Rugby League Branding Exercise

Davidson

Hello CCSL,

Been a while since I was last here, ten years it seems!

I have moved away from sports branding in recent years as I have been running an animation company.

We work a great deal in sports (we work with F1, the NFL, Canadian Olympic teams, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball etc), but I have had little chance to work in sports branding in recent times.

Recently I have wanted to get more involved in sports design and as such decided this month (with a little down time) that I'm going to work on a small project.

This project brands all the top grade footy teams of the NRL and Super League (domestic Rugby League competions of Australia and the UK). I hope you enjoy, I'm trying to post one a day.

Click on the team link to take you through to Dribbble to see the accompanying animations for each team. Stills of the Logo and Uniform, I'll post here. I hope you enjoy.

First up, the Sydney Roosters, bonus points for identifying the local icons.

Original Logo

spacer.png

Sydney Roosters

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Davidson
Update images
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 2

1 minute ago, the_grateful_ted said:

Outstanding can’t wait to see more! Wouldn’t be surprised if that roosters concept is still my favorite when the series gets wrapped up 🐔 

Ha, damn. It's my favourite, thats why I posted it first. Enjoy the downhill slope...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad people have enjoyed these. Next up, it's St Helens. The Saints play in the English (and a bit French) Super League and current World Club Champions.

St Helens RLFC logo suffers slightly from the Liverpool FC crest (from just down the road) in that it has grown in size and complexity as a series of outer crests have been added to the original.

This design comprising just the core brand elements of the monogram and the chevron from the jersey seeks to reduce it back to a simple original look.

Original Logo

spacer.png

St Helens

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Cronulla - Sutherland Sharks today. Not an original logo/type lockup concept, but I wanted to make it work here and give the overall shape a crest outline. I like the idea of using the colours of the logo rather than a keyline to create separation using a few colour ways.

Original Logo

spacer.png

Cronulla - Sutherland Sharks

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I love love love the rooster with the Sydney Opera House and what looks like a hidden, blue Made in Australia kangaroo! Gorgeous logo that's light-years ahead of the IRL logo.

Also really clever use of the NZ text; nice cleanup work overall. I'm a little curious if the left side of the N could also have a side divot to mirror the Z, just so the face has two eyebrows and to match the Z's bottom divot. 

That Sharks logo is also gorgeous! Love the lockup and color options. The triangular, unbounded composition is just so pleasant. Would also work excellently for San Jose hockey.

The Rhinos shield is really good, except the ears kinda feel more like antennae to me?? Idk...

Also the whole animations and presentation are just so breathtaking. I didn't think it was possible to make halftone even better than it already was 😂 

On 10/8/2023 at 8:38 AM, vtgco said:

I love love love the rooster with the Sydney Opera House and what looks like a hidden, blue Made in Australia kangaroo! Gorgeous logo that's light-years ahead of the IRL logo.

Also really clever use of the NZ text; nice cleanup work overall. I'm a little curious if the left side of the N could also have a side divot to mirror the Z, just so the face has two eyebrows and to match the Z's bottom divot. 

That Sharks logo is also gorgeous! Love the lockup and color options. The triangular, unbounded composition is just so pleasant. Would also work excellently for San Jose hockey.

The Rhinos shield is really good, except the ears kinda feel more like antennae to me?? Idk...

Also the whole animations and presentation are just so breathtaking. I didn't think it was possible to make halftone even better than it already was 😂 

Thanks, much appreciated.

I think the chip in the side of the N would slightly confuse the N to be honest, I dont think theres a neat way to have a very symmetrical NZ monogram tbh.

Re the Rhino ears,  they curl up into these funny tubes, I was trying to get some of that into them, but I can see what you mean.

3 hours ago, Davidson said:

Gold Coast Titans, a relatively recent addition (2007) to the NRL. Always a little sad when teams choose names that have no local significance, so I've tried to work in a coastal / sunshine theme.

Original Logo

spacer.png

Gold Coast Titans

original-5508b3308291ebf4af2a2d7697b31bc

original-ea006689eac775ccc8396e2daea52e1

Yes… YES! Love this one, nothing but good things so far 

• Like 1