Worst case, give me that uniform over the flower, curvy San Francisco and UMich statement. They used the right colors at least

this i agree with. shaq and magic were nice, some didn't like the pinstripes but at least that showed effort (if you look closely the pinstripes actually said "3x5xShowtime") and both used purple and yellow unlike the past 2 citys. i wonder why they stopped doing lore series though

help me remember the lore series was stopped with the mixtape edition right? before that there was the Baylor's one right?

Talking about the colors, yes but no, i mean they used historic colors. especially the mixtape one, it well resemble what an ideal city jersey could be, using a color out from the main brand, took maybe from the past, with one or more current color.  i was just doing some research and, still i think it's a nice jersey, but it doesn't really fit the elgin baylor's era colors,  blue was effectively the main color over the baby blue.

20 minutes ago, McCall said:

Yeah, all those jerseys posted were complete and utter garbage. Sleeves do not belong on basketball jerseys and none of these jerseys, sleeve or otherwise, are "iconic".

all i know is most Cavs and Warriors fans would disagree with you🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, MauriceMorris13 said:

help me remember the lore series was stopped with the mixtape edition right? before that there was the Baylor's one right?

Talking about the colors, yes but no, i mean they used historic colors. especially the mixtape one, it well resemble what an ideal city jersey could be, using a color out from the main brand, took maybe from the past, with one or more current color.  The Baylor's one would have been awesome with yellow accents.

Yep Baylor was the last lore series. Mixtape's biggest problem was they took out their main color for no reason. Add yellow, that would have been fire. Or gold, even better

15 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

The Nike deal was signed in June '15 and was an 8 year deal. If it wasn't renewed, it's already expired.

Considering all the jerseys at media day were Nike, I'm guessing it was quietly renewed.

are you sure? maybe it was signed in june 15 for a certain number of season like 8 season

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As always, the real problem is the lack of competition.

Puma maybe?

27 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

The Nike deal was signed in June '15 and was an 8 year deal. If it wasn't renewed, it's already expired.

They signed in 2015, but deal starts in 2017 so 24/25 is the last season (at least for now).

Back to topic, adidas had their own flaws. First of all it was a pure chaos with names. Ok, you' ve got Pride, Noche Latina, but you've also got some random things like Legacy Heat, Stars and Stripes Magic etc. Now all unis are categorizes so you know what jersey is what.

What about sleeves jerseys, they had a problem that many of them starts as a sleeveless shirts but adidas add sleeves to them for no reason. Also poor designs like Cavs big C didn't help either.

Concept wasn't that bad, but execution was poor.

• Like 3

4r2eer.png