Spenny's MLB Expansion Concepts

SpenserRM

19 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

stop. please stop. you do this backseat Ideas Guy shtick on every single new expansion/relocation-related concept thread. it pisses people off. you want those concepts done? go commission someone to do them for you.

as for the concept itself, I'm a big fan of what seems to be the black-dominant-with-fiesta-accents color scheme. personally, I think Vaqueros would be a really good team name for either San Antonio or Houston (or a minor-league city like El Paso), but Monarchs works well in this instance too.

Jimmy’s Right man. I used to be that guy. I was young and stupid. 

23 hours ago, maxwasson said:

[MESSAGE REMOVED]

Also that City Connect is something I would buy

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

4 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Jimmy’s Right man. I used to be that guy. I was young and stupid. 

Also that City Connect is something I would buy

Once again, I apologize if I've upset anyone here, I let the more "ambitious" and "carefree" tendencies get the best of me, in that instance. 

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png

4 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

Once again, I apologize if I've upset anyone here, I let the more "ambitious" and "carefree" tendencies get the best of me, in that instance. 

Understandable, that happened to me too

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

14 hours ago, SpenserRM said:

And now for the San Antonio Monarchs...

The main logo posted above features the cap logo inside of the shape (idk what it's called) that is used by the City of San Antonio, which is inspired by the Spanish. 

The cap logo and jersey script are inspired (the cap is just a replica plus a crown) of the 1950-60s San Antonio Missions. The secondary logo on the sleeve is a stylized Monarch that I drew with a baseball bat for a thorax and a crown on its head. 

spacer.png

The road uniforms feature the colors of Fiesta, an annual festival in San Antonio to celebrate the Tejano and Hispanic heritage of the region. The block San Antonio is inspired by the original San Antonio baseball teams of the late 19th century. 

spacer.png

The alternate road uniforms feature a black jersey with a script San Antonio and fiesta color gradient outline. The cap uses the script M from the Monarchs wordmark, also with the fiesta colors. 

FvE5bx6WIAMlh0P?format=jpg&name=large

The city connect leans even further into the Fiesta colors and symbolism. The fonts used are inspired by the various fonts used for Fiesta graphics, in fiesta colors. It also uses the Spanish name, Monarcas, rather than Monarchs. The primary logo in this case is the Monarch. 

FvE5bx4X0AMnBBM?format=jpg&name=large

The Heritage uniforms are replicas of the 1939 San Antonio Missions uniforms, the Texas League affiliate of the St. Louis Browns. 

FvE5bx5XsAEvFrY?format=jpg&name=large

Great job with San Antonio! The scripts and use of the fiesta colors are really inspired. 

I'd love to see the gradient effect applied to the "A" in the "SA" monogram. I might go as far as to suggest dropping silver altogether. I think you could amp up your use of the fiesta colors on the home uniform in a tasteful way, and by removing silver, the design would also look less like the White Sox. 

Also, is the body of the butterfly a baseball bat? If so, that's genius. 

19 hours ago, maxwasson said:

Don't sweat it, sometimes I do get carried away here especially when it comes to the Yankees

As for the Monarchs/Monarcas concept... WHOA

• Like 1

The next team on the list is the only one I had ever planned on making. A city and state very near and dear to my heart. Primary logo today, full set by Friday night.

There was only one name even considered for this one.

The Oklahoma City 89ers

spacer.png

• Like 4

spacer.png

So slight change of plans, I've been busying on the job hunt while also still working. I graduate from OSU next month so I've been doing interviews and all that fun stuff. Actually just got rejected by the State of Oklahoma yesterday (ironic). But for some backstory as to why I chose OKC: I was born here, moved away as a baby to Florida. Spent every summer growing up in the area, I love the state itself. It's just so naturally beautiful to me, seeing as I grew up in the swamp in south Florida... 

Anyways, I'm only posting the home and road sets today.

Why the 89ers? Well, if you're familiar with the state, and OKC specifically, you'd know just how important 1889 was to the area. The federal government opened up central Oklahoma (The Unassigned Lands) to settlers on April 22nd, 1889 at Noon. By sunset most of the cities in central Oklahoma had been founded, including OKC.  The current OKC Dodgers started in 1962 as the 89ers and stayed that way until 1997. The other names used by previous teams are or were already used in MLB (Mets, Senators, Indians) or are just plain bad names (Boosters). 89ers was the obvious choice for me. 

Home: I wasn't intending on this being so similar to the Thunder color scheme, it just kind of happened that way. The blue comes from the Oklahoma flag, the orange represents the clay soil throughout Oklahoma. And you can't have an Oklahoma based team without using the state of Oklahoma as a logo in some fashion.  And of course Johnny Bench is the individual on the back of the jersey, easily the most famous of OKC's long history of producing MLB superstars. 

FvXwrYlXgAgw0Cn?format=jpg&name=large

Road: I went with a light blue base for the road uniforms, rather than grey. It just looked better in my opinion. I also made the blue a darker shade of blue to compensate and because honestly it just looks good this way. Oklahoma City felt like too much to put on the uniform, plus everyone just calls it OKC anyways. The cap also features an 89ers emblem, rather than OKC, as a nod to the original 89ers who did the same for many decades. 

FvXwrYbXoAE4Cr6?format=jpg&name=large

The rest of the set will come eventually, I'm just pretty busy atm. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

Regarding the interlocking SA logo, you can probably get away with removing the crossbar of the A, and use the loop of the S to serve in that stead and somewhat de-clutter that fine logo.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 5/8/2023 at 4:53 AM, mrcubfan415 said:

I was thinking of Twisters for OKC, but maybe you’re saving that name for a different team.

I wasn't interested in naming a team after something that regularly harms the people of Oklahoma. It feels insensitive to me. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 10 months later...

Surprise, I'm still alive.

At long lost, an update to this series. The Heritage uniform for OKC is a replica of the 1983 89ers uniforms worn by the AAA team currently in OKC (who has also happened to switch back to the 89ers aesthetic themselves since my last post). 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, SpenserRM said:

Surprise, I'm still alive.

At long lost, an update to this series. The Heritage uniform for OKC is a replica of the 1983 89ers uniforms worn by the AAA team currently in OKC (who has also happened to switch back to the 89ers aesthetic themselves since my last post). 

spacer.png

The heritage is just *chef's kiss.* I can definitely imagine this being a 1983 jersey. But I do think the pants could use the striping the sleeve cuffs use (but as vertical lines, not horizontal). Other than that, it's perfect.

And to finish up this set, the final two alternate uniforms for Oklahoma City.

The 'Oklahoma' uniform. The pants are Oklahoma clay, the jersey fades into the sky blue used on the state flag. The front of the jersey features 'Oklahoma City' in full rather than OKC. The cap is the same as the standard home but with an orange button. 

spacer.png

The second alternate is... I couldn't come up with an interesting name for it. It's just blue, navy blue. 

spacer.png

I'm working on the next city already, I'll post the whole 5 uniform set when it's done.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Great design for the Heritage jerseys. Both just the OKC and the logo with the map are really well done. I imagine the stadium would have something similar like Minute Maid, but rather than a train you have a cart, and some plastic horses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, coco1997 said:

Great job with San Antonio! The scripts and use of the fiesta colors are really inspired. 

I'd love to see the gradient effect applied to the "A" in the "SA" monogram. I might go as far as to suggest dropping silver altogether. I think you could amp up your use of the fiesta colors on the home uniform in a tasteful way, and by removing silver, the design would also look less like the White Sox. 

Also, is the body of the butterfly a baseball bat? If so, that's genius. 

Love the secondary logo