2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

I don't love that Pistons Statement, but the only thing that's particularly egregious about it is that it's BFBS. The font is just a standard athletic block, not something completely out of left field, and it has their iconic two-toned stripe, just applied a different way.

To me, the main problem with the Statement Edition is that most of the league just treats it as an excuse to go BFBS.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Cavs city edition unveiled at a season ticket holder event tonight. It’s a collab with the Playhouse Square theater district down the street from the arena.

Yeaahh when you have to resort to staggering jersey numbers you know you done ran out of ideas. Perhaps it's time to shelve the whole city thing for a season or few...

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

13 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Cavs city edition unveiled at a season ticket holder event tonight. It’s a collab with the Playhouse Square theater district down the street from the arena.

Mostly safe as they use team colors here and it isn't an outlandish design. Interested in seeing higher quality photos of that trim. When I first saw it, my assumption was that it was some Slovenian pattern since there is a large population in Cleveland.

Imagining the reactions if they did some sort of chandelier look.

cleveland-playhouse-square-chandeleir-fr

6 minutes ago, SantosD_ said:

Imagem

Celtics city edition (via: Twitter/X)

Was just about to post it! A tribute to basketball and James Naismith. I am looking forward to seeing more of this. The sidepanels looks like old basketball court floor, yeah?

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

19 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Love it!!!

Yall have boomer vibes in here, you guys literally hate everything 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

24 minutes ago, Tore said:

Was just about to post it! A tribute to basketball and James Naismith. I am looking forward to seeing more of this. The sidepanels looks like old basketball court floor, yeah?

Is it James Naismith or a tribute to the Boston Garden? 

• Like 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 minutes ago, kimball said:

Is it James Naismith or a tribute to the Boston Garden? 

The jocktag says Springfield Mass 1891 so its for all of basketball. 

• Like 1

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

14 hours ago, tBBP said:

Yeaahh when you have to resort to staggering jersey numbers you know you done ran out of ideas. Perhaps it's time to shelve the whole city thing for a season or few...

In a vacuum I don't HATE the jersey (mainly because they're in team colors), but they need to tweak the jersey program. 

I don't necessarily mind the Association, Icon, Statement, City, Classic, Earned, etc. names. But, the NBA and Nike need to lean more on history and tradition. Meaning ... no gold/green matchups of the Celtics and Lakers in the Garden, no road teams in white jerseys (it should be either home team in white and road team in a colored jersey or color vs. color) and during the playoffs limit the jerseys to Association, Icon and Statement (no throwbacks, city or earned).

But, I think the rotation rules need to be changed a bit as mentioned above.

• ASSOCIATION: Can (not should, take note of that Nike) be changed every 5 years. Only worn at home (with very rare exceptions). 
  • ICON: Can (not should, take note of that Nike) be changed every 5 years.
  • STATEMENT: Can (not should, take note of that Nike) be changed every 5 years. This used to be three, but it really should be on the same rotation basis as the Association and Icon editions. Statement editions should also fall in line with official team colors, fonts and imagery (meaning no more Lakers in purple/black, Pistons with their current edition or city nicknames (those should be for city editions only).
  • CITY: Are changed every 3 years. I think the MLB model here would be great to follow, every year 10 teams get new City Editions. I think slowing the rotation down to every three years will help designers stop reaching for designs, tie-ins to the city or area, and everything we complain about here on the boards. I would argue that colors SHOULD be team colors or at least have some kind of tie-in, but Utah's red rock sunset jerseys were wildly popular (at least here). But, keep the city nickname, airport code jerseys and tribute stuff to just these jerseys. They should be special, but are they really special when they're changed almost every year?
  • CLASSIC: I believe the current rule is any anniversary ending with 0 or 5 is eligible for a Classic Edition jersey? Which I have no problem with. I just hate turning into a game with teams wearing throwbacks against current jersey designs, especially on the road. These should be limited to home games more often than not (which I think most are?). I would also love to see the NBA/Nike adopt baseball's throwback practice of dressing up the other team in that era's throwback as well. That'd be fun to see the Lakers in '60s throwbacks against the Knicks, Bulls, Celtics, 76ers, etc. in similar era jerseys, even for one night. Nike could even play around with fauxbacks with the Hornets, Magic, Heat, T'Wolves, Raptors and Grizzlies for '70s or '60s games. 
  • EARNED: If the NBA slowed the City Edition release every three years, this could become a yearly thing for the previous season's 16 playoff teams. I think you could have some fun with these jerseys. You could either do recolorings of the Icon and Statement Jerseys (like seasons past), do a Reverse Retro-like treatment on throwback jerseys or something uniform among all 16 teams. You could even rotate the themed yearly. I think the NBA Champion should have an Earned Champion jersey that is either trimmed in gold or displays an O'Brien Trophy on the jersey (maybe even stars for the times won?). 
  • CHRISTMAS: I just want the return of the Christmas jerseys. One off jerseys for the 8-10 teams playing on Christmas is fun and it should be special. Make them special either with the Christmas font like Adidas did or some kind of uniform quirk. I'd love to see an emphasis on MLK Jr. Day and St. Patrick's Day as well. 

Anyways, TL; DR ... The NBA needs to slow their roll on the City jerseys, use more team colors and branding and put more detail and purpose into when jerseys are worn.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

23 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

I like it, it really look like a theater interior. That font is pretty similar to last season Hawks

4 hours ago, SantosD_ said:

Imagem

Celtics city edition (via: Twitter/X)

Woah, lovely one!

2 hours ago, SantosD_ said:

F8vil0uWUAAGN1G?format=jpg&name=4096x409

despite the weird drop shadow I really liked it

Should we use this to watch it?

pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-line-game-3-

Wordmark is weird but jersey is nice.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5