Spenny's MLB Expansion Concepts

SpenserRM

So... I got pretty bored a while back and decided to make some MLB Expansion team stuff, starting with Omaha, Nebraska. It took me a while to come up with a name for the team but I eventually settled on the Pronghorns.

spacer.png

The Pronghorn is found exclusively in North America, mostly in the upper plains. Presently, there are roughly 6,000 pronghorn in the state of Nebraska.1 While not the official state mammal in Nebraska, it is a prominent figure historically. Lewis and Clark first encountered pronghorns in present-day Nebraska, remarking "Of all the animals we have seen the [Pronghorn] seems to possess the most wonderful fleetness. Shy and timorous they generally repose only on the ridges, which command a view of all the approaches of an enemy..."2 It is also the fastest land animal in the Western Hemisphere, capable of speeds exceeding 55mph. 

The Team:

The primary logo is, of course, a stylized Pronghorn in three colors. The brown and cream come from the Pronghorn itself, and the red is an alteration of the Nebraska Cornhuskers red. On the right sleeve of each jersey is a simplified Nebraska, with a star overlaid to represent the city of Omaha. On the left sleeve is the Pronghorn. The cap logo varies by uniform. Each uniform is solid, with striping on the sleeves and collar in alternate colors. 

Primary Home - The 'Horns: I opted to use cream rather than white for the base to lean more into the natural color of a Pronghorn. I decided to use the nickname 'Horns in brown lettering in place of Pronghorns on these jerseys because it just looked right. The player number is in red on the front, located below and on the left lower abdomen. The cap logo for the home jersey is a stylized 'O' with the silhouetted pronghorns protruding from each side.  I opted for a brown cap with red bill because I'm a sucker for two toned caps. The batting helmet follows the same design. 

spacer.png

Primary Away - Omaha: The standard road jerseys for Omaha are a basic grey, with Omaha on the chest. With the exception of the sleeve Nebraska logo and rear nameplate colors being altered, they are the same as the home jerseys. The cap is also the same, but the batting helmet is all brown, rather than having a red brim. 

spacer.png

City Connect - Omaha: I'm not super familiar with the city of Omaha or it's history, so I went with something simple. As opposed to the standard Omaha lettering, the chest wordmark is taken instead from the Omaha World-Herald. The Omaha World-Herald is the oldest newspaper in the state, founded in 1885. It was also the last newspaper in the world to print separate morning and evening editions.3 The cap logo for this has also been changed to the Old English O to match the Omaha wordmark.  

spacer.png

Sunday Home - Omaha Pronghorns: As with most MLB teams, the 'Horns would have a separate uniform for Sunday home games using a red jersey as an homage to Nebraskans. The cap would use the simplified Nebraska logo with a brown cap and red brim. Rather than a script or wordmark on the chest, it is split. The right chest has the player's number while the left has an alternate logo of the home and away cap logo, an OP with the silhouetted horns protruding from the O. 

spacer.png

Alternate Away - Script Pronghorns: The alternate road uniforms again use the alternate OP logo from before, on the cap this time. Rather than have another jersey that just says Omaha, I opted to use a cursive script for this one. I also decided to use the full Pronghorns name on this one, making it unique. 

spacer.png

Sources

1. https://biggameconservationassociation.com/big-game-species/pronghorn-antelope/#:~:text=By 1974 there were about,is estimated at about 6%2C000.

2. Guthrie, W.; Ferguson, J. (1815). A New Geographical, Historical, and Commercial Grammar and Present State of the Several Kingdoms of the World. Vol. 2. Philadelphia, USA: Johnson & Warner. p. 308.

3. Jordon, Steve. "On the day of our last afternoon edition, we recall the glory days of the decades-ago 'green sheet,' or Wall Street Edition". Omaha.com. Retrieved 2021-06-12.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

spacer.png

LOVE IT! Great wordmarks, logos and use of color. I’d never heard the term “pronghorns” before now but it has a cool, old timey baseball sound to it. 

The only thing I’m not big on is the state outline cap. I think from a distance it would just look like a red blob. 

Can’t wait to see what other teams you have in store!

Uniforms are great, no real complaints there. I really love the cap logo. My one critique is concerning the pronghorn logo. It’s a little too illustrative for a sports logo. It’s more reminiscent of a Dept of Natural Resources logo. I think trying for something more stylized like the Milwaukee Bucks or this Fairfield Stags might be more appropriate 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Having a hard time coming up with a name for my San Antonio team. Missions is the obvious choice but every San Antonio MLB expansion I see ends up using the Missions name. I’m leaning towards Vaqueros but I’m not sure if that would be insensitive or not. Then of course there’s always the Armadillos or Coyotes. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, SpenserRM said:

Having a hard time coming up with a name for my San Antonio team. Missions is the obvious choice but every San Antonio MLB expansion I see ends up using the Missions name. I’m leaning towards Vaqueros but I’m not sure if that would be insensitive or not. Then of course there’s always the Armadillos or Coyotes. 

If you don't mind i could you give a list of possible domestic/international expansion cities (and you just have to pick out team names). As for San Antonio, I think Armadillos could definitely work. 

QNXVyki.png

23 hours ago, SpenserRM said:

18 hours ago, mahnkej said:

What about the San Antonio Monarchs? There's this massive migration of monarch butterflies every year near there, which is pretty famous evidently. It would also be a nod to the the Kansas City Monarchs, who were a famous team from the Negro Leagues.

I really like the way “San Antonio Monarchs” sounds. “Armadillos” makes sense but the full name would probably be too much of a mouthful. 

• Like 1

Could "San Antonio Sentries" work?  Not only would the overall name be alliterative and fairly easy to say, but "Sentries" (plural of "Sentry") might be a fitting tribute to the Texian soldiers who tried to guard the Alamo against Mexican forces in 1836.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, mahnkej said:

What about the San Antonio Monarchs? There's this massive migration of monarch butterflies every year near there, which is pretty famous evidently. It would also be a nod to the the Kansas City Monarchs, who were a famous team from the Negro Leagues.

Yep and also Texas being a former colony of Spain could justify the Monarchs name

41 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

I guess I can list out all of the ideas for MLB expansion cities domestic and international right here.

DOMESTIC CITIES

• Albuquerque
  • Anchorage
  • Austin
  • Birmingham
  • Boise
  • Brooklyn
  • Charleston (SC)
  • Charlotte
  • Colorado Springs
  • Columbus
  • Des Moines
  • El Paso
  • Fargo
  • Fort Wayne
  • Fort Worth
  • Hartford
  • Honolulu
  • Indianapolis
  • Jackson
  • Jacksonville
  • Louisville
  • Manhattan
  • Memphis
  • Montgomery
  • Nashville
  • New Jersey
  • New Orleans
  • Norfolk
  • Oakland
  • Oklahoma City
  • Omaha Pronghorns
  • Orlando
  • Portland
  • Raleigh
  • Reno
  • Richmond
  • Sacramento
  • Salt Lake
  • San Antonio Monarchs
  • San Bernardino
  • San Jose
  • St. Paul
  • Tulsa
  • Virginia Beach
  • Wichita

INTERNATIONAL CITIES

• Abu Dhabi
  • Athens
  • Auckland
  • Baghdad
  • Beijing
  • Berlin
  • Buenos Aires
  • Cairo
  • Calgary
  • Delhi
  • Dublin
  • Edmonton
  • Kyiv
  • London
  • Mexico City
  • Monterrey
  • Montreal?
  • Moscow
  • Paris
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Riyadh
  • Rome
  • Quebec City
  • San Juan
  • Sydney
  • Tokyo
  • Winnipeg

I'm not *that* ambitious... 

• LOL 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, maxwasson said:

I guess I can list out all of the ideas for MLB expansion cities domestic and international right here.

stop. please stop. you do this backseat Ideas Guy shtick on every single new expansion/relocation-related concept thread. it pisses people off. you want those concepts done? go commission someone to do them for you.

as for the concept itself, I'm a big fan of what seems to be the black-dominant-with-fiesta-accents color scheme. personally, I think Vaqueros would be a really good team name for either San Antonio or Houston (or a minor-league city like El Paso), but Monarchs works well in this instance too.

• Like 7

53Ocz8U.png

8 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

stop. please stop. you do this backseat Ideas Guy shtick on every single new expansion/relocation-related concept thread. it pisses people off. you want those concepts done? go commission someone to do them for you.

as for the concept itself, I'm a big fan of what seems to be the black-dominant-with-fiesta-accents color scheme. personally, I think Vaqueros would be a really good team name for either San Antonio or Houston (or a minor-league city like El Paso), but Monarchs works well in this instance too.

I love the colors that the Spurs use so I tried to emulate it in some way (while also trying to not look like the White Sox). San Antonio is such an underrated city. I’ve spent a lot of time there since I have family down there and I love it every time I go. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

And now for the San Antonio Monarchs...

The main logo posted above features the cap logo inside of the shape (idk what it's called) that is used by the City of San Antonio, which is inspired by the Spanish. 

The cap logo and jersey script are inspired (the cap is just a replica plus a crown) of the 1950-60s San Antonio Missions. The secondary logo on the sleeve is a stylized Monarch that I drew with a baseball bat for a thorax and a crown on its head. 

spacer.png

The road uniforms feature the colors of Fiesta, an annual festival in San Antonio to celebrate the Tejano and Hispanic heritage of the region. The block San Antonio is inspired by the original San Antonio baseball teams of the late 19th century. 

spacer.png

The alternate road uniforms feature a black jersey with a script San Antonio and fiesta color gradient outline. The cap uses the script M from the Monarchs wordmark, also with the fiesta colors. 

FvE5bx6WIAMlh0P?format=jpg&name=large

The city connect leans even further into the Fiesta colors and symbolism. The fonts used are inspired by the various fonts used for Fiesta graphics, in fiesta colors. It also uses the Spanish name, Monarcas, rather than Monarchs. The primary logo in this case is the Monarch. 

FvE5bx4X0AMnBBM?format=jpg&name=large

The Heritage uniforms are replicas of the 1939 San Antonio Missions uniforms, the Texas League affiliate of the St. Louis Browns. 

FvE5bx5XsAEvFrY?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

spacer.png