MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Beautiful work as always!

Thank you! Credit goes to you for the inspiration!

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This feels like it could be the spiritual successor to the Buffalo BufFeds/Blues of the Federal League, right down to the logo. 

Interesting, I did not know about the Buffalo Blues!

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Side note, as @DCarp1231 previously alluded to, this article confirms that an attempt to purchase and relocate the Pirates to Indianapolis was made in 1985. Couldn't find anything about the A's, though.

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Full script-

spacer.png

I really hope these folks were reimbursed.

I also didn't realize that about the Indianapolis Arrows, I was always under the impression from @SFGiants58's version that they would have been an expansion team. Truth be told, I already have a set ready for them, I just wasn't sure if it was the right fit in this series. Now that there's more solid evidence, I might have to find a way to slot them in.

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Also, there’s not much sauce to this pasta, but apparently Angotti wasn’t the only one vying for the Twins in ‘84. Donald Trump offered the most money, but lost presumably to his noncommittal to keeping the team in the Minnesota. The former also sent a letter to Cleveland with the intention of bidding for them a year prior in 1983.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/donald-trump-had-the-top-bid-on-the-minnesota-twins-in-1984-but-lost/amp/

There’s honestly nothing definitive in the article or any I’ve searched that says the Twins or (now)Guardians would’ve been moved to New York or New Jersey, but it would’ve been likely.

EDIT: Found an article that states “many believe” Trump would’ve moved the (now)Guardians to Tampa

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2015/10/donald_trumps_bid_for_the_clev.html

Another one I didn't know about! Politics aside, I think most people would be glad that neither of these happened.

15 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The Bisons look great and the script is brilliant. Though in a universe without the Expos, would we have even seen Racing Stripes in the MLB?

Thanks! Even if no other team used racing stripes, I imagine the Bison would've/could've followed a similar aesthetic track that the Expos did, and have racing stripes sometime in the 80's.

15 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Speaking of the Expos, after Norfolk failed to land what used to be Expos, there were talks to bring the Marlins to Hampton Roads. The article about the possible relocation is mentioned in the ninth citation for the Norfolk Destroyers post in the Defunct Saga.

I am aware of the potential Norfolk relocations from @SFGiants58's series, but since no name for the team was suggested, I hesitate to do those because it'd be a bit too speculative for my tastes.

• Love 1

What if... the Cardinals relocated to Houston (and changed their name)?

This is the same premise as my original Cardinals → Houston design, but if they instead kept the name of their Minor League club, the Houston Buffaloes (or "Buffs"). 

CC2oOlV.png

k9TIdOk.png

1VoeoZF.png

Jj6n7MR.png

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Houston Buffaloes (Cardinals)]
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I am aware of the potential Norfolk relocations from @SFGiants58's series, but since no name for the team was suggested, I hesitate to do those because it'd be a bit too speculative for my tastes.

Honestly you could probably get around speculating by just going with the Norfolk Tides. Similar to using Bisons in Buffalo. Would be neat to see the Tides in current Marlins colors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I always wondered that if the Norfolk area landed a team (in any sport really), would they use Virginia as a name?  

Not really sure of the dynamics, but I feel it would relate to more of the full metro area (Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Newport News) and even Richmond. 

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure either. Regardless, maybe I'm underestimating the size of Norfolk here, it feels like an odd choice to have a Major League team to me.

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Nice choice for color scheme. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Honestly you could probably get around speculating by just going with the Norfolk Tides. Similar to using Bisons in Buffalo. Would be neat to see the Tides in current Marlins colors.

That's true! I was trying to remember if Norfolk had a Minor League team, I'm surprised I didn't think of them. It's a nice transition from the Marlins name, as well. I do like the Tides' green & orange, though, so if I do them I'd probably want to keep the scheme.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

That's true! I was trying to remember if Norfolk had a Minor League team, I'm surprised I didn't think of them. It's a nice transition from the Marlins name, as well. I do like the Tides' green & orange, though, so if I do them I'd probably want to keep the scheme.

Apparently “Mariners” was the name of choice for the team’s conception, but it was changed to Tides because some newspaper editor schmuck thought it sounded better.

https://www.milb.com/norfolk/ballpark/history

The name "Tides" was selected in a contest conducted by The Virginian-Pilot. Mariners was the name of choice, but editor Robert Mason liked the sound and alliteration of Tidewater Tides.

Something to consider if you move forward with it. Obviously this potential move would’ve happened well after Seattle’s reintroduction so maybe in this timeline the Pilots never left.

However there are Marlins in the Chesapeake Bay. Hell, one was caught by some famous basketball player. So basically I just info dumped for nothing lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

If you end up doing the Tides, I’d recommend a design based on their original 1993-2015 look:

110508-7663438Fr.jpg

Their current color scheme is more interesting, but these uniforms felt more MLB-caliber. And hell, it already looks like there’s a giant Nike swoosh incorporated into the wordmark itself. :wink2:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If you end up doing the Tides, I’d recommend a design based on their original 1993-2015:

110508-7663438Fr.jpg

Their current color scheme is more interesting, but these uniforms felt more MLB-caliber. And hell, it already looks like there’s a giant Nike swoosh incorporated into the wordmark itself. :wink2:

As much as I like their current seahorse branding, you're probably right, in that it doesn't quite feel Major League enough. It's close to being on the level of the Nashville Sounds & Charlotte Knights as far as being MLB ready, but it's not quite there. I'll see what I can do!

15 minutes ago, teeray01 said:

Houston Buffaloes looks great!  I like the colors.  I wonder what it would look like with the name shortened to Buffs.

I think it'd be a solid replacement on the yellow alt in particular:

iq0RHm8.png

• Like 7

What if... the Athletics relocated to Washington?

As @coco1997 shared, in 1977 Charlie O. accused the Commissioner of plotting to switch the A’s to the NL and move them to DC, which he admitted had been considered. The red white & blue of the Kansas City A's would work well in the nation's capital.

103Bj8B.png

DbG5u6O.png

BHOn8iH.png

DCUxuDn.png

• Like 9

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Athletics]
16 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Athletics relocated to Washington?

As @coco1997 shared, in 1977 Charlie O. accused the Commissioner of plotting to switch the A’s to the NL and move them to DC, which he admitted had been considered. The red white & blue of the Kansas City A's would work well in the nation's capital.

103Bj8B.png

DbG5u6O.png

BHOn8iH.png

DCUxuDn.png

Looks great! Pretty much a perfect marriage of the A’s and Nationals’ identities.

If I could make one suggestion, I’d add a white stroke around the road gray’s script & numbers, so that the front of the jersey picks up the white from the sleeves. Alternatively, you could make the white sleeve stripes gray. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Looks great! Pretty much a perfect marriage of the A’s and Nationals’ identities.

If I could make one suggestion, I’d add a white stroke around the road gray’s script & numbers, so that the front of the jersey picks up the white from the sleeves. Alternatively, you could make the white sleeve stripes gray. 

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to try a version without the white outline, but this probably does look better:

oKJGqLQ.png

• Like 2

What if... the Marlins relocated to San Antonio?

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said publicly in 2006 that talks with San Antonio were "serious," but it was still likely a ploy to get a new stadium in Miami. Using the "Missions" name & combining it with "Fiesta" colors made sense.

UxA65Tu.png

YV6uI2Z.png

zh3T45O.png

GCcxL93.png

• Like 13

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [San Antonio Missions (Marlins)]

What if... the Cowboys remained in Kansas City?

The Cowboys (or "Blues") existed until 1901 when they moved to Washington and became the Senators, who eventually became the Twins. Brown & Longhorn burnt orange felt like a fitting color scheme for this team.

JSAsw2J.png

mV0CFm8.png

BVi3Jy2.png

YZlJuC5.png

• Like 11
  • Love 6

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Kansas City Cowboys]
4 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Cowboys remained in Kansas City?

The Cowboys (or "Blues") existed until 1901 when they moved to Washington and became the Senators, who eventually became the Twins. Brown & Longhorn burnt orange felt like a fitting color scheme for this team.

JSAsw2J.png

mV0CFm8.png

BVi3Jy2.png

YZlJuC5.png

Love that shoulder patch! Reminds me a lot of the Royals alternate logo in 2005, also very coincidental for the both of us to upload Kansas City Cowboys concepts with similar color schemes within 3 days of each other.

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png